Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fighting styles" of the non-trained

"Fighting styles" of the non-trained

It was brought up in another thread that people in one state generally attack a certain way - a way that is completely different from the norm in my state. Where you are, how does the average altercation start? what types of tactics are used?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Philadelphia / South Jersey:

Assuming the bad guy is right handed and wants to start the brawl......

1) You will get grabbed by his left hand with a bent arm and pulled in.

2) One of two things will then happen (listed in order of likelihood):

- he will then punch with his righthand to your head. If this is the way it starts, it will continue until you break the grip- nothing but rights.
    or
    - he will knee your yarbles or gut-punch you to bring your face down and start pumping uppercuts into your face while holding onto your clothes.
    Last edited by Stranger; 11-17-2002 at 05:53 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

usually where i am back home (scotland) ive noticed 1 of 3 things usually happens:

1) grab then headbutt
    2) push then a football (soccer) type kick
    3) push or suckerpunch

the big kicks are interesting as they usually dont work but people try anyway

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Back in Chi-town:

A shove followed by looping haymakers all the way to pounding on the ground.

Arms wide, chest out 'you wanna take a swing at me' followed by looping haymaker.

A grap of your coat, and repeated banging of your head against an object.

The one arm grab to your chest, while pulling the unseen knife with the other hand.

Jumping around swinging a branch or board.

Bicycle chain or lock chain, wrapped in fist. Usually pulled unseen after a shove.

An amazing tendency to leap and punch to the head.

On the West Coast:
    I haven't seen a real fight yet.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

a shove followed by a quick strike, then followups. If you fall to the ground, they will kick and stomp you.

if you have on a big coat of baggy shirt, they will (if the opportunity is presented, pull your shirt/coat over your head and arms, then beat you while you are helpless
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Stand really close, shouting at you, followed by increasingly heavy pushing. Then succesion of flailing punches and soccer type kicks until a clinch, where one drives the other back until they hit a wall. Ineffectual short punches and knees until somebody gets on top and starts really pounding. Then mates pile in and give a life threatening kicking on the ground.
    This is providing no one brings a knife/bottle/pint glass into play.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Two definately distinct things where ive lived, both of which in Australia.

First is the stupid dissagreement which is usualy due to alchol or escultated emotions.
    1 Posturing - clenching fists, trying to look taller, being verbaly abusive, trying generaly to intimidate.

2 Testing - pushing, faking punches, telling opponent to 'put up your guard.

3 The confrontation is usualy esculated to blows... then its pretty much madhouse time. People 'here' seem to have little idea, likely due to increased emotion levels and stress the often overreact and simply go litteraly nuts. A commen tactic is to stick your head down and then throw contant windmill punches. Often with very little idea if your opponent is even where you are punching. There is occasional bull rushing and a lot of what i call 'blitzing' which is basicaly trying to throw so many punches so quickly your opponent will be overwealmed.
    However people in these situations rarely seem to actively fight on the ground. Most of these style confrontations are about pride and one person either backing down or hitting the floor and not looking like they are in a hurry to get back up are usualy a sign of dominence and enough to stop most of these altercations.

Another interesting thing is in these situations multiples and weapons are *very* rare. These fights are almost purely for pride and anyone or thing 'helping' would be seen as somehow 'cheating'.

The other type of fight is the more serious of the two and usualy occurs very quickly with little or none of the intitial two phases. Multiples and weapons are also often involved. This style is usualy employed by people who fight more often as they know the element of surprise gives them a distinct advantage.

1 Sucker punch - failing this the blitz
    2 Headhunt, most of these type of fights and fighters involve amost exclusive headshots. Obviously both fighters are trying to end this asap, the prevelence of one hit knockouts on the media also seems to make many people think this is the most likely way to victory. Basicaly its throw enough punches at there head in as short a space of time as possible and with any luck at least a few will get in and do some serious damage.
    3 This type of fight usualy has to be proparly ended and as such if one person go's to the floor the other will be stomping or going the GnP.

There fights are very different animals. One is all about pride and is basicaly almost done like a ritual. The other is simply 'one' person doing there best to annilate another in as short as time as possible.

