Thread: Back mount finishes

Question Back mount finishes

Could some of the bjj guys tell me what do you guys do in back mount?

I had some rolling last night and only thing I could get to work was this choke and that took way too much time to be street effective.

Any arm breaks?

If you're on the street in a back mount, elbow him at the base of the skull. Or better yet, get up and boot the guy in the ribs. In a street situation, you want to spend as little time on the ground as possible, and if you're on top and have the guy's back, it's not too difficult for you to get up while keeping him down.

Also, I should note, the best action at this point is to get up and run the hell away.

Your focus in any street situation should be to escape. Voluntarily continuing a fight or remaining in a situation where you've had physical conflicts is the sort of thing that can result in a conviction for assault. (Ryu can give more background on this, I think... this sort of thing is his focus)

And anyone who's about to come out with 'It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6', please keep in mind, it's better to be thought a coward by 2 than pull a mantrain for 20 in Oswald Maximum Security.

exactly. from a sport perspective, however, depending on your opponents position, there are armbars, and a smooth transition to a leg triangle that I recently learned.

also, Do you have any training in a grappling art? the choke may have been there, but there was something that you weren't doing properly. What kind of choke was it?
    Last edited by SevenStar; 11-02-2002 at 12:10 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Just from a purely legal point of view - if you stand up and put the boot into someone on the ground and **** them up, you are in big trouble. The courts look badly on this - you may as well have stuck them with a knife.

yea... if I get to back mount I strike or get up and kick. That's what I've been taught by my sihings. I was asking this question just because learning couple new tricks wouldn't hurt

oh and sevenstar, what I ment by being street effective was that even when I got the choke it would last couple seconds for him/her to pass out. When with arm bar it would be just a snap

Originally posted by TheGhostDog
    Just from a purely legal point of view - if you stand up and put the boot into someone on the ground and **** them up, you are in big trouble. The courts look badly on this - you may as well have stuck them with a knife.
    I know, which is why I hastily added my second post; that escape should be your first option in a street situation.

Just to elaborate; in most states, kicking someone who's on the ground, particularly in the head, can be charged as assault with a deadly weapon. Know your local statutes.

There are numerous things you could do once you take your apponent's back. I'm excluding strikes of any kind and kicks to the stomach and ribs with the heels. You can work your basic naked choke, which could also be a face smasher and jaw crusher. You could work at least 10 different gi chokes. You could transition into an armbar (from which you have wrist locks) or leg triangle (from which you also have an armbar should your leg triangle not be secure). You could go for shoulder crank and neck crank. If your apponent roles on his fours (turtle position), and your hooks are in, you can even go for some quick leg locks (calf crush is the easiest).
    MA fanatic

Re: Back mount finishes

Originally posted by philly
    Could some of the bjj guys tell me what do you guys do in back mount?

I had some rolling last night and only thing I could get to work was this choke and that took way too much time to be street effective.

Any arm breaks?
    What choke? How did you do it? If you were rolling at a school then your instructor has to know some finishes/submissions. Maintaining the back is the first step and after that, unless he is a good grappler or versed in groundwork, then you can do lots and lots while maintaining the dominant position. No advice though bruh'. I don't know know what it will be used for and what kind of cat you really are. Sorry if that sounds harsh... Train smart.