Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Describe your dream gym

A mirror is good to check the ming-men, to make sure the back is straight in relation to the pushing angle.

Also a plus, to always have someone who is just a little better then you to play with, someone who you can beat in Chi Sau 1 out of 7 tries.

Then a sparring partner you are a little better then, someone who catches you 1 in 10.

I set up my kung fu business as my "dream gym".

We're in a well lit parking lot on two major cross streets (Dobson and Warner) in the same complex as our town's "Justice Court" and the C-Fu Gourmet Restaurant (biggest Chinese restaurant in the East Valley).

I prefer cool colors, so the color scheme is blue and grey. We have a bright big lit up sign saying "Huang's Kung Fu Academy".

I have 2000 square feet, enough to have a reception area and 4 small rooms. Two are dressing rooms, two are offices. Our bathroom is in the back and kept very sparse.

We have no mats nor mirrors, as in real life there are no mats and mirrors when one is attacked. But we do have a mobile mirror and gymnastic mats that we use when practicing. Our floor is carpet - newly done.

The training space itself is spacious, a nearly square rectangle. There's enough room to walk the circle or do line drills. Observers can sit in a small alcove to watch the action.

I have a heavy emphasis on teaching women's self defense, as they're the ones who REALLY need to know how to defend themselves.

i would have two separate areas, one would be for modern training and one for traditional. in the modern, i'd have power racks, reverse-hyper and glute ham machines, bumper plates, med balls, lifting platforms, dipping and chinning stations, dumbells, bench, thick bars, and whatever else i want but i'm forgetting.
    then i'd have the traditional area, with the weapons rack, mats, an area for meditation, a library, an herbal section, and my sifu's picture.
    i'd have mirrors all over the place too. it would be so sweet to actually have a gym like this. oh yeah, i'd also make sure the place is feng shui'd out.

Dance floor
    A mat for acrobacia
    Section of teflon-coated floor like an ice rink
    Chairs
    A bag of some sort
    Mirrors
    Instrument rack (full)
    Soundproofed walls and good acoustics
    Instrument-making tools
    Full spectrum lighting and windows
    Hand targets, kicking shields
    Video camera, VCR, and large screen monitor for playback
    Some sort of contraption to practice sweeps on
    Stereo system
    Padded pole for drills
    Comprehensive Portuguese dictionary
    Box full of sticks and straight razors of various sorts
    Good ventilation and AC
    Showers
    Anatomy reference text
    Songbook with accompanying recordings
    Cots
    Hidy places
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Any big empty room with a high ceiling which I can practice in any time I want (i.e. as opposed to spending an hour every day driving to the studio and back; that makes MA training strictly a once-a-day thing). Also a water bag, a floor-to-ceiling mirror and floor mats would be a big plus, and when matter replicators come out I can add my own GM Pan Qing Fu clone to help me with my break-falls.

-enough space to accomodate 15 people very comfortably

-high ceiling

-comfy poly-blend uniforms

-a full weapons rack

-easy to clean tile floor

-a couple fold-up judo mats

-thai pads and focus mits

-iron rings

-ten hard working people

Stacey Guest
    I like the cute massage therapists in sheer robes.

People that fight.

Great workouts that energise.

Clear structured system.

Not getting hindered by instructors lack of techniques. "True knowlege is in the depth of the twist punch, so do it for 6 years and I'll teach you something I saw in a book"

Bags...a BOB.

Feng Shui'd school

Lots of hot chicks. Lots of them, sweating and sweet. In conjunction with this a soundproof changing room that locks and a break in between classes.

a school as a community.

Hot tea for winter tai chi days.

Stereo.

Courtyard

Hot chicks.

Mountain location, semi temple set up for people who want to chill, clean, train and figure out what to do with their lives.

Hot chicks at the temple uninhibited by religous guilt. A taoist temple...with taoist practices....hmmmmm...Taoist.

54X 72 feet

80, 100, 180, 350, &600 pound heavy bags

Hard wood floors, or concrete

All the training stuff I already have, only with room to use it.

A pile of land scaping rocks. You can get really creative and come up with lots of cool traditional looking exercises if you have a pile of assorted rocks.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

This is simple.

Lots of space and enough students to cover rent and utilities. The rest is gravy.

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    We have no mats nor mirrors, as in real life there are no mats and mirrors when one is attacked. But we do have a mobile mirror and gymnastic mats that we use when practicing. Our floor is carpet - newly done.
    Yeah, right. Because in real life there are no mats and mirrors, but everywhere is freshly carpeted.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

A cute girl helping me train
    I have a signature.

sung hi lee??wow man not a bad choice after all...but i prefer her in bed with Kobe Tai

anyways in my dream Gym i want Chen Xiaowang, Ma Shanxu teaching me...who cares about stuff when those 2 guys r there teaching me...
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

Hm, I suposed i'd like to have people to work my Tai Tzu out in my club too, aside from the space and equiptment.

I think though, I'd equip it with a Wai Lun Choi first. If you have one of those, you really don't need much else.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Smile Mirrors

I was being facetious. Mirrors are helpfull. When I wrote that, I was remembering walking down main st. a few months ago and looking in the window of a local tai chi school and seeing the school owner practicing form in the mirror with his class behind him. His form was so terrible and he was watching himself so intently that I had to move on because I was laughing so hard I almost hurled.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Thumbs up Great Topic KC

Here is what have envisioned over the past few years(this WILLbe a reality one day for me).

A place set up in the mountains either in New mexico or Canada. It would be like a center or a temple but not of any particular religious significance. All would be welcome there.

This would be a place where traditional and nontraditional martial artists could come and train by themselves or with others in positive exchanges of ideas tactics and philosophy.

there would be a Facilitator(me) who would guide the goings on at the center,,teach what i know and learn from others who are willing to share.

a hall type training area similar to that of a temple..NO MIRRORS. first aid courses and cpr as well as TCM and western principles would be present there.

sparring and fighting would be closely moderated but nothing would be withheld as i would want this to be a SERIOUS training hall. Not many would be able to come here for the soul reason that this WOULD be a serious training hall and that hurt and pain would be present here as well,,but the ability to heal and stop pain would also be a strong presence at the center i envision.

to elaborate the only rule about fighting and sparring would be this: spar with the notion that you are sparring a brother, a kindred spirit with whom,,just as you,,wishes to learn and test themselves,,,you do not spar an enemy, so you DO NOT treat your opponent as such.

finally,,,,,My center would charge nothing and ask only for what is required,,,be it blood, sweat tears,,and donation.

there is alot more that i could say but i wont. there are obvious realities that would be present at a place of this nature and i would trust that common sense would dictate what i will not drone on about in this post.

i hope everyones dream gym becomes a reality for them in some way or another.
    Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.