Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yip Man Issued Teaching Certificates....

Yip Man Issued Teaching Certificates....

For the Yip Man Lineage people....

Question - Just wondering how many WC teachers who claim that they learned WC to a competent level (usually more than six years) from the late Yip Man can produce Yip Man's teaching certificate?

Yip Man gave teaching/finishing certificate to competent people who finished the WC open hand system (weapons not included). The issued Certificates had a special YM stamp (Chop) stamped on them.

Beyond the "known" old timers within the Yip Man lineage, it would be interesting to see how many present day instructors can produce this document.

Likewise, how many younger instructors today have a VTAA Instructor's Certificate signed by a known elder?

I always advise new students to look for these documents...there are too many cheap people cheating the public these days.

John D.:said-Likewise, how many younger instructors today have a VTAA Instructor's Certificate signed by a known elder?

I always advise new students to look for these documents...there are too many cheap people cheating the public these days.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    John..
    An honest question.
    As the VTAA has evolved many old timers have died, moved and become inactive- except for a few like TST.
    In your opinion what is the current quality control at the VTAA?
    joy

wondering stage

JohnD Good question, I am wondering if it would be actually possible to research this ourselves. A record of the certificates have to be on file somewhere and accessable somehow, hmmmm.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Interesting topic,

I have never heard of any certificates issued by Yip Man, though that doesn't mean they do or do not exist. I wonder if he passed these out throughout his career starting with Lun Gai in Futsan, or if it was something he did towards the end after many of the senior students left.

You also mention that people should ask for such certifications. I wonder, who is known to have such certifications? I may have to switch ; )

Tom
    ________
    Motorcycle Tires
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Question All about the benjamins?

So, if Lok Yiu doesn't have a cert then he didn't learn Wing Chun from Yip Man to a level of competancy?

Not too long ago there was some weekend seminar with some of the HK old timers where certifications were issued here in the US.

Does that mean those folks have completed the Wing Chun System training? Did ANYONE who paid their cash FLUNK and not get a certificate?

Seems more like a revenue generation thing than a skill devleopment thing.

No doubt there MAY be some recognized elders with these documents who also have the skill to back them up.

I wonder if Allan Lee and Duncan Leung have such certificates as they were private students of Yip Man? Does William Cheung have one? What about Leung Ting?

Are there any of the certificates on display in the new Ip Man hall of fame?
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Hi John.

This is also the first I've heard of such certificates from Ip Man, though well aware of those from the VTAA and similar sources.

I too would like to see more tangible evidence of their existence. I never hear Ip Man's students flaunting them, never saw photo copies or on the internet, never even heard anyone mention them before. With all the bickering about who has the goods and who doesn't, it is hard to believe this hasn't come up before if they really exist, regardless of their true genesis, purpose or merit.

I am not trying to play devil's advocate, but my naturally skeptical mind can't help wanting more. Even a list of who you think got them or who didn't, and on what basis you believe that would be enough to get a possibly productive debate going. Or at least a flame war with a new twist, LOL.

FWLIW, I would be highly reluctant to trust any such a piece of paper as a reliable indicator of quality instruction from any source in Wing Chun. I wish assurances of quality were as simple as "show me your papers" or the color of your belt.

But again, I'm a natural born skeptic, the value of which has been born out in my personal experience, so it could just be me.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Re: Yip Man Issued Teaching Certificates....

Originally posted by John D

Hi John,

I can't provide anyone with Wing Chun certification, and never will, but I'll provide a "Certificate of Sanity," suitable for framing to anyone who believes that Yip Man issued certificates.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

I have a receipt from an Opium Den does that count?

Yip Man Issued Teaching Certificates....

For the Yip Man Lineage people....

Question - Just wondering how many WC teachers who claim that they learned WC to a competent level (usually more than six years) from the late Yip Man can produce Yip Man's teaching certificate?

Yip Man gave teaching/finishing certificate to competent people who finished the WC open hand system (weapons not included). The issued Certificates had a special YM stamp (Chop) stamped on them.

Beyond the "known" old timers within the Yip Man lineage, it would be interesting to see how many present day instructors can produce this document.

Likewise, how many younger instructors today have a VTAA Instructor's Certificate signed by a known elder?

Hi John,

Would you post a picture of your Yip Man certificate so we can see what we're missing?

I've never heard of Yip Man passing out certification.

IMO, no one completes the system, just new insights open up at each progressive plateau of skill acquisition.

Thanks.
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

John, were Yeung Sifu's teachers (Wong Long and Wong Tsok) given such certificates?

Just a curious question.....the history of the Hawaii WC clan has always been of interest to me. Likewise, is there any other info you could share with me, besides the information on the Hawaii WC website, about Robert Yeung, Wong Long, or Wong Tsok?

Thanks

Jesse Wiseman

To: Tongue_of_Colibob

The Yip Man Certificates are real......

Wong Chok, Wong Long, and Robert Yeung have the YM certificates. I am sure most, it not all, the old timers who completed the Wooden Dummy got a certificate from Yip Man.

a travesty of a mockery of a sham

To: Tongue_of_Colibob

The Yip Man Certificates are real......

Wong Chok, Wong Long, and Robert Yeung have the YM certificates. I am sure most, it not all, the old timers who completed the Wooden Dummy got a certificate from Yip Man.
    The old man must have really needed the money. To quote my sig, "This is a travesty of a mockery of a sham."

Even if you were to produce the evidence, that's not the point. The point isn't what went on in the final desperate days of Yip Man's life, but what comes after. If we in his line can clean up the unfortunate parts of the legacy, sweep out the deadwood and others to integrate WC's disparate standards, the sky's the limit.

The path to this is not in issuing certificates.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

How far do you take this ....

Did Yip Man receive a certification from Chan Wa Shun or Leung Bik?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

what happens if we go back and find out that ng mui didn't earn her certificate?

all those centures, man ...
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

John D,

This is interesting, I have never heard this. Is there any way we could see it? This would be something that I would consider pretty valuable.

To the others,
    I concure that a cert is not the end all be all. In fact it is just a paper. However, Tell me, honestly, how you would feel if Yip Man gave you a cert in wing chun. Easy to criticize when you aint got one. 8 P

As for me, I got 2 or 3 certs from Eddie Chong. What does that mean? Nothing, but I got 'em. I still suck LOL.

Tom
    ________
    PANIC DISORDERS FORUMS
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:30 PM.