Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Why have we yet to see a REAL CMA in the UFC?

Willow Sword...but in Brazil...the only rule is no eye gouging and biting. So the US and Japan have a watered down version. The fact remains...there have been that have come and competed and the rest just stay silent.
    A

Sigh...

Once again... don't like UFC rules? Look at PRIDE rules or go to Brazil and fight vale tudo there. Quite frankly PRIDE would probably JUMP at the chance to have a CMA "Master," in the ring. Revenue is good.

Bottom line--if you want it bad enough, you'll do it. Most CMA guys just don't care.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Most CMA guys just don't care.
    maybe they do care.....

about staying in one piece.

LOL...oh no...the latest new excuse is Fear of Injuries!!!
    A

I believe your right Merry.

Your typical Kung Fu "master" could care less about fighting in these contests on TV.

That sort of thing is for the guys who wanna make a name for themselves, prove themselves, etc etc. It's a competitive sport. Often times, systems of traditional kungfu are not taught as competitive and do not over emphasize the whole contest thing.

Now, lately this isn't really true and you get a lot of clubs that go to tournaments, wear the race car patches all over their kung fu gis keep a wall o' trophies, etc etc. These guys aren't really doing Kung Fu though in the "traditional" sense. They're doing their school thang.

Kung Fu's competitive side is wu shu, forms competition, san shou, and all that. Not really the same animal as the mma sport fighting stuff.

You don't see kungfu guys doing Muay Thai, Sumo or water polo either.

Your typical ufc type competition just isn't regarded as kungfu, it's mma or whatever else it's called.

You won't see kungfu masters boxing tyson or lewis too soon either, or wrestling in the wwe, or...well you get the idea.

anyway, it doesn't matter, it's moot. I can't believe this stuff is still such a hot topic here. It's been done to death here.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Originally posted by LEGEND
    Willow Sword...but in Brazil...the only rule is no eye gouging and biting.
    Nope, WRONG
    Last edited by Xebsball; 11-24-2002 at 09:49 PM.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Braden Guest
    http://www.geocities.com/rammstein823/llama.html

"You don't see kungfu guys doing Muay Thai"

Actually, a northern preying mantis guy took home the light heavyweight belt at a recent national-level Muay Thai tourney up here in the frigid north.

And didn't one of Su Yu Chang's northern preying mantis guys actually go right to Thailand and take national-level heavyweight Muay Thai belts there several years in a row?

BTW, weren't free online mpegs of Tim Cartmell's people competing in MMA posted to this very forum? WTF are you people going on about?

Note: boring post framed in amusing distractors

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Energy cannot be created or destroyed... well... except when it's created or destroyed.
    2. Entropy always increases... unless the universe is contracting... which it is.
    3. Matter will be absolute zero... when all of it is perfectly distributed... which it will never be... and space is infinite... which it's not.

God ******. If anyone finds this **** out, they'll make us start over.

Xebsball

Here's the rules from the IVC site.

http://www.valetudo.com.br/rulesengl.htm

I think they are more than fair

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Archangel,

Do this:
    "No biting
    No eye gouging
    No fishing hook
    No holding the ropes
    No kicking if wearing shoes
    No placing hands or feet inside the opponent's trunks
    The referee can restart the fight"

Equal this?
    "No biting
    No eye gouging"

Simple logics:
    NO!!! WRONG!!!

And dont blame it on your educational system as an excuse!!
    If they are fair or not is not the issue, the issue is weather the rules are just as Legend stated or not.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    You don't see kungfu guys doing Muay Thai
    Many Sanshou fighters have fought in a muay thai format for instance Marvin Perry and Richard Acosta

What the hell??? What happen to the WVC??? Did they fold???
    A

You dont see many, because the majority dont train anywhere near as hard or learn to take a punch. Full contact sparring and good conditioning could turn a kung fu guy into a good fighter as long as he dont rely on stupid techniques.

Muay Thai goes GREAT with kung fu (northern styles), i plan to join the Pittsburgh Muay Thai academy along with my Eagle Claw training.

Cross training is always neccessary, why limit yourself to one thing. No style is perfect, keep an open mind and see what works from anything and try to use it yourself.
    Everyone has a breaking point.

"You dont see many, because the majority dont train anywhere near as hard or learn to take a punch. Full contact sparring and good conditioning could turn a kung fu guy into a good fighter as long as he dont rely on stupid techniques."

Being that I've never met, and probably will never meet, the majority; I can't speak for them. But, This however was not my experience in kung fu. We trained in varying and progressively harder levels of contact and body conditioning. The kung fu I did contained all the same basics of other styles and then some. I don't recall haveing trained in any stupid techniques or techniques that don't have a value of some kind.

Given equal chance to study each other on tape, Bruce would kick Royce in the head and put him down fast.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because I beleive we should leave this Dead horse to rest in peace. But since my curiosity got me to read this whole thing i'll just throw in my $1.25(2 cents plus inflation).

The number 1, and really the only, reason you don't see the thousands of CMA people in the US flood the NHB scene is purely because of venue loyalty. Most of the CMA school are straight away hearded in San shou and San da. As it is it's the same with the NHB crowd. They train in the organizations that lead to the said venue. We haven't seen much of the style vs style events since UFC 4 and that was 36 UFC's ago.

Rules aren't the issue. Technique is not the issue. Steroid use May be an issue. Nobody is invincible. Nobody wins all the time. There are no legions of undefeated champions. You win some, you lose some. For every winner in UFC there are hundreds of losers that train the same stuff. That being true, its kind of irrelevant to speak about winners.