Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you spar??

We shouldent single WCK out. In any art or style if you are clearly of a higher level of skill in applying those principles, and nderstaing those types of motions you will dominate those of lesser skill in the same. BJJ is a good example. Tai Chi. etc. etc.

When we "sparr" we put on gloves to protect your hands, not the opponent's face. SOmetimes headgear, sometimes not. ( I like the thiner boxing headgear, the less padding the better - padding makes your head a bigger target.) Jock strap. SOme people wear shin guards and forarm guards, those of us with enough conditioning dont. Then you go at it. How hard depends on what you agreed to, or in the middle of a round if someone goes too hard, then you go harder etc. Rules change constantly, sometimes teacher just decides certain types of techniques arent allowed, or arent allowed by one person, etc. Variety is key. We sparr nearly every training session or class session.

You fight the way you train. Besides sparring, (training sparring, as well as a host of other smaller attributes, one being aliveness and another being application...) you must also TRAIN sensitivity, speed, etc, etc, etc. You can focus on these things outside of sparring, with great results when it comes to application. A good example is a Filipino salute drill, depending on your focus, you can develop speed, sensitivity, or a list of other attributes, but what you actually 'do' in the drill hardly resembles fighting.

Sparring, situational drills, adrenaline dump drills, sensitivity drills, blah blah blah, all these things develop specific attributes (attributes that make up YOU) all of which are essential when the **** hits the fan. The more you sparr the better you get at sparring, whatever the rules or format. Attributes, attributes, attributes, and self examination.

Nothing you do specifically (except for actually fighting) will actually make you a better fighter.
    strike!

yeah, no doubt. I singled out WC since that was the example he gave. In his original reply, he didn't say a lesser skilled opponent, so I was thinking he was referring to ANYBODY, not just lesser skilled people.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Merry Thanksgiving 7*!

strike!

As was mentioned why is there a need to use sport sparring in Wing Chun? The only reason to do sport sparring in Wing Chun is if you want to compete in a sport event.

The traditional way to 'spar' in Wing Chun is an extension of Chi-Sao. The progression being: Chi-Sao, Long Arm Chi-Sao and then no contact = fight. The two students square off and someone says 'go!' The objective is for one of the students to take control of the partner using whatever techniques needed. The contact can be medium to hard and usually guys can control hits enough not to hurt each other very much. This traditionally is done with no gear but gear can certainly be used. One of the reasons this 'works' is that each fighter will attack the Centerline so there is a clash and each student will normally seek a bridge to work from and then it's more like the Chi-Sao again but brief. Even doing regular Chi-Sao enthusiastic players will get separated and continue the ‘match’ - this is similar to the fight drill.

I believe in also training to the extent possible against people using other styles so people in the school who have other experience can come in handy. I also like the scenario drills mentioned before - street attack, etc.

For anyone interested in testing their Kung-Fu in one of the latest reality test fads checkout Bullet Men scenario seminars. They look like loads of fun and I'd love to chain punch one of those guys in the suits.

Happy Turkey Day!
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

guy in my class was sparring a girl. In a quick motion, she pulled back his cup and punched him in the genitals. I was glad to hear she got injured recently

"How do you spar??"

With pitifully meager competence.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

totally naked.

right after my pedicure.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Originally posted by Sharky
    totally naked.

right after my pedicure.
    Saucy!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    LOL
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA