Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since we're bieng Controversial: PEEP/ TALKS ABOUT WINGCHUN HUNGGA BAKMEI CHOY LAYFUT

Arrow Since we're bieng Controversial: PEEP/ TALKS ABOUT WINGCHUN HUNGGA BAKMEI CHOY LAYFUT

Is Pak Mei Shaolin?

(9/5/01)

There is a great deal of misinformation and half-truths generated by misinformed students of Chinese martial arts. The first misconception is the Shaolin Temple myth.

Many Chinese styles were village styles or family styles, which developed as a need for protection from bandits. Many became great boxers and as their fame spread they attached themselves to the Shaolin Temple. This could be likened to a boxer claiming to be taught by Muhammad Ali. This would bring instant fame and recognition using a name the public recognized. In those days a village boxer had to be good to survive. If he were beaten he would have to leave.

One example of a boxing style that originated from two teachers was choy li fut. The founder of choy li fut put together the boxing styles of choy gar and fut gar naming the style out of respect for his teachers.

Hung Kuen is often referred to the Shaolin Temple. The truth, as told to Lee Pai by the head of the Chinese Free Masons and todei of Lam Sai Wing is different from the general story given to the public. Hung Kuen (hung gar) was developed for the boat people who practiced on the top decks of saipans. The low wide horse stance was used for stability. The well educated did not practice Hung gar because it came from the docks and boat people were considered a lower class. The claim to Shaolin was to make the style more reputable.

The reality is that Shaolin Boxing styles came from boxers who sought sanctuary. These boxers had to earn their keep and the way to do this was to teach the monks. What else could these wanted men do? Stepping outside the temple meant death. Shaolin monks were Buddhists which means they were non-aggressive and non-violent. The original exercises given to them by Da Mo were meant for health. There cannot be a Buddhist style. This would break their code of conduct.

Today’s Shaolin Temple is merely a tourist trap. The senior monks were told by the communist government to teach or lose their temple. The monks were told to teach something they could live with. The income generated by this instruction would support the temple.

Daoist styles were practical and separate from religion. Daoist monks had no hang-ups regarding use. Pak Mei is an example of a Daoist style shrouded in mystery. The forms in Pak Mei were not made up by Cheung Lai Chun. He did, however, name the style after Pak Mei, the Taoist priest, to honour his teacher. The monks practicing these arts did not concern themselves with names, as they did not have dealings with the general public.

The reality is that a real art has history and tradition. The general public does not have access to seniors in the Chinese arts to ask questions. A two-week trip to Asia does not guarantee anything. It is common knowledge that many teaching today in North America were beginners in their native land and they did not spend the time to learn to use the art, as they were still children.

We are very fortunate to have our questions answered truthfully. Pak Mei seniors were doctors, engineers and businessmen, who were not about to stake their reputation on an art that didn't work.

Pak Mei has a rich history and tradition. Lee often speaks of the training carried on in the Chan Family Hall, where he taught Pak Mei to his todei. Young Chinese would often claim to know Pak Mei. They were terrible, merely waving hands at clouds. In reality Pak Mei is taught one form per year, sometimes two years. Anything else is embroidered legs and flowery arms. There is one other point I would like to make. Not only does our family have the reputation of having learned from a most excellent source, but we also have a reputation in the Chinese community as ones who can use it.

Lee's todei are working abroad. One is in England, while others are in different parts of Asia. They are professional men who do not have to teach for a living. Pak Mei is still underground in Hong Kong, which brings me to the subject of videos. As an educator, videos can enhance a class, provided the material is true. I have friends in other countries that often send me all kinds of material for my personal library and ask my opinion. I have seen everything put out by those claiming to do Pak Mai. One video of a demonstration in New York featured Pak Mei. Lee laughed and said “not only were they were backwards, but also the wrong set!” He also said they would have been better off trying to imitate the book, as their tiger fork set appeared to have been made up on the spot.

I have heard silly statements on who's to say what is real. I can assure you that we do not do a set called bok mei hu chuan. In Hung Kuen the measure of proficiency is tiger and crane. Pak Mei's measure is gau bo toi. Sup gee is the form allowed to be demonstrated in front of the general public. This would account for the many wrong interpretations that are out there.

