Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The history of Thanksgiving

Lightbulb The history of Thanksgiving

Let me give you a brief Reality check on the history of thanksgiving so
    that you truly understand why Americans love to celebrate it.

Many many years ago when the pilgrims first came here they were not very
    attuned to the ways of living in the wilds. Being that the pilgrims were very
    GRIM to begin with they would huddle in thier makeshift huts and pray to God
    for a miracle. Well the prayer was answered and the indians showed up and said
    "Boy you white people are pretty **** stupid trying to live in this art of the
    land in the dead of winter. even WE dont live here".
    Of course the pilgrims being superstitious thought that the devil had come
    to them with his minions to kill the puritan way of life. The pilgrims would
    have shot the indians but they were so cold that they did not have much
    feeling in thier fingers to load and pull the trigger.
    So the pilgrims prayed for god to deliver them from these devil heathans and
    yet again god answered with an indian with a pipe who came up to them and said
    "here smoke this,,it will make you feel better".
    Now that the pilgrims were stoned and high as a kite they realized " hey
    were freakin hungry"
    But there was no food around and when you have several stoned people with the
    munchies, its not a pretty sight.
    SO the indians went out and got some turkeys and squash and other things and
    fed the stoned purtians. they were so thankful and they prayed to god and
    everyone was happy.
    The pilgrims had enough strength now to load thier guns and shoot the indians
    in the back and raid thier villiage and steal all thier food and kill thier
    women and children. some say it was because the indians ran out of pot and you
    know how some people get when they got no pot.
    So anyway thats why we Proud Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. To
    celebrate the coming together of different peoples to share food and warmth
    and good tidings.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING KFM FORUM!

mrtws
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Here is a different version of the History to chew on:

History

Either way enjoy your Holiday.

"Of course the pilgrims being superstitious thought that the devil had come
    to them with his minions to kill the puritan way of life."

Oh, the irony.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

You silly Americans with your silly holidays...
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Thumbs up

Thanks.
    Even though thanksgiving is not a part of local curriculum.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Sadly, neither history offered so far is historically accurate. The real story of the first Thanksgiving in the early colony was the result of the surplus of the Pilgrims, not the Puritans who came later. The surplus was shared with the friendly native Americans in the area in recognition of their good relations and their help in such matters as showing the colonists how to plant and raise maize.

It's unfortunate that Americans don't know their own history. The story itself shows the rest of the world which seeks to emulate American success, that success results from hard work.

Happy Thanksgiving and Hannukah.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Originally posted by Grendel

The story itself shows the rest of the world which seeks to emulate American success, that success results from hard work.
    Rest of world be not trying to emulate no nuthin.
    Hard work my ass who you tryin to fool, fool.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

MonkeyBoy Guest

The True Meanng of Thanksgiving

Originally posted by Xebsball

Rest of world be not trying to emulate no nuthin.
    Hard work my ass who you tryin to fool, fool.
    Xebsball you couldn't keep it real, you FOOL?

Here in New York on a daily basis you get to here both the native the immigrant population bad mouth their hosts.

Abroad in many countries you here the same sentiment.

However the latest figures show that Americans are not flocking overseas to a better place. The opposite has always been the case. Actually it's the rest of the world that seeks to recruit our talent and they pay us handsomely for our services.

While the fact is that our economy drives more than half of the worlds economic engines goes largely ignored by those who benefit. The Israelis recieve over 15 billion a year in aid and they are on the low end of our good nature. American aid monies far outweigh the all UNESCO contributions combined and when we as a nation balk at a UN proposal or fee, American private interests and charities continue to spread the wealth and aid.

All of South and Central Americas, Africa and recently a good part of Asia rely on money earned here to keep them from bankruptcy and anarchy. Try to remember, if more than half of the money spent or saved in your country comes from the USA, your country is a failure by any standard.

So for the recent past, we forgave all your war debts from WWI and WWII because who are we kidding, only one European country ever even tried to pay us back. We packed up and defeated Nazism even after the atrocious behaviour of Europe after the first world war we won for them. American economic boycotts of South Africa did more to end apartheid than anything any native African attempted. By the way, that was a popular movement and it was not sponsored nor was it supported by the American goverment at the time.

