Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Liu and Hung Gar

illusionfist Guest

Gordon Liu and Hung Gar

What's up folks? I just finished watching Master Killer (aka 36 chambers of Shaolin) and i didn't realize how much hung gar is in it. In one sequence of the movie (where Gordon Liu is actually starting to learn boxing methods)they are actually doing a sequence from gung gee fuk fu kuen (taming the tiger). During the intro of the movie, Liu is performing parts of Tid Sin Kuen (iron wire).

My question is, who did Gordon Liu learn hung gar from? Also, did he inherit any of the Lau Gar system (his last name is Lau in cantonese right?)

He also does a lot of hung gar in Challenge of the Masters. If i am not mistaken, he plays Wong Fei Hung in that movie.

Peace my friends [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Yo Chris, how you been?
    Sorry I ain't written, but all of my normal internet info ain't handy since I lost my job, and I haven't been surfing much.

I seem to remember reading on here, that both Gordon Liu, and his brother Kung Fu Lau(aka Kung Fu Lau- the old dude from Drunken Master 2) BOTH learned Lau gar. I think Gordon learned Hung Gar from his brother or from his brother's teacher. Kung fu Lau is actually one of the guys my (and Thomas's) sifu idolizes. I've seen the pictures on sifu's fridge. heheh

Not much going on in the personal life, started training with another dai sihing (Snoop), who my sifu actually calls "sihing" because Snoop started with my sigung first. I need a job. My gf dumped me again- thought it was serious, but today we were laughing again on the phone. Oh yah and I'm kinda drunk again.

Drop me a line,
    Eric

illusionfist Guest
    Yo eric are you still using the same email??

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

bean curd Guest
    illusion,

gordon liu (liu chia huey) received his training from his foster brother, liu chia liang.

liu chia liang was taught by his father liu chan si dai gung, who was a very renonwned hung gar player in hong kong.

liu chan was taught by the great lam tsai wing

liu chia liang was also a director of chinese hong kong movies at the time.

regards

molum_jr Guest
    If you have cable, you may be able to see Donald Lui play the villianous roles in chinese soap opera series. I like the dark roles that he plays...

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

I have been led to understand that the Lau Gar system is an offshoot of Hung Gar system and uses kuen from Hung Gar within it.

affirmations or denials?

peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

illusionfist Guest
    Kung Lek- are you talking about the Lau Gar from a long time ago, or are you talking about the "shorthand" lau gar that has surfaced?

From what i understand, Lam Sai Wing added Lau Gar to the Hung Gar curriculum so that it wouldn't be lost. He felt that Lau Gar had many qualities that were a kin to Hung Gar, so it seemed like a no brainer. So that's why we have the empty hand set and the long pole of lau gar. There is a palm form in Lau Gar, but it is believed that it was lost, even during the time that Lam Sai Wing was learning the system.

The shorthand version of Lau Gar has a palm set (well at least that's what i am told), but i am not knowledgable enough to talk about the shorthand lau gar.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Actually, ALL the Hong Kong movies have lots of Hung Ga and Bak Siu Lum and Wing Chun.

Jackie Chan's "Rumble in the Bronx" has a ton of Wing Chun - including a phenomenal mok yan jong training sequence.

I saw quite a bit of Northern Shaolin in that movie too - especially in the broadsword training sequence and by the terrific Han Ying. Then again, those movies mix up all the styles.

In the Jet Li movie "Deadly China Hero", Gordon Liu uses a ton of Hung Ga Tiger - but loses to a shaven Liang Chia Ren ("Tiger") and that little "Crane" side kick.

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Illusionfist:

How's it going brother?

From my understanding of the Lau Brother,(Lau Ga Lueng, Lau Ga Fai, Lau Ga Yung)they are the son's of Lam Sai Wings student Lau Jaam.

Lau Jaam suppose to be the one who taught his family style (Lau Gar) to Lam Sai Wing. Lam Jaam also played as Lam Sai Wing in the older Wong Fai Hung movies starring Kwan Tak Hing.

Lau Jaam taught his family style as well as Hung Gar to his son Lau Ga Leung, who also acted in some of the older Wong Fai Hung movies.

Lau Ga Fai, aka: Gordon Lui, learn is gung fu from is older brother, Lau Ga Leung. By the way, Gordon is an adopted son. He was an orphan who hung around Gung Fu Leung's school and the family decided to adopted him.

Another movie in which all three brother have a major role in is legendary weapons of Kung Fu. At the end there is a great fight scene between the older Lau and the younger Lau Ga Yung.

Hope this answer your question to some extent.

Je Lei Sifu

illusionfist Guest
    Thanks for the replies folks, they were helpful to say the least.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Afternoon all.

I study shorthand Lau Gar in the UK. From what I've read my understanding was that (and here details will get v. sketchy- I read this a long time ago) elements of Lau Gar were "preserved" in Hung Gar at a time when fighting was forbidden by whichever dynasty, um.... forbade it (I told you!) because Lau was not so big on forms and sets but instead concentrated heavily on sparring and fighting. Hence it became difficult to practise without breaking the law. Does that make any sense? I'm tired...

FistOfShaolin Guest
    If you want to see a great interview with Gordon Liu (and several other martial artists), you should watch the movie "Top Fighter"! You should be able to rent it from your local Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. It's a documentary about some of the best fighters in martial arts film, and has an interview with Gordon in which he talks of his childhood, training, etc. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!
    As a side note, I found the interview with Bolo Yeung to be interesting, he said his preferred art is actually Tai Chi Chuan! Who would think that such a big guy would prefer Tai Chi over a "harder" style.

[This message has been edited by FistOfShaolin (edited 07-08-2000).]

loki Guest
    Hi people, here's a treat! Check out Gordon Liu doing classical Hung Gar in real life.

Got to http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/charris/sap.htm

Peace

FistOfShaolin Guest
    Thanks for posting that link, Loki! That is a very nice Hung Gar site. Ha ha, it's the first time I've seen Gordin Liu with hair! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ky-Fi Guest
    Classic pictures of Gordon Liu!! I'm guessing......circa 1973? You can almost hear the "whacka-whocka" early '70's guitar riffs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]