In conclusion, I have often heard that there are more fakes in Hong Kong than here. Sadly, I personally think this is no longer true. North America is full of them. One of Lee's friends is a senior in wing chun and spent years with Yip Man. There were originally more sets. Perhaps Yip Man felt that the essence was in only three. Many styles have core forms. Hung Kuen was originally a style practiced by boat people to protect themselves from bandits. Cheung Lai Chun and his todei proved their art in life and death confrontations. These were real arts, with famous people who have left their mark in Chinese martial arts history. These men proved a styles worth in reality. They did not play games of tag, with rules and a referee to intervene if the going got tough.
    Mike Doucet

back

email info@pakmei.net

Hung Kuen is often referred to the Shaolin Temple. The truth, as told to Lee Pai by the head of the Chinese Free Masons and todei of Lam Sai Wing is different from the general story given to the public. Hung Kuen (hung gar) was developed for the boat people who practiced on the top decks of saipans. The low wide horse stance was used for stability. The well educated did not practice Hung gar because it came from the docks and boat people were considered a lower class. The claim to Shaolin was to make the style more reputable.
    That's red boat hung ga. Wing Lam has an article explaining that there are different variations of hung kuen and there are some that do not have ties to the shaolin temple including the fact that some hung styles have been mistaken for shaolin.

However some "hung" styles do have ties to shaolin temple like xiao hongquan (small red fist) which is actually taught there and the more well known version made famous through the Wong Fei Hung lineage do calim some reasonable ties to shaolin. Then again I'm not hung ga exponent on the matter. That's what I read.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

xiao hong quan shaolin and who cares?

Kind of funny you bringing up xiaohongquan as a Shaolin style. The first time I heard of it was when I moved to Xi'an and in trying to tell the locals what I previously trained in ran into all sorts of confusion because xiaohongquan and dahongquan are two local styles in Shaanxi. They are regarded strictly as village styles. Nowadays to make myself clear I simply tell them I played southern Shaolin. Or '3 dots of water on the side' hong quan. (a reference to the way the character is written. The most clear is simply the hong quan of Hong Xi Guan.

I was taught the original 5 tigers of canton and the burning of the southern temple story by my Sifu and I prefer that version to the boat story. Also is 'red boat' hong quan written 'red fist' or 'big fist' in Chinese?

At the end of the day I can't prove either story so I just take the one I like better. If the history's flawed, who cares? The gong-fu remains the same.

All I know is that the kung fu being practiced today is influenced by modern day practitioners

It may or not be from Shaolin.

But it definitely is from England, Australia, Europe - anywhere that these great arts are practiced today.

Re: xiao hong quan shaolin and who cares?

Originally posted by omarthefish
    Kind of funny you bringing up xiaohongquan as a Shaolin style. The first time I heard of it was when I moved to Xi'an and in trying to tell the locals what I previously trained in ran into all sorts of confusion because xiaohongquan and dahongquan are two local styles in Shaanxi. They are regarded strictly as village styles. Nowadays to make myself clear I simply tell them I played southern Shaolin. Or '3 dots of water on the side' hong quan. (a reference to the way the character is written. The most clear is simply the hong quan of Hong Xi Guan.

I was taught the original 5 tigers of canton and the burning of the southern temple story by my Sifu and I prefer that version to the boat story. Also is 'red boat' hong quan written 'red fist' or 'big fist' in Chinese?

At the end of the day I can't prove either story so I just take the one I like better. If the history's flawed, who cares? The gong-fu remains the same.
    Tou she

Well don't think it would be written as either. I'm sort of confused why anyone would write red boat as red fist or big fist.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 11-24-2002 at 08:17 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

diego

Are you one of Mike's students?

Bok Mei is not Shaolin. White eyebrow never was Shaolin.

Shaolin has adopted and affected many styles of cma.

Choy and Li were Shaolin monks. Fut means buddha.

What does it all matter anyway, it's very hard to tell what the real history of China is when all you are going on is stories and legends.

