Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How heavy is YOUR heavy bag???

How heavy is YOUR heavy bag???

Mine is going to be AT least 420 lbs. I have that much metal saw dust from work saved up so far. It's in a bunch of army surpluss duffle bags. It takes 6 to fill my punching bag, and I have 4 1/2 bags so far weighing 90-100 pounds each. Another bag and a half, and I should have close to 550 pounds, "Maybe" as much as 600.

What do you guys think?? Could you put a bag THIS heavy to work?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

OH!,For the love of pete, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will not work. You will injure yourself.

yeah, I agree. That wouldn't be smart.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: How heavy is YOUR heavy bag???

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    ... metal saw dust ... close to 550 pounds, "Maybe" as much as 600. What do you guys think?? Could you put a bag THIS heavy to work?
    Dang RD, I'm not sure I'd want to. Metal saw dust- sounds brutal! And, just wait 'till the cutting oil leaches out to be replaced by moisture! That thing's gonna fuse together into one solid mass that can definately take a hit. By the way, how're ya planning to keep the cutting oil from soaking the bag?

My first heavy bag was a sea bag stuffed with an old mattress off a foldaway bed. It was a b!tch to get in there, but it worked (sort'a). Now I have a Century 50 pounder. Pretty puny next to yours, but size isn't everything, right?

Oh, and some advice: if your roof starts to swale, drop the bag!!!!!!!!

We don't use a cutting oil, it's more like an automotive anti freez than a cutting oil. Once dry, it's like sand, only MUCH heavier!!!

I figure it was free to collect it and take it home (been doing this for almost 4 years now), and there has GOT to be some sort of extreme Kung Fu usage I can do with it. At the very least I will have the bragging rights to the heaviest bag in town.

I'm actually thinking of useing it to test my mechanics for side kicks. If I can make THAT sucker fly, just imagine what's going to happen if I hit a human???
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just curious here, why would you want a bag that heavy?
    Arhat of Fury

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    there has GOT to be some sort of extreme Kung Fu usage I can do with it.
    For some reason, IRON PALM comes to mind.

Arhat of Fury
    Because it takes the same effort to put the Iron sawdust a canvas duffle bag as it does to throw it out.

Basically, it's one of those things that is getting done because it can easily be done and really for no practical reason other than the age old "Mine is bigger than yours!!!"

For the Women:

+ = & a

That sounds like an amazing bag! I am truly envious of you!
    A unique snowflake

RD,
    I'd advise against it, but if you're gonna do it let me know. I'd love to video tape your first workout with it.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I'd probably just make six 100 pound bags. But hey, have fun!
    I am nothing.

Work on lifting it. If you can lift a 550lb bag no one will fuck with you. Deadlifting 550lbs is hard enough. Picking up a thick bag filled with stuff that weighs that much would be that much harder.

Don't make a bag that heavy. I tried to fill a Thai bag with sand once when I didn't know what heavy bags were filled with and after 450lbs of sand and it wasn't even half way full I decided there was probably a better way.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yeah, I like Ironfist's idea. pick it up. Do grappling and throwing drills with it. If you're gonna hit it, you may as well hit a tree, and we know the dangers in that...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As for your question, I have a 70 pounder. When I was in muay thai, we had a 200 pounder.

Just do some weight training, work your mechanics and hit a regular heavy bag and you should be fine. Look at pro fighters - they don't have to hit 500 lb bags to knock someone out. I've broken someone's ribs with a roundhouse, and the heaviest bag I've ever used is 200.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Mine is 150 pounds.

kung fu books