Ive seen loads of the former and thankfully fairly few of the latter.
    Last edited by jon; 11-17-2002 at 02:39 AM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Thumbs up

Yeah.A bit like your stories guys.
    I donīt know of state norms but hereīs how it goes like in here.

A few guys start circling each other a bit looking for openings and looking for fear and "how far they can go".
    There are those basical postural and body language related signs telling of conflict,then it starts getting harder...

Usually at this point another guy forms hanging horse stance and focuses on his opponent trying to root himself and generates chi from the dan tien.
    Other person looks for his fighting style and tries to put in a shot or two,usually using tiger claw,leopard fist or related hand forms and assumes a cat stance.
    Ma bu guy dodges and moves in a with rapid yu fen strikes to opponentīs dim mak points of head and neck region,followed with a lightning kick.
    Another guy now throws a nuki-te which is blocked by upper wrist block and followed with chin-na which tends to be either "Hand seizes the dragonīs head" or "hsuen di joan",sometimes they refer to something different.
    At this point fight usually ends with a penetrating pa kua influenced fa-jing palm strike.

Besides that,I still donīt know of state norms but uncontrolled sucker punch to head region might be one of the most usual attacks.
    Also pushes and grabs may often start a conflict I guess.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Monkey Slap

LOL!! You are SO right about Chi Town fighting!!!

In my experiance it it starts with yelling, then yelling toe to toe face to face as loud as they can, poking the other in the chest then pushing, shoving and the two throwing a flurry of hook/cross looking "Haymakers" till one goes down followed by hard foot stomping untill someone is killed, or his freinds pull him off of his opponent.

Here in Chicago, you are also likely to face the charge in and sucker punch you followed by the grounding and sitting on the chest and pounding away till someone pulls him off, or he gets tired. Then, as he is retereating, he will throw a couple of stomps and last shot kicks wile yelling obsenities and threats to entire families, even the unborn of several generations into the future (Especially the Italian neighborhods).

I have seen guys with TKD experiance punch like a street boxer to really soften them up, and then use a high TKD kick to ground them followed by the kick'em wile they are down sinario. Ribs are the target for most hostiles, but the head is sometimes used when murderous intent or infadelity has occured (usually against the guy she cheated with).

We also like to football tackle followed by the sitting on thier chest and pounding thier head and then stand up and getting some last shot kicks in as it's ending.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 11-17-2002 at 01:11 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

What are you guys up to that you get into so many scrapes? I haven't been involved in a real fight since, like, middle school. I haven't seen one for about ten years (at a really rowdy college party.)

And I live in TEXAS! Austin Texas, sure, but still TEXAS!

My guess; you a bunch of troublemakin' mofos.

All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Here in northern NY. .

I've seen a lot of pushing and standing grapping, which usually ends with:

(a) Someone getting side-kicked (or some approximation of a side kick) in the stomach, pushed of, and maybe punched and kicked some more. The kicked guy usually loses at this pont.

(b) The one who started the grappling will upend the other person and push him over, and maybe send a kick or two his way on the ground.

(c) The gappled starts throwing uppercuts at the guy grappling him and it turns into boxing with crap kicks.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

they are really into bottling people here in wales. london it's knifes in most case.

when it's fistycuffs, the welsh are quite handy with their fists, and there are loads of rugby players. in london it's about getting attacked by groups, haymakers are the order of the day.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

I wonder if a new trend will emerge here - We have gone from a latino population of virtually nil 7 years ago to over 300,000 now. A few years ago, when I was in kali and jun fan, There were some hispanics there that were pretty darn adept in escrima. Also, I've seen a few non-public capoeira groups practicing.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

crap, I forgot this thread was for non-trained people...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

In North Carolina they throw a Vinigar based BBQ sauce at
    cha(the best!),in South Carolina they throw a Mustard based BBQ
    sauce at cha,I've heard that where you live theres some serious
    sauce slinging going on.

Up north they throw garbadge at cha and cuss alot,the way its going now I'd say in five years time most folks will be throwing
    taco sauce at cha!