The Japanese only have affordable oil because we sell them what comes out of Alaska. We go to war in the Mid-east to protect european interests. The US and Russia have the worlds largest oil reserves and production ability we don't need the Arab oil, we're looking out for countries that haven't been able to care for themselves for the last century. Think hard, we export oil. If need be the Japanese can take advantage of the natural gas pipeline in the Russian Sahkalin to drive their industry, we can keep our low grade from Alaska and Europe can feel free to freeze and starve.

For those of you who want to look at our Human Rights record, try to remember that the countries we bought our slaves from, still have slavery today. The recent forum for reparations to the descendents of former African/African-American slaves was held in country that openly enslaves Christians. That movement did not include any discussion of the English, Scottish, Irish, German or Dutch who were sold into the same servitude. People also forget that both white and black laborers, whether called slaves or indentured servants had the opportunity to buy their own freedom.

For those of you not on the current page, the last 50 years have seen massive reparations to American Native Peoples and they are financially, educationally and doing better than most. The Indian nations exist as free econimic, social and political entities. Oh and they recieve aid money also.

We even send food and money to Russia and if you didn't know, they worked against us the longest and hardest. They unlike the Chinese, never defeated us in battle and never saw fit to take us on directly. Hey even after we fought to a stalemate with them in Korea and set up a DMZ there, we eventually freed up enough technology/trade in the past 10 years to make China a modern nation in every sense.

Come to New York and see the cities we built for our disenfranchised, the massive projects that have been turned from affordable housing to free housing, to gang and drug infested ghettos by the inhabitants. See the people who do not report crime to their police force and expect police protection. Visit nation within a nation that attacks firefighters who come to put out their fires and rob emergencey services workers who come to aid them in their hour of need. Come and listen to them cry about the level of crime they create, tolerate and maintain by themselves. Try to remember they get free medical insurance, educational aid, public schooling, money for college, food, SSi benefits, housing and the privelidge of living in nation which has not had war on our soil for over 140 years. While those who do work, pay taxes and pay for their own housing here do not.

When you see all that for what it is, the fact that we feed, power and clothe the rest of you as well as our own, it is no big surprise that you have ended up as ungrateful, weak and dependent on us as you are.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who get to spend my tax dollars and will never contribute to my countries wealth, whether you live here or afar. I know your not grateful but that's because you're embarressed at your own failures and need for our charity.

For those of you who bother to read the whole thing, sorry for any mis-spellings, this place sorely needs a spell checker, not just for me but for those who post this forum to bash the USA too.

"People also forget that both white and black laborers, whether called slaves or indentured servants had the opportunity to buy their own freedom."

Well, isn't that nice. At least the system was fair.

"While the fact is that our economy drives more than half of the worlds economic engines goes largely ignored by those who benefit."

Of course, we drive these economies solely out of the goodness of our hearts.

"All of South and Central Americas, Africa and recently a good part of Asia rely on money earned here to keep them from bankruptcy and anarchy."

You do realize that we rely on other economies for stability as well, right? World economy, right?

"We packed up and defeated Nazism even after the atrocious behaviour of Europe after the first world war we won for them."

What were the brits doing during WWII? What about the russians? Oh yeah, fighting the nazis too, and giving us the entrance we needed to win the war AS A GROUP. After all, if it were just us and the germans, the war would have been much different.

"American economic boycotts of South Africa did more to end apartheid than anything any native African attempted."

People dying over there resisting the unfair system sure seemed to draw our attention well enough. But their contributions are moot, apparently.

"The Japanese only have affordable oil because we sell them what comes out of Alaska."

We do that for cash and for interests in the area, not because we want to be like santa claus.

"The US and Russia have the worlds largest oil reserves and production ability we don't need the Arab oil, we're looking out for countries that haven't been able to care for themselves for the last century."

Yeah, that's why we're looking at drilling more. We use foreign oil, I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but they were wrong.

"Think hard, we export oil."

Think harder, we also import it.

"For those of you not on the current page, the last 50 years have seen massive reparations to American Native Peoples and they are financially, educationally and doing better than most. The Indian nations exist as free econimic, social and political entities. Oh and they recieve aid money also"

Haven't been on many reservations, have you?