I'm sure there are some writings somewhere that will clear this all up lickity split

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DIEGO

Hi,

Just wondering about some of the forms that was modified by CLC from dragon style. You said CLC never made up the forms, to my understanding he made up many! Can you clarify this form me?

Even in the 9 step book it says he learn 4 forms and added the rest from previous arts. ying jow lin kuil has a dragon salutaion and start!!

How many forms are there and how many moves are in the original forms?

FT

Bak Mei is nor Shaolin nor Daoist it is 'Hakka'.

There was the Bak Mei as part of the 5 Elders (which is from a NOVEL!). Then there is the name given to this style by Cheung Lai Chun. Some people mixed up stories here and there (yes, chinese masters, businessmen and everyone can do it to for no reason other than they don't have answers but cannot lose face by not giving any so they make one up) and decided to fabricate the legend of Bak Mei.

The can hardly be called any "original" forms in Bak Mei simply because they are all traceable and broken down.

Jek Bo - 100% a shorter set of movements which are from Gao Bo Toi and modifications developed through time thereafter. The thing is so short it may have well been training drills (which all forms could be) that were later called forms.

Gao Bo Toi - Is dupposed to have been created by Lum A Haap (This is as told by Cheung Lai Chun and even as found in the scripts (manual) left to the family). Again even this set is fairly short and it was said that Lum A Haap developed it from Bo Bo Toi or Sam Bo Toi. Some thought it was Gum Bo Toi because of the characters but this again in some schools of thought are unclear because it is that the 3*Sam Bo Toi would give 9 Bo Toi as found in the set. Some of Cheung's tiger flavour then enhanced the simple components that once were.

Meng Fu Chut Lum - Is definately developed by Cheung Lai Chun. In fact it went through various modifications before becoming what was popularly known.

The rest well are even more obvious from other styles. Sup Ji Kuen, Sam Mun, Nim Kiu, Sup Bat Mo etc...

Cheung Lai Chun was an excellent martial artist with superb skills, the art that he passed on is unrefutably real but the historical imperfections and the development of the art have been misrepresented.

Therefore Mike Doucet though sounding nice blunt and upfront in his writing has not researched nor studied enough 'chinese' martial arts to understand the root nor the basis of this style. A single source makes for myths and legends not history.

Regards
    Wu Chan Long

PS (FT) : Diego only cut the piece from somewhere, Mike Doucet (end of text) seems to be the writer. Hope all is well.

shaolin master

Hows things mate? Nice breakdowns although i do have some bak mei that is o'mei and non hakka related. I think clc taught hakka people so they made it hakka pak mei. CLC bak mei has been modified and added to thats for sure.

Mung fu was made up by CLC as well, and again different versions of this everytwhere i have 3 versions. all different!!

anyway hoep all is well there , you lucky *******!

FT

Re: diego

Originally posted by tnwingtsun
    Are you one of Mike's students?
    Hello, no i'm actually without a teacher right now, just practise my hopgar basic's. Since the clf guys are going at it, i thought i would post this " wich i found searching for a clf site" to see if i could bring some of the wing chunners over so we could have a old school royal rumble on the kfo southern forum...I mean just the hung is for boatmen of the low class, should be about twenty pages just the varying hung clans vs ego, all online, here...In this Day i mean

Seriously, just felt kind of foolish when i posted this. Also, am surprised so many replie's already

So, you look like you do wing chun, what do you think about there bieng more sets, and maybe ip man thought three was good enough?... should be a curious debate, never before seen on a martial art internet forum.

So when did style-bashing get free riegn?, i mean the spm's got bannd'ed.... why do the clf's get a go, without warnings?.
    So, since it's throw **** on styles face week, i seriously think we should get the wing chunners over here, then the hung red fists and boaters can stop by, and maybe we can get to the bottom of the shoalin myth.

