Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices

Prices

How much should I expect for fairly good Kung-Fu lessons? Is something like $25/hour a ridiculous price? What do you guys have to pay for tuition and how much do you get out of it?

When I took Wing Chun, it was around $75 dollars for 2 1.5 hour lessons per week, per month.

I currently take Catch Wrestling, at $50/month for 1 2 hour lesson per week, because that's all I can fit into my schedule right now. The way the gym's set up, it's around $75 for 2 per week per month.

Judo is cheap as hell, if you can find it at a YMCA or something. So's boxing. Other arts vary wildly.

nahcybrad.

I don't think it is that easy to nail down.

Prices often depend on location and size of a kwoon/dojo/dojang and if they belong to an association.

Said that if you shop around in your area you can usually get a good idea of what the average price kinda is like.
    Some styles ask more than others.

Price is also not neccesarily an indicator of a McDojo or good instruction either.

Some top-Instructors teach at a school gym-hall and charge little or next to nothing, or they might have their own place with secretary, Drink bar, etc.

In short you will need to find a place that charges and teaches you what YOU think is a worthwhile price.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, like SD said, they will vary. Fatherdog pays 50 a month for 1 class a week in catch. I pay 75 a month for unlimited bjj. classes are 4 days a week for 2.5 - 3.5 hours and the guys will usually meet at the gym on wed and sun also, making 6 days per week. According to gracie jiu jutsu rules, you have to charge at least 60 per month.

When I was doing longfist, I paid 80 a month for three 3 hr classes per week.

In judo, I pay 8 per month. you can usually get good judo instruction for a fairly cheap price.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

nahcybrad.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Over here in Japan MA seems to be rather cheap.
    On average the charge seems to be along 2.000 ~ 6.000 Yen a month for 4~8 1.5~2hrs lessons.

Many Instructors over here don't have their own places but rather teach at different locations at fixed times of the week, most of those locations tend to be in rented school gym halls or similar.
    If they teach at a sports gym fee ususally works out as: MA Fee + Gym Fee = expensive.

Most of those Guys hold a day-time job and teach MA as part-time.

My current Sifu/Style currently charges between 500 Yen (McDee Happy Meal) to 5.500 Yen a month depending on location.

Than we the have other places that charge up to 6.000Yen per lesson at a fixed location (permanent Dojo/kwoon)
    or some JMA Koryu that been charging 3.000yen a month now for the last 30+ yrs, those often own their location.

Most of those are paid on a monthly cash basis with 1 month joining fee and NO contracts or other obligations.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Shadow Dragon; 11-19-2002 at 01:03 AM.

I pay £30 per month and that includes 3, 2 hour lessons a week, which works out at £2.50 a lesson, my instructor also has drop in sessions at his home for £ 5 an hour and also private lesson lessons at around £15 an hour ( the tip is to go to the morning drop in then book a private 2, hours for £20)
    We also have a monthly fight club that is £10 per session, mainly due to cost of hiring the sports centre.
    regards
    Peter

I paid $523 Canadian for my yearly membership (~$44 per month) at my current school - That's classes 3 times a week for 1 - 2 hours.

I pay 50$ a month (3*2 hours per week).
    BTW, average salary here in Croatia is around 500$.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Geez, quiet man, that's 10% of your salary!

I think the average in the U.S. should be about $5/ group lesson. If you take 3 lessons a week, that's $60/month. That monthly rate is higher or lower depending on the cost of living for your area and the number of classes available per week.

Moving from Orlando to Boston, (I'm in the same system, though), my tuition has gone up because the rents are astronomically higher here. However it's nowhere near $25 a lesson.

Unless you're talking about private lessons. Then that's a pretty good rate.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Our school is $200 a year. Classes are held three times a week and I reckon it's a good price.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Approximately AU$700/year unlimited training (up to 5 classes per week). AU$12 per class on a casual basis.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

mine's a bit 'spensive, but since i teach, i don't pay nuttin.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I will prob. start a program in the next 2 years in Northern VA area...prob. $50 a month for 2 classes a week. I will teach striking 1 class and grappling the other class. HOWEVER...I will teach privates for $50 a session. It's about the BLING. Hell u have peeps paying a $100 private lesson for golf!
    A

quiet man.

10% of your income that is steep.

My lessons per month come less than 0.6% of my income.

Cheers.

I don't have to pay!!!!

Well, I don't have to pay money anyway. That reminds me...

MonkeySlap, I got the e-mail and yes, I am bringing the first born son. Yes, I know we have a deal and no, I'm not trying to back out.

I do get one more guess though...

RUMPLESTILTSKIN???
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon