Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Grappling thread

Ultimate Grappling thread

There are hundreds of grappling arts with many similar techniques and priciples, and also some that may be unique to a particular style. Lets list as many as we can think of, and some of the techniques and principles that drive them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

do we want to start with styles or techniques? I think it would be more edifying to go by technique.

1. shoulder throw.

Grasp opponent by wrist and elbow, turn feet to point in same direction as opponent's feet, back hips tightly against opponent's hips, move armpit of opponent's controlled arm over shoulder, take 'hop' backwards and bend at waist.

I've learned this separately in taiji and judo classes, I expect pretty much every style has it's own (minor) variation on it.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

wu ti.

anyone know anything about it?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    wu ti.
    didn't he have a band in the 90's called The Blowfish?

shuai chiao shoulder throw - both hands are on opponents wrist with the outside of their elbow against the top of your shoulder
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

I've never taken BJJ, but I have seen a few classes and a few practioners and it looks kinda simular to the Ne Waza that I've taken.

I like Ne Waza, it has effective chokes holds and grappling techniques.I believe it's a combo of a few styles.

History
    http://www.jukokai.com/docs/html/tea...grappling.html
    Honest Neutral Clarity

The shoulder throw is also in shuai chiao - "Rhino gazes at the moon"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

N'sF already said it - I need to start hitting the refresh button when I've been on a page for awhile!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

that's exactly why I wanted this thread:

"shuai chiao shoulder throw - both hands are on opponents wrist with the outside of their elbow against the top of your shoulder"

"Grasp opponent by wrist and elbow, turn feet to point in same direction as opponent's feet, back hips tightly against opponent's hips, move armpit of opponent's controlled arm over shoulder, take 'hop' backwards and bend at waist."

It's interesting to see how different styles utilize what is basically the same technique.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

It looks to me like the SC version is more likely to result in a popped elbow than a throw. OUCH!
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

I cannot contribute anything of value to this thread
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

the elbow popping happens a split second before the throw...the safe version of this - both hands are on the opponents bicep instead of the wrist, opponents elbow is still against the top of the shoulder.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    It seems to be my comprehension that all techniques with the phrase/word Rhino are references to arm techniques.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Yeah, Seven's "Rhino Looks at the Moon" being a throw always confused me (although I just attributed it to a difference in usage.) Where I am, "Rhino Looks at the Moon" is a qigong posture in the 13 naughty boys. To do it, you stand with your legs crossed at the ankles, and the hand on the side of the leg that's in front grasps that leg's ankle. The other hand is held at the hip, and the eyes look at the elbow that's pointing up in the air. Now, obviously this stance has applications for a shoulder throw, but we don't use the name for the throw itself.

Neptune:

I don't understand - in the 'safe' version you have both hands on the bicep but the elbow is still on your shoulder. I can see how that would be safer, but how do you get the hand from the opposite side of the fulcrum shoulder back there? It seems like it would be coming across your face or throat - a bad position in my view. Also, with the hands on the bicep, that allows the elbow to bend so the hand can attack the face, doesn't it?
    Crippled Avenger

the ultimate grappling defense:

Look so repulsive no-one would want to touch you.

http://cache.eonline.com/Gossip/Fash...ove.102802.jpg
    Crippled Avenger

Chang Style Novice

Where the HELL did you get a picture of Raleks girlfriend?
    Honest Neutral Clarity