This post has been a joke, but contemplating how i should end it as i just did, im wondering...Since the 70s styles like wing chun and other southerns, have been going through much inhouse debate within differant branches of thier own system. I'm curious, have scholars and masters teamed up at a university level and brainstormed all the southern kf myths and legends, and then crossreferenced the dates, etc with Historical Records from the South?.
    I'm guessing no, as choy li fut cant even figure out who thier founders are, im guessing it would take another millennia to actuall find out why thier is a chee sim monk in wing chun and hung gar and 5 ancestor legends etc.

if they share similar roots simply because of era and location that would be great, but why is the same monks attributted to these styles?, is it like the article says familys of farmers and gangsters/warlords made the styles?. Ifso when did these legends start-up, and what kind of factors could anyone explain to me, how say the name chee sim...if a legend, could be referanced in two totally differrant systems of hung and wing, like say boaters made them or two totally unrelated familys made them, when did legend become truth, because the founder would know he made it, but when did his students think the great shaolin monk made it...then how could two tottally differant masters one from hung one from wing, cliam the same dude?.

Is this confusing to some of you?, if not clear it up for those who seem to be having troubles

justarant, take what you want...don't forget to leave the change

unless you ego/kelvin want to add your pence...stick it in yer arse matey.... no-fuccing doubt

Shaolin Master,

I have also read the article which said that kieuw bo teau (nine step push) was developed from Lung Ying with great interest. But if I combine that with your statements on Jek Bo ("developed from kieuw bo teau") and Sip Pat Mo kiu ("comes from another style") and Mang fu ("created by Cheung Lai Chuen") than you say that there is no "original" Pak Mei . And that Pak Mei is a variation based on old session Lung Ying.

As a Pak Mei practitioner I think I could live with that (but I am not convinced if that, or any other history, is the truth) since I think that Cheung Lai Chuen did a great job on it , although I than would like to understand where sip pat mo kiu comes from. Do you have any idea on that?

But, since we are on this topic, what does this say about the other Hakka styles? Lung Ying has a same sort of history. Lam Yiu Kwai also came from the Wai Yeung area and learned from a mysterious monk and (if I remember well) Lau Sui also came from Wai Yeung and learned from a monk. What does it say about their lineages. Can they be trusted?

I once heard that these 3 Hakka arts, Lung Ying, Southern Mantis and Pak Mei developed from the same style. And that starts sounding more logical as I read and hear more.

Regards, Lau

Lau:
    "I once heard that these 3 Hakka arts, Lung Ying, Southern Mantis and Pak Mei developed from the same style. And that starts sounding more logical as I read and hear more."

Drag out some of the old tea house stories! Where's Wilson???

Given the limited exposure I've had to pak mei and nam tong long, I can see some common ground. Where/if the splits occurred is a very interesting topic. I now see these arts as totally individual and distinct. Even within each, there are huge transgressions from the tree in some schools. So I might venture to say that perhaps the lack of attention to detail (either in practice or in viewing) in any of these arts might lead one to think they are closer than they are. Plausible?
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Meltdawn : "So I might venture to say that perhaps the lack of attention to detail (either in practice or in viewing) in any of these arts might lead one to think they are closer than they are. Plausible?"

I think that this is quite plausible. I often find that when playing hands, there will be, 'Pak Mei does this, and Dragon does this' type of scenario, whereby although seemingly very similar the 'attitude' if you will, is quite different. I cannot see for the life of me where Jik Bo comes from Lung Ying however, and it seems fairly obvious to me that Gou Bou Toi comes after Jik Bo, and not that Jik Bo was made from Gou Bo Toi, which again seems to me unlike Lung Ying. Perhaps I am not looking for what may or may not be there, I don't know.
    In terms of sets, per se, and of watching them, I don't personally see where one could confuse the two, apart from the aforementioned similarities in terms of some hands, their method, certainly to me, and indeed my teachers, is different.
    I firmly believe however that there is and has been some mixing of Lung Ying and Pak Mei sets, specifically by some older teachers of both systems, maybe here is where some confusion lies.

Mark

The links between these Hakka styles has been topic of discussion before. At least as far as southern mantis goes, I don't think there's any link beyond sijo's knowing each other. Very few similarities in style that I'm aware of. I have heard that there were 3 original Bai Mei forms. The others were integrated or adapted to Bai Mei style and form. Do any of you Bai Mei practitioners recognize any forms as "treasure sets"?