Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin: Wheel of Life

The anniversary tour...

... yes that was the strongest. I doubt they'll be able to do another like that one for a while.

Wong Ying Home - Where did you see the show?

I think what intrigues me about wheel is the concept of doing it as a play. It's unprecedented. And for those of us who've seen several Shaolin and MA performances, well, certainly we are jaded. I'm not sure that the general public is anymore educated - perhaps they are more used to extreme stuff. Shaolin warriors that came through in 2000 - well, I thought it was the weakest so far - but it got a sold out, standing ovation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up Wheel of Life

I'm going to go check them out at the beacon here in NYC. I'll let you guys know how it was.
    The Tiger has Spoken.

Wheel of life

I didnt know they were playing at the Beacon? I got front row tickets to the show in Atlantic City @the Taj. I think the Shaolin warriors are playing at the beacon? Check your tickets to makesure your seeing the right thing? On the wheels website the only shows on the east coast are at the Taj. Anyway have fun.....

Ted

Gene

I saw the wheel of life tour in 1990 in the Uk and perfromed alongside them in 1991 at a show in the UK.

It must have been 7 years or so ago when the first troupe came over maybe a bit longer, I guess in those days maybe even Shi Yan Ming was still in teh team, those guys were awesome back then.

This lot are lacking the old gaurd training and are only intermediate in their skill
    Kune Belay Sau

Are you sure about that?

WYH: I don't think Wheel of life goes back to 1990. Do you mean just a Shaolin monk tour?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene - Doh !

Gene,

You are totally correct...it was about 1.30am that I replied after having taught classes from 2.00pm till 10.00pm...dead head more like.

Saw the Wheel of life 1999, and performed along
    side them at a show in 2001 (not 1991)

The Shaolin Monks tour was 7 years or so ago...must remember to get more sleep, it's 1.30am again.
    Kune Belay Sau

That's cool

we like dead heads...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

deadheadz

speak for yourself hippy!!

1. I have a video called Shaolin Temple fighting monks. They perform in some gymnasium in Seatlle and it features Shi Goulin and Shi Yanming. I don't have fighting monks part 2 (it's in German?!). It's cool, but they utilize a codeine speed slo-motion that is kind of annoying. Fire tongue rules
    2. I'm going to Wheel of Life on Saturday in Boston. Only ticket I could get was obstructed view, but hopefully I 'll manage to worm my way...

what?! no hippy chicks?

then I'm outta here...

The video that features Guolin and Yanming together was that first U.S. tour in '92. It finished in S.F. where they both defected. Wah Lum still sells that video since Chan Pui (a shaolin disiciple himself) was one of the promoters of that tour and one of the first to make pilgrimages to Songshan Shaolin.

too many buttons

I was using the other terminal and didn't realize the last guy left it logged on as KFQ Admin.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I enjoyed Wheel of Life a great deal. A few criticisms to no one in particular
    1. Some of the more uptemp/modern music was kind of cheesy.
    2. The pole hitting stomach thing wasn't really explained. I'm familiar with it, but it was sort of hard to tell what they were doing.
    3. My biggest gripe, though it is the most futile one: No women. I understand the nature of the temple life, it's just that the show transcended so much except for that. Maybe someone could do an all women's tour, like that King's/Queen's of Comedy videos. Bernie Mac could tell jokes to warm up the crowd

Shaolin nuns

Funny you should mention that. My last trip I had the honor of training in shaolin's nunnery. The nuns are very secretive - they really shun the limelight. I've been trying to get a story on them for several years but it's very difficult. While they let me train in their courtyard, thanks to the grace of my master Decheng, they would not let me take a single picture of them.
    Still, any tour is mainly layman disciples and students, and there are girls hwo train at Shaolin. The ones that make it are really tough - like the first women in the military.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey gene.

what was it like training at the nunnery. is there a name for their temple? r they as strong as the guys at shaolin?it would really be amazing if there was an article done on them

Zizaian is the name os Shaolin's nunnery

The nuns are very secretive, so I haven't seen them demonstrate. They've seen me, but I doubt they were impressed.
    It was really an honor to practice there - it was me and our editor's husband - very idyllic with incense wafted through and chanting in the background - just like most people's fantasy of Shaolin. I finally found that space after some 7 years of training at Shaolin...

There are actually two nunneries - one that is formally part of Shaolin and another that is across the valley from Shaolin, although not connected (name escpaes me at the moment, but I'll look it up if you really want to know...) Both are very peaceful - what one might expect from a Buddhist nunnery.
    They wish to remain quiet, and as much as I'd like to break their story, I honor their request for privacy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

that's a crazy story. I'd never even heard of those places. In the snake form video (bob klein one) the guy talks about learning the form from a nun on Wudang Mt.