Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any comic book fans here??

Originally posted by quiet man
    'Ow about this one? Or this one? Here's another one...

I'm not very fond of Cage either, but Keanu??? Ewwwww!!!
    I'm thinking Kevin Spacey (he may not look like Constantine, but he's one d@mn fine actor) or maybe Colin Farrell...
    What a terrible, terrible shame.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I had seen an ad for their stuff, but I haven't been able to find it in my area. Someday, perhaps.
    well you could always order online...
    They're even offering PDF samples.

Oh... and I just read the latest issue of New X meN

KICK @SS!!!

Went on a little resource procurement run to Chicago this
    past weekend (Ok, I really went to visit friends and see a
    concert, but trips to Chicago always involve getting a lot of
    otherwise unobtainable swag like comics and CDs) and ended
    up getting the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon graphic novel.
    It's really good. I'm looking forward to future issues. I was
    also eyeing the Cowboy Bebop books. They don't seem to be
    the same stories as found on the DVDs, or at least the two
    discs I've seen.

Originally posted by Marshdrifter
    I was
    also eyeing the Cowboy Bebop books. They don't seem to be
    the same stories as found on the DVDs, or at least the two
    discs I've seen.
    Yeah, anime and manga run different stories of the same characters. You might want to check out RealBout High School, if you can find it. It's about a high school where martial arts are BIG part of extracurricular activities, students can challenge each other to "K-Fights". I picked up mine at Borders and B&N.

There are some episodes of it on DVD, the stories also being a bit different from the manga. I like the manga better, it's more martial art focused.
    Last edited by cho; 01-21-2003 at 06:04 PM.

Any info on this year's Angouleme winner "Jimmy Corrigan"? Anybody read it?

SAVE THIS THREAD!!!
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

re: "Jimmy Corrigan."

I've been following the career of Chris Ware for about fifteen years, since his undergraduate days in the art department at UT (where I am ...sigh... STILL an undergrad in the art department.) Chris is simply one of the greatest comics writers and artists in the history of the medium, and I'm not just saying that out of Longhorn Pride. "Jimmy Corrigan" has been in the works for literally years - probably close to a decade, or even more - and is one of the very few true graphics novels yet published. I italicize novel because the depth of feeling, precise characterization, and insight into the human condition demonstrated by this work truly makes it a masterpiece on the level of the very greatest in world fiction. The artwork, which is equally deep, precise, and insightful is also simple, elegant, and gorgeous. Most of the material in "Jimmy Corrigan" originated in Ware's irregular (in schedule, but also in size shape and format) comic book "The Acme Novelty Library" published by Fantagraphics Books. "Jimmy Corrigan" is a little more traditional in style and format than some of Ware's earlier, wildly experimental stuff, but it still rewards close reading and an intimate understanding of the medium. In fact, it so smartly straddles the line between artsy and down-to-earth that it would also function as a fine educational tool for showing the incredible potential of the sequential art form.

If memory serves, the softcover of "Jimmy Corrigan" is about $35. It's a bargain at twice the price. If you just can't get enough of the guy, he also does freelance work as a graphic designer (you'll see the g.d. influence in his comics.) One recent project of his is the reprints of "The Complete Krazy Kat Sunday Strips" which are also published by Fantagraphics, and you should buy those because Krazy Kat is effing brilliant. George Herriman is one of those few comics artists that I would place on the same plane as Chris Ware.

To sum up...no joke, man, them books is the bomb diggy.

And if you think I'm frontin' about being an ol' skool Chris Ware head, just check my earlier posts on this thread. I mention "Acme Novelty Library" in my first post, and Chris Ware a few days later.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 02-08-2003 at 07:14 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Wow, thnx CSN man.

I think I couldn't get a better answer even if I paid for it . I'll be sure to pick up a copy of JC after this...
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

Hurray for the revivial of this thred!!!

Yeah... Thought the Acme Novelty Library rocked...

went to APE (the Alternative Press Expo) the other weekend and had a blast!!!

Tons of great stuff, very independant and inspiring...

In terms of Namedropping... the best I can do is claim that I attended the same Advertising Art & Design program at the same school as John (Amazing Spiderman) Romita Jr.
    not that I ever met him or anything... but I did have the Wife of Bob Rozakas (DC comics V.P. of some eyar ago) as an english teacher...

... did I mention she was pretty HOT as well?

THE 'ULTIMATE' SERIES?

A Croatian publisher recently started printing Ultimate Spiderman & Ultimate X-men series (3 issues so far). What say you guys?

I like:
    Adam Kubert's artwork (I almost wrote 'aardvark ; what would Sigmund Freud think?! )
    Don't like:
    rewriting history (I mean, where's Gwen Stacy and her death - very important)
    Peter looks like Harry Potter

DesignSifu - @ english teacher...
    Mine was a total dawg . Come to think of it, I never had a hot teacher in all my life; average ones at best...

English teachers

Yeah I admit it... I had a for such a teacher...

On Ultimate marvel:
    Re writing History was a risk... I think the Goal of distilling the essance of those charactors & making them more pertenate to current time worthy. Sometime a success Sometimes not.

Still you have to admit that there is alot of History that is better left forgotten... clone saga anyone?

If you come accross The Ultimates you might want to check it out. It's prettymuch everything that's best about the Ultimate line in one book.

Not to fond of the Aardvark artwork or the art for Ultimate Spiderman. However at least the Spiderman art's been consistant. While the Kuberts' have been quite erratic.

Still I can't stop recommeding New X meN!!!

Inother news... Joe Sacco just came out with a new TPB... has anyone checked out his stuff since his name last was mentioned?

Been too broke to get anything new in ages. It's that art school thing.

But I couldn't possible give two shoots about X-Men or Spider-man anyway at this point in my life. Joe Sacco, now that I could get into.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Been too broke to get anything new in ages. It's that art school thing.
    Same here... except for me it's that law school thing...

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    But I couldn't possible give two shoots about X-Men or Spider-man anyway at this point in my life. Joe Sacco, now that I could get into.
    Speaking of old Spidey: I think I wouldn't mind spending some money on "The Essential Spiderman". Not very expensive here either - cca 125 HRK (~ 16$).
    And Joe Sacco... currently n/a in my local comics store... have to order it...

Well, if I won the lottery, I'd be more than happy to burn a bunch of cash on hardcover reprints of the classic Ditko stuff. What I don't care about at all is the current book.
    Crippled Avenger

Seems like this thread has a "do not resuscitate" sign... oh well...

Just picked a copy of Ultimate Marvel Team Up (published here in Croatia). Spiderman/X-men was rather disappointing, but Spiderman/FF was hilarious. Electra's costume that says "I die alot" on the front, ads for Sensitive Thor and Return of the Black Costume ("word!" ), Skrull leader screaming about using up all exclamation marks in the world... it cracked me up. And who was that guy talking about saving the entire comics industry? Was it Marvel's notorious Jim Shooter?

C'mon you guys, work with me

Has anybody been reading Lau's "Xin: Legend of the Monkey King" series? It was a 3 issue mini-series, now to be followed by a an ongoing "Journey of the Monkey King" title. Kind of a Manga/Dragonball retake on the old legend.

What did you think of it?

Anyone?

Bueller?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching