Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandmaster Ip Shui Visits Uk

David Guest
    I believe Ip Shui studied hung gar when he was young and has an affection for the style. When he last came to London, Sifu Paul Uglow's seniors performed hung gar sets and lion dances for sigung Ip. Cool stuff.

I remeber sothing about that, Si-Gung studied Hung Gar up until he got beaten by Lau Sui...

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Who is Lau Sui, and how/why did he beat up Yip Sui?

I didn't know that Yip Sui studied/practiced hung gar either. I guess it just shows how close the martial arts community was in HK.

David Guest
    Lau Sui was the previous grandmaster of Chu/Chow Gar (1878-1942).

Lau Sui saw young Ip Shui practising horse and spoke to him. Ip Shui wanted to test Lau Sui and was 'introduced' to mantis shock power there and then. I guess he became a mantis student at that time.

David... Some slight corrections....

Lau Sui used to study Ma Gar (Hourse Style.

What I've heard was that, a friend of Ip Shui's introduced him to Lau Sui. As Ip Shui wasn't too conviced of Lau Sui's kung fu, he did a little demo. And Lau Sui said, Your Kung Fu is really good, but it's a shame that your foundations aren't too hot.

This led to a fight, Ip Shui was beaten, and thus joined under Lau Sui.

I remember Sifu saying that quite a few months later, some of Ip Shui's old kung fu brothers laughed at him for gripping thin air (part of the sam bo jin form, but they were duly conviced after a few sparring matches....