Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuai Chiao

Question Shuai Chiao (Dai Pu)

To All Shuai Chiao Stylists-
    I would like to ask a few questions regarding the Belt Techniques that I believe are reffered to as "Dai Pu." Now I am not talking about the belt cracking, but the actual locks and throws that are used in conjunction with the belt.
    1) What exactly is the translation of Dai Pu? Charachters would be very helpful.

2) Why is it that the Dai Pu techniques are kept "closed door" or rather seceret? I find these techniques EXTREMELY practical and I think they should be shared amongst all stylists regardless of politics. Imagine if the people on the planes of 9-11-01 knew Dai Pu techniques. Safe, easy way to handle an edged weapon effectivley and also an easy way to control the aggressor. PLus we all have a weapon on us like that, a belt!

3) What is the history behind Dai Pu? Did GM Chang create them, or have they been an integral part of the Shuai Chiao system for hundreds of years?

4) Is there ANY reference materials (ie. books, videos)that are available, or anyone who would be willing to help me get some videos so I can train these awesome techniques?

I am not sure if this forum gets much attention from Shuai Chiao stylists (I am new here), but I would like more info on this topic if possible. If anyone knows of a forum that this would be seen by more Shuai Chiao stylists please let me know. Also PLEASE do not include any political BS in responses to this post, I am not interested in p!ss!ng contests, I jsut want to know more about this wonderful aspect of Chinese Martial arts!
    Thanks guys!
    tanglangbaji@hotmail.com

WaterDragon, who posts here, runs a Shuai Chiao mailing list. I don't remember how to join, will get back to you. Maybe he'll see your post.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shuaichiao/

That should get you started. Paul Lin and Monkeyslap Too might be able to answer your questions, as well.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Shuai Chiao

Anyone know of a good Shuai Chiao instructor in NE Ohio?

No.

Check with the Ohio State Shaui Chiao club. They may know of someone.

Since you're in Ohio, watch out for stories about lineage holders and I AM THE ONE syndrome. That's all I'll say on that topic

There's Judo guy out of Fort Wayne that posts on Tim Cartmell's board. judo's good stuff. There;s also a good MMA school somewhere in Fort Wayne.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Talking LMAO

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    No.

Check with the Ohio State Shaui Chiao club. They may know of someone.

Since you're in Ohio, watch out for stories about lineage holders and I AM THE ONE syndrome. That's all I'll say on that topic

Com'on Water Dragon, I know you can say more on this one.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Lol, I know to whom you are referring, WD. But aside from that (even though that is a big red light in my book) is it a good school? I will check out Tim Cartmells board, thanks!

I have no idea if the individual in question is good or not. I simply don't know.

Ok, thanks WD. They are really close by, so I guess it's worth a look.

Yeah, I would say it's worth a look. Go check him out, see what they're about. Just don't buy into the B.S. and understand that there are better guys here in the U.S. (and maybe you'll want to learn something from them one day)

Oh yeah, you do understand I'll have to give you $hit just on principle, right?

Right. If they have a buttload of propaganda, I'll pass. I'm just interested in learning.

Kung Fu Cowboy

Another thing you may want to do is go check out the Emptyflower forum. Master John Wang has been posting there lately. He's a student of Chang Tung Sheng, and one of the 4 Students that organized The American Combat Shuai Chiao Association(ACSCA). Master Wang's classmate taught my teacher. That's where he stands in our system.

Master Wang is pretty much laying the cards down on the table. This is pretty much the training philosophy in my school and the way that Shuai Chiao is commonly taught. You shouldread his posts, it'll give you a good idea about what you can expect from the art.
    Last edited by Water Dragon; 11-20-2002 at 08:38 AM.

Re: Kung Fu Cowboy

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    Another thing you may want to do is go check out the Emptyflower forum. Master John Wang has been posting there lately. He's a student of Chang Tung Sheng, and one of the 4 Students that organized The American Combat Association. Master Wang's classmate taught my teacher. That's where he stands in our system.

Master Wang is pretty much laying the cards down on the table. This is pretty much the training philosophy in my school and the way that Shuai Chiao is commonly taught. You shouldread his posts, it'll give you a good idea about what you can expect from the art.
    I must say that John Wang's posting has been right on target. Do you know his age by any chance? Just curious.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Thanks WD!

Re: Re: Kung Fu Cowboy

Originally posted by count

I must say that John Wang's posting has been right on target. Do you know his age by any chance? Just curious.
    Well I know Dr. Wu is in his early 60's, and Mr. Lin is in his late 50's. So I would tag Mr. Wang at late 40's or early 50's. I'm not sure though, it's just a guess.

Count, here's my personal MMA argument for ya. If you go to any MMA discussion board, and see Royler Gracie posting, you're gonna see a lot of people asking questions and taking what is said to heart.

Only in CMA do they try to argue with someone of that caliber