Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threats and Challenges

Thumbs down Threats and Challenges

I am appalled at the numerous and recurring instances of explicit or implied threats of physical violence on this board in recent weeks, coupled with vain attempts to justify them.

I saw no apparent relevance to the process of learning Wing Chun or martial arts in these instances, but the sort of tit for tat nonsense which spurred the Hatfields and McCoys.

There is no ethical or mature justification for such behavior, IMHO, regardless if such threats are real or hollow. It is disappointing, pitiful, and unbefitting a person of character, good will, or lawfulness to resort to threats of interpersonal violence over disagreements of other sorts, let alone for ethical martial artists to do so. As René alluded elsewhere, those who think their self-interest is served by such things are greatly mistaken.

No one could have the bandwidth to call out every objectionable, irrational, or illogical thing that crosses these boards, and I wouldn't dream of holding any one person accountable for policing such a thing. This sort of thing, however, crosses a line that I for one cannot condone through silence. Those who write and say these sorts of things are responsible unto themselves for it.

I strenuously disapprove, and trust there are others who do as well. Mostly, I hope that the energy of such misguided efforts will be re-channelled toward something more constructive.

So that's my public service announcement on the subject.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Bravo KJ. Once again an elloquent, reasonable, and considered statement.

BTW- On thing that particularly gauls me is that some people justify their behavior by saying they're 'using good wck and going straight to the center.' What tripe. Good WCK is not crude nor brutish, and it does not clash force head-on. Good WCK keeps its balance and allows others to lose theirs. Good WCK accepts an opponent's momentum and subtly alters it to gain the advantage. Good WCK keeps the center and lets the opponent set up their own doom.

I think if people truly wanted to conduct themselves like WCK (rather than just foist their failing off on it), there'd be more better discussion going on here, not less worse.

RR

Thanks, René. Your points re WCK and maintaining center and balance are equally valid.

Regards,
    - kj

Good link to the Hatfields and Mc Coys KJ.
    Real bullets flying.... unlike the Oklahoma -Texas feud early in the 20th century over a bridge on the Red River. The Oklahoma national guard and the texas Rangers faced each other accross a bridge for a while before things cooled down.
    Then once in an Arizona-California feud over the Colorado River water, Arizona even hada navy -rubber boats.
    But the clan feuds in Northern Pakistan and Afghanistan and even in Baluchistan continues to this day and makes the Hatfields and MCCoy stuff- children's games. Real lineage battles. Joy

PS- enough- I hear wing chun training calling.
    Last edited by yuanfen; 11-18-2002 at 03:45 PM.

What a pointless silly post!

I challenge you! Kj!
    strike!

Re: Threats and Challenges

Originally posted by kj
    I am appalled at the numerous and recurring instances of explicit or implied threats of physical violence on this board in recent weeks, coupled with vain attempts to justify them.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    Kathy Jo,

But they started it!

Regards and Thanks for the Fish,
    Last edited by Grendel; 11-21-2002 at 03:15 PM.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Its a full moon tonight- after the meteor showers!
    Grendel do you have your certificates of sanity handy?

There is no room for challenges when we, as wing chun students, can't even bring our wing chun up to par with the last generation.

kung fu books

Fong and Williams

I am writting here because the threads in question are locked. I am distressed because this whole issue is unneccesary.From beginning to its apparent conclusion what has played out has not sat well with me. Initially I was shocked because a man who is my si-hing and friend wrote of receiving threatening e-mails. Then I learned that they were sent from someone whom I would consider to be extended family. Whatever tension has arisen is anchored in the details of the past and is streched tight by ego. There are three important lessons that I have learned from my beloved sifu, Augustine Fong, that I believe are applicable here.
    1) Ego is the biggest obsticle to learning.
    2) Never speak badly about another school. Ever.
    3) Wing Chun is as varied as the individuals who practise it.

