Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any comic book fans here??

cowboy bebop is classic. There won't be anything like it again, I bet. Have you seen the movie "Knockin on Heaven's Door" yet?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Dunno if anyone's mentioned the "New Mutants" yet (haven't read the whole thread), but I used to love them. I hate that they disbanded and started the X-Force.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by cho
    does anyone here read kung fu comics?

I like Storm Riders, a classic.

I just picked up Story of the Tao and the Crouching Tiger comic, both are good.
    Was it related to the movie? If so, was it better? I hated the movie.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Marshdrifter:

and no wonder! I left out the 'n'

http://www.mnftiu.com

check out episode 20

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

XIN:

I picked up issues #2,#3...

Fun & beautiful art for sure... but a bit too Manga for my tastes...

I'm actually liking WAY of THE RAT much more.

Re: XIN:

Originally posted by Design Sifu
    I picked up issues #2,#3...

Fun & beautiful art for sure... but a bit too Manga for my tastes...

I'm actually liking WAY of THE RAT much more.
    Yep, that's exactly how I felt. WOTR is great, Chuck Dixon is a legend.

I got the first installment of the Crouching Tiger comic the other day. I thought that was simply awful! Very disappointing.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

NEWS....

BATMAN: Hong Kong

DC has announced that legendary Hong Kong comics creator Tony Wong will team up with veteran Batman scribe Doug Moench for an original, 4-color hardcover graphic novel, entitled BATMAN: HONG KONG. Scheduled for June release, this 128-page epic takes Batman from his Gotham City home to the other side of the globe for a "truly international adventure."

"Tony's art combines linework, dazzling color and painterly techniques, and he provides everything from layouts to separations," says Group Editor Andy Helfer. "Tony practically invented the comics business in Hong Kong, so we're very pleased to have him on board and working with the tremendously talented Doug Moench on this amazing story."

BATMAN: HONG KONG begins when the Dark Knight discovers a serial killer who uses streaming video to broadcast his vicious executions via the internet. To put a stop to these brutal slayings, Batman travels to Hong Kong, where he gets caught in the middle of a feud between two brothers: one, the head of a local gang of criminals, the other, the chief of police! Now, the Dark Knight's only hope may be Hong Kong's own super-hero, the mysterious Night Dragon.

BATMAN: HONG KONG is a 128-page, 4-color, hardcover graphic novel scheduled to reach comic book stores in June.
    For those of you unfamiliar with Tony Wong... some of his books include The Legendary Couple, Mega Dragon & Tiger and Weapons of the Gods .

Could be interesting...

Originally posted by SevenStar

Was it related to the movie? If so, was it better? I hated the movie.
    The movie was based on the fourth of five books. the comics take place before the movie. I haven't read any of the books, so I can't say if they are true to the original or anything. I can't even find them in English.

HAPPY B-DAY DESIGN SIFU!

(The subject pretty much says it all ...)

Treat yourself to some brand new and expensive comics, why don't ya?
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

helllz yeah...

My Girlfriend took me out Comic Shopping actually...
    We had a great time & I picked out some nice tidbits...

Stromriders:
    anyone interested in checking out the english versions should go here..

Man, I wish I had a girlfriend like that... heck, I wish I had a girlfriend, period ...

Anyway, you guys heard about LOEG: The Movie? See also here.
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

LOEG:

yeah I've been watching some of it's development with mixed feelings...

on the one hand I'm hopeful and the fanboy in me is totally jazzed at the thought of it hitting the big screen.

On the other hand I worry... especially after seeing how FROM HELL was treated. An amazing book by Mr. Moore turned into a barely recognisable movie...

BATMAN shops at Martial Arts Mart!!!

Though not exactly a part of his Utility Belt, Batman's silken rope was another on of the Dark Knight's most powerful tools. Equipped with a grappling hook (easily bought for under $30 at most stores handling mountain climbing gear, as well as many internet shops that specialize in ninja accessories), the slender line offered Batman a silent and secret method to scale buildings without being seen by his enemies inside.
    Learn more in The Science of Superheroes

Re: BATMAN shops at Martial Arts Mart!!!

Now, if they could only hire Catwoman as a 'got qi' girl... meoooowww

From Hell - didn't read the book, but I kinda liked the movie. You say it's no good? Elaborate, please

fromHELL:

I didn't hate the movie... but it was a pale shadow of the book... which I would seriously recomend.

it's no easy read though, be warned... it's a heavily researched piece written in the dilect of the time. Much of the first quarter sets the stage, introduces many of the charactors... the most significant of which is London's whitechapel district itself.

We get to see the childhood & development of Dr. William Gull... as well as much of the masonic activities that where briefly touched upon from the film.

Johnny Depp's charactor was actually 2 charactors in the book, both of whome aren't introduced until much later.

When the "killings" start the story follows much of Gull's activities... though to be honest the book is very much about the people of whitechaple and their effect on that time period as well as that time period's effect on it's people. Tabloid Journalism, upper class vs. lower class, social climate, arcitecture.

What's "scary" in the book was (for me) the level of ignorance commonly displayed. There's one scene where someone suggests "dusting for fingerprints" (a method not previously used at that time) only to be dismissed as a loon for wanting to make a bigger mess of the already messy crime scene. these ironies pepper the book.

Then there's the weird mystical aspects as experienced by Dr. Gull leading him to believe he gave birth to the 20th century. This was also lightly touched up in the film but was deminished by a lack of context & background. There's a much more logicial progression from Gull's masonic initiation-to royal doctor-to Jack the Ripper.

A heavy read and one that could only have been achieved through the medium of comics. Also there's an appendix included that's easily about 1/5th the size of the whole story. Every Panel on every page is explained, referenced and or translated. Like a said, a heavily researched book.

find it . . .