Thread: JKD question

JKD question

I have been studying Wing Chun for a while with a mix of Kick/Boxing and some AkiJitsu. And I was curiouse, does the JKD system still use the Wing Chun dummy? I know Bruce Lee changed some things around but is that one of the things that was kept from WC?

hello

As far as I understand Bruce learned the first 48 movements of the mook Jong . He did not learn the remaining movements . I heard in hong kong before he died WSL offered to show him the remaining part of the set along with some bil gee but Bruce had no intrest whatsoever .

As far as if JKD schools use the "wooden man " I would have to ask you which one ? There are so many different offshoots and JKD schools . Some have pretty much abandoned most of the WC in JKD .

I do know and practice when I can the wooden dummy so I am one JKD practioner (COREJFJKD ) that still does use it .

Hope that helps

RF-

P.S I came from a WC backround so I knew the set before I seriously practiced JKD so if some schools use the dummy set it is from Ip man .

Last thing is Bruce lee's stuident Dan inosanto in tribute to Bruce lee made up his version of his jkd dummy set . It is quite different from the WC version .
    Last edited by Rafael; 11-15-2002 at 01:47 PM.

Every JKD school and every JKD teacher is very, very different.

What Bruce Lee learned or did not learn has little to do with what is practiced today .

I use a traditional WC dummy. Some JKD have a special JKD dummy, and some others have even more special and different JKD dummys. The important thing is effective training method, and effective training methods are measured by whether or not they produce effective and useable skills, for each individual 'artist.'

Strickly speaking to your question, if you read John Little's publishing of Bruce Lee's notes, you would find evidence to support many different angles on JKD: some BL quotes completly deride TMA, TMA methods (like forms, stance, etc) - others support.

Jun Fan Gung Fu used a wing chun dummy, and a dummy drills where included as a regular part of the cirriculum. Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do also had dummy drills, and the JKD taught by Guro Inosanto under Bruce Lee also contained dummy drills.

I would say that most schools/teachers today that claim to teach and practice JKD do not use dummys.
    strike!

Thanks for the info. I don't know too much about the different branches and wings of JKD. The reason I wonder is that I find the dummy to be a very useful tool in training, if done corectly like anything else. So I was curiouse if JKD still uses it. I guess it really just depends on the school.

Our JKD school uses it.

Hello Cipher!

I train on the mook jong daily! I find it to be an incredible tool for my Jeet Kune Do training, especially when a partner is not available! I have the JKD Mook Jong from Great Lion ( http://www.woodendummy.net ). It is by far the best mook jong that I have ever had the pleasure to work with! I will be opening a new academy soon, and we plan to have at least five mook jongs there! So yes, the mook jong is still a very important and much used tool for some Jeet Kune Do practitioners!
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"

Mook

I also train on the Mook Jung daily, doing both the Wing Chung set and freestyle. As Sifu Davis said, it enables you to always have a training partner. I also use it alot to demonstrate techniques to the people I train with before I do the technique with them. It enables them to actually see the technique before they feel it. I personally have a JKD version of The Warrior. I also bought the spring arm attachments as well as the wooden arms, which enables you to train on it with a more lifelike feel then the wooden arms, which I use for banging on. The other advantage is that it is portable.

www.thewarrior.com

Hope to see you soon Sifu

Hope this reply helps

Joe Melton
    Last edited by meltdown51; 11-28-2002 at 06:12 PM.