I would never presume to speak for my sifu, but I doubt that he would endourse any animosity between schools. He might even encourage us to see the beauty in the diversity and learn from each other. Before this "discussion" ends I would like to add something to the exchange. I would like to extend my support to Randy Williams and his students. May your school prosper and your knowledge and appreciation of Wing Chun grow ever deeper. By all acounts that I have heard, and not limited to this forum, he is a good man and a good teacher. I,as an individual and as a student of Fong's, hold nothing agaisnt him or his students. The past makes us who we are, but it should not be a constant burdon. Let's move on.
    And to my si-hings (Joy, Patrick and anyone else who kicks my @ss at reunion seminars I look forward to seeing you again soon. I always value your experience and wisdom.

Train well, Be well
    Emmet Roache

ps
    All grammatical mistakes are mine and are a reflection on me trying to do too much at the start of a work day. They not reflect on my sifu or his knowledge of the english language.
    thnk U

Great stuff, kj! Behind you 100%...

I think we all have something in common: love for WC and martial arts in general, love for your sifu and sihings, love for people who spend their lives refining their skill and themselves. And if that's true, then as far as I'm concerned, your heart's in the right place (even if your arms and legs aren't ).
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Originally posted by yuanfen
    Its a full moon tonight- after the meteor showers!
    Grendel do you have your certificates of sanity handy?
    I don't have enough for everyone. Some will have to share.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Re: Fong and Williams

Originally posted by roache
    I am distressed because this whole issue is unneccesary.From beginning to its apparent conclusion what has played out has not sat well with me. Initially I was shocked because a man who is my si-hing and friend wrote of receiving threatening e-mails. Then I learned that they were sent from someone whom I would consider to be extended family. Whatever tension has arisen is anchored in the details of the past and is streched tight by ego. There are three important lessons that I have learned from my beloved sifu, Augustine Fong, that I believe are applicable here.
    1) Ego is the biggest obsticle to learning.
    2) Never speak badly about another school. Ever.
    3) Wing Chun is as varied as the individuals who practise it.

Hello Emmet,

Well said. I am sorry others have had to read all this mess. I made the mistake of talking poorly about someone in regards to second hand information. Even had I been present to witness anything that went on between Sifu and Mr. Williams, I should know better than to talk poorly of someone. It is something I usually don't do and know it is something sifu teaches us not to ever do. My mistake. PG

(QUOTE)
    I would never presume to speak for my sifu, but I doubt that he would endourse any animosity between schools. He might even encourage us to see the beauty in the diversity and learn from each other.

Well said again. PG.

(QUOTE)
    Before this "discussion" ends I would like to add something to the exchange. I would like to extend my support to Randy Williams and his students. May your school prosper and your knowledge and appreciation of Wing Chun grow ever deeper. By all acounts that I have heard, and not limited to this forum, he is a good man and a good teacher. I,as an individual and as a student of Fong's, hold nothing agaisnt him or his students. The past makes us who we are, but it should not be a constant burdon. Let's move on.

Again, very well said. PG.

((QUOTE)
    And to my si-hings (Joy, Patrick and anyone else who kicks my @ss at reunion seminars I look forward to seeing you again soon. I always value your experience and wisdom.

Good to hear from you. I am glad someone came forward to speak as Sifu would want...you beat me to it, ****! I will still write something soon in order to apolagize for my mis-conduct. I also want to remind any other Fong people on this chat site how sifu would want you to behave when concerning or dealing with other persons, styles, families etc. take care, sincerely,

Patrick Gordon.

Train well, Be well
    Emmet Roache

Xu Xiaodong MMA vs Pressure Point Wing Chun - Ip Man Wing Chun Tested

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

well......I didnt see any wing chun here lol he needs to find better challengers and ambassadors of these arts he wants to debunk, there are WAY too many better fighters for him to put this show on, with the face paint. My niece could have beat up the pressure point man and she 9 years old lol
    the video title is pure clickbait and insults Ip Man and Wing Chun smh

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 05-29-2019 at 07:58 AM.