Thread: The old emperors have not gone away, they've just changed clothes.

The old emperors have not gone away, they've just changed clothes.

http://rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/fc/wor...pments/story/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...a_politics_113

article on chinas new PM.

It seems that a controlling force that decrees successors and does not answer to the people is the same as a monarchy. Now its a polyarchy.

I'm sorry if you were expecting the usual "emperors new clothes" discussion.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 11-16-2002 at 03:45 AM.

Talking Sifu Abel

Hot darn! I am impressed. You have above average political intelligence (an oxymoron) then most of the so-called political advisors or analyists. *two thumbs up* BTW, retirement is not really in the Chinese work ethics. The only retirement from your trade is when you take a dirt nap for good. :P

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

In a reference to complaints about China's human rights policies, Zhu reminded Tuesday's audience Canada did not end discriminatory laws against Chinese until 1947 or formally guarantee them equal civil rights until 1967.
    Unfortunately, this is true. The effect of government on the people governed is a double edged sword.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Red face Well...

Kung Lek,

I hear you. It is a rather interesting quote since Zhu here is reminiscent of Confuciusim (mind your household before minding the world), which once upon a time was deemed not "healthy" for the new China. As a Chinese Canadian (a double whamy), I can only say that Canadian domestic policies are very puzzling as how this Country still stands as a country. I still remember the coined mock title of "honorary third world country" at the height of national deficit budget era. I confess that I felt it and not a joke. Foreign policies wise, we are no more then a pee-vee league team trying to play along side the major leagues. Not only the big guy next door ignors your "good" intention to be friendly and helpful, but you are pull into his whimp of raising his private war as his scarifical lamb. The only pathetic consolation prize is being the top ten targets on a hit list of a mad terrorist on the run. Unless the politican/think tank (so-called leaders) of Canada smarten up, we will remain no more than comedians not Canadians to most folks out there. Pride ourselves on doing much for human rights, which we have been trying hard, is not going to get us anywhere. More domestic focus, cleaning house so to speak, is needed before looking beyond.

Sorry about the rant but hate to see a lovely country such as Canada unwittingly doing so poorly.

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

In 1992, I visited Hong Kong.

I predicted then that the "3 Ms" would take down China:

Madonna
    Michael Jackson
    McDonald's.

Talking

Yepp,
    Michael Jackson and McDonalds are hard at work.
    Not sure 'bout Madonna though..... but 2 out of 3 aint bad

I feel that such a system of repression is so complete, large. . and so comprehensive that it must ultimatly collapse under it's own gigantic weight. I can only hope that governments such as the current Chinese government are so controlling as to be self-destructive , no matter what face they put on their activities.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

"Not only the big guy next door ignors your "good" intention to be friendly and helpful, but you are pull into his whimp of raising his private war as his scarifical lamb."

http://www.snipersparadise.com/articles/2430kill.htm

"All I thought of was Sept. 11th and all those people who didn't have a chance and the American reporter who was taken hostage, murdered and his wife getting the videotape of the execution; that is my justification."

Hardly a private war.

(الاسم) بخور (فعل) يحرق البخور

Just making sure........‏
    Last edited by tnwingtsun; 11-17-2002 at 05:09 PM.