"We even send food and money to Russia and if you didn't know, they worked against us the longest and hardest. They unlike the Chinese, never defeated us in battle and never saw fit to take us on directly. Hey even after we fought to a stalemate with them in Korea and set up a DMZ there, we eventually freed up enough technology/trade in the past 10 years to make China a modern nation in every sense."

Wow, it's amazing how you took the chinese completely out of that equation.

"Come to New York and see the cities we built for our disenfranchised, the massive projects that have been turned from affordable housing to free housing, to gang and drug infested ghettos by the inhabitants."

Build a ghetto and you'll get a ghetto. Ghettos don't usually start from GOOD housing.

"See the people who do not report crime to their police force and expect police protection."

If the police cannot become a greater power in an area than gangs, then what good is calling the police if you get killed for it? You expect standards of selflessness that I suspect that you could never live up to. Could you risk your children's lives in order to report a crime?

"Visit nation within a nation that attacks firefighters who come to put out their fires and rob emergencey services workers who come to aid them in their hour of need. Come and listen to them cry about the level of crime they create, tolerate and maintain by themselves. Try to remember they get free medical insurance, educational aid, public schooling, money for college, food, SSi benefits, housing and the privelidge of living in nation which has not had war on our soil for over 140 years. While those who do work, pay taxes and pay for their own housing here do not."

What a handy generalization. You mean, working folk would never cheat the system, making the gap between themselves and the extreme poor even bigger? And all those people in ghettos get all those benefits, eh? Your vision of social security involves a pretty **** efficient beaurocracy spreading all that money around, if all those people are all getting those benefits. Oh right, they're not. I forgot. It was just a post, not reality. Silly me.

"When you see all that for what it is, the fact that we feed, power and clothe the rest of you as well as our own, it is no big surprise that you have ended up as ungrateful, weak and dependent on us as you are."

Assuming that 'what it is' is anything more than hperbole you heard on Rush Limbaugh.

"Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who get to spend my tax dollars and will never contribute to my countries wealth, whether you live here or afar. I know your not grateful but that's because you're embarressed at your own failures and need for our charity."

Well, it's not really charity when you don't even sound like you like doing it, and will cry if you don't get credit for it despite that fact, is it?

Frankly, they weren't really 'bashing america'. On top of it, all three histories, from what I've read, are completely spurious in relation to Thanksgiving.

The fact is, it's a little duplicitious to celebrate a myth where we got along with the natives who we rather efficiently turned around and exterminated, and if you think that's country bashing, you're clueless on history. I can far better prove that we killed natives on purpose than you can prove that we ever even wanted to get along with them as a nation.

Nonetheless, I hope you had a good thanksgiving as a day to be with family and give thanks. But as a day to celebrate the native-european joyland that was early america? Get a grip, it never really was for long enough to count for much of anything. It's a myth, like the easter bunny and santa claus.

I do so LOVE revisionist history... where we judge the morality of populations 200 or 300 years long deceased based on 21st century standards of decency.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

" Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Small pox in blankets was never the norm for behavior, merry. In addition, I don't think the conditions that lead to the destruction of the native cultures had as much to do with era as much as opportunity. No one was there to stop people from taking land. Quite a while before, the crusaders tried the same thing, but got spanked a bit. Many centuries later, the germans tried, too. America was unique, because it got to do things without undue interference from other modern countries once the brits and french were largely driven out. So we took what we wanted using means that, even at the time, were considered dishonest by honest folk. Or are we to assume that the behavior by any nation's military is typical of the rest of the culture?

I'm not saying we should be ashamed. I'm saying that thanksgiving has little to no historical backing, it's just an excuse for a decent holiday. Which of us does history support more on this one?
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 11-30-2002 at 12:04 PM.

oh Fawk

what did i just start? im sorry guys i was just playin around now. i didnt mean to start a bunch of riteous rabble rousing.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Re: oh Fawk

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    what did i just start? im sorry guys i was just playin around now. i didnt mean to start a bunch of riteous rabble rousing.
    Wabble wousing? Where?

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    LOL @ Monkey rant
    I was gonna reply to the MonkeySpanker but KC already did it

Thanx KC
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA