Thread: Walking straight as a candle

Walking straight as a candle

Hey dudes, I'm trying very hard to walk as straight as possible, without looking like a total ass But it's kinda hard though, so I try to do some exercises which stimulate the walking-straight part, cause the second I don't pay attention, I walk like a dwarve again lmao (ok ok not that bad ^^). Anyway I was wondering if there are ACTUAL exercises to make people who walk not-straight walk straight =] (not that I walk with a totally ****ed up back, I just notice it could be better)
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

Wait, are you talking about walking in a straight line or walking with a straight back?
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

are you talking about walking in a straight line
    If that's the case, you might wanna lay off the booze ...
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Yeah, I have no idea how to help a person walk in a straight line. If you're looking to improve your general posture, which is always a good idea, I gots to recommend the Yoga.

If you do Tai Chi, I can't recommend Yoga enough. You have a lot of the same goals. Tai Chi accomplishes some more expendiently, Yoga others.

Especially in your case, the ideas overlap. The concept of a string in the back of your head going up to the ceiling. If you bend, only bend at the hip and maintain a straight back. Attempt to elongate the spine, imagine creating more space between the vertibrae.

These are the basic, simple ideas at the root of good posture.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

haha quiet man
    Yes of course I mean a straight BACK roflmao

And I don't do Yoga etc.. for the one simple reason : No way to find a class in my region

So I am kinda looking for some online texts/pictures about exercises that people do to help to straghten their backs (my lower back is fine, cause I work my abdomens alot, which helps alot for the back stuff, but it's the shoulder height (and a little lower)) that tempts to 'tuck' in.

Thanks
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

You're back is supposed to have some curvature in it (when viewed from the side). But it should be straight up and down when viewed from the back or front.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Are the muscles in your back overly tight? this can curve your back forward a little for some people. try to stay relaxed.
    I am nothing.

After scr#wing up my back and trapping a nerve in the process I was given a simple tip by my physio, clench your butt cheeks and push your pelvis forward slightly !!

Try this: stand relaxed and notice your posture, don't try to correct it, just feel any stress in your back. Now take a good breath in, lift your shoulders up and back to open out the chest and clench your cheeks (not the ones on your face) and lift your pelvis slightly. Now from this very unnatural position try relaxing your shoulders and walk around. This will feel very strange at first but with a bit of time you'll learn to relax your cheeks and the pelvic tilt and hopefully straighten your back a little, well it worked for me !!

Hope it helps

Originally posted by IronFist
    You're back is supposed to have some curvature in it (when viewed from the side). But it should be straight up and down when viewed from the back or front.

IronFist
    Yeah, to tell if your back is 'straight' by looking at it from the side, you want your spine at the back of your neck to be directly above your spine at the small of your back. And never to worry about what's going on in between.

Basically you want to take the line ine between the crown of your head and the tip of your tailbone, and stretch it as long and straight as possible.

A good book with a detailed explaination and exercises to help you accomplish this: Iron Shirt Chi Kung by Mantak Chia

Stoli and Fa_jing - good tips !

The only thing I have to add is that a BIG one for most people is jsut to simple never ever ever stand around with your knees locked. I don't know where most people (including myself) got this habit but once you break it and just habitually stand with your knees slightly bent, your posture improves dramatically.

Mantak Chia's books are loaded with diagrams and simple exercises.

ttt 4 2018!

We Asked a Trainer How Often You'd Need to Walk to Lose Weight, and Her Answer Is Surprising
    November 26, 2018
    by CAITLYN FITZPATRICK

Unrecognizable muscular man running or walking on track field, low angle view of his running shoes.

If you're new to working out, it's entirely possible for you to burn fat and lose weight simply by walking. But just how often would you need to walk to get there? That's the question we posed to Anna Victoria, a NASM-certified personal trainer and creator of the Body Love app.

"I would say that about 30 minutes three times a week is a good amount to walk in order to see progress," Anna said. "What you want to do is to get your heart rate within the LISS (or low-intensity steady state) range." LISS cardio is cardio that's performed at a lower intensity but for a longer period of time, and it's known to help jump-start weight loss.

So, how can you ensure you're in that zone? For LISS cardio, you should be able to talk while you walk, Anna explained. If you're going so fast that you can't hold a conversation, you're doing more intense cardio. On a treadmill, that's around 3.8 to 4 mph.

Once you're ready to pick up the pace, Anna suggested trying intervals. Instead of walking longer, increase the intensity. Use those 30 minutes to do LISS for one minute, then light jogging for one minute, and so on.

Of course, nutrition is also key if you want to see results. "You can't work off a bad diet, especially with just walking," Anna said. Cut back on processed foods and those that are high in sugar, and eat a balanced diet of lean protein, good carbs, and healthy fats. "As long as you're doing that, then you should be able to see progress," she said.
    30 min 3x a week? I do that and my qi belly is still plump. I call BS on this.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Roller

I used a roller on my back. Lay back on the roller perpendicular to your body, with your arms thrown up and back. Then roll it straightening it out. Not only did this elingate and straightened my back but it showed me my natural posture that was easy to hold afterwards. Just so refreshing!

Another one is to do the same thing but on a flat floor, without letting the arms leave the contact in the floor, and pretend you do a pull up. Thats a great stretch for the upper back.