Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Misleading others' children" vs. "inheriting the complete skill"

Question "Misleading others' children" vs. "inheriting the complete skill"

Why didn't Yip Man publicly name a successor?

Successor to who?

He was not the successor of the place where he trained, and he never considered himself a grand master, nor was he dubbed the grand master by his own sifu.

So what? You're saying he didn't name a successor because he thought he was a nobody?

Re: "Misleading others' children" vs. "inheriting the complete skill"

Ooooh here there be dragons.

Political dragons.

Whose monetary "rice bowls" do you want to start busting on?

Yip Man Wing Chun Kuen was left in very some capable hands, it is up to the student to know who those really are.

Originally posted by [Censored]
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Why would he need to name a successor?

Kung fu systems dont always have the same succession system.
    But the common aspects of structure are well known: seniority among REGULAR students depends on when one starts with a sifu. Seniority deserves respect but seniority, knowledge and ability are quite different things.

Re: "Misleading others' children" vs. "inheriting the complete skill"

Originally posted by [Censored]
    I doubt he was publicly named the successor (possibly because he isn't), so why would he feel the need to do so?

With so many Wing Chun experts on this board, I'm hoping somebody can answer my question, and not with another question.

I doubt he was publicly named the successor (possibly because he isn't), so why would he feel the need to do so?

How many people were practicing WC before he started teaching, and how many near the time of his death?

Why would he need to name a successor?

It is not about need. When there is no named successor...well, we all know what the result is, don't we? And it's hardly surprising.

Whose monetary "rice bowls" do you want to start busting on?

Please note, I didn't ask WHO the successor should be. I am asking why NOBODY was named.

I dont get what you are getting at Censor

If you learned off Sifu John, with a bunch of other guys and your just one of the bunch and you run off to another country and started teaching wing chun, there isnt much need to name a successor as you yourself werent one anyway. Not saying that you are neccessarily a no one, you could be the most talented or one of the most talented.

Why would you want to name a succesor anyway, he had many talented students who were skillfull in different areas and ways. Once his students became teachers they went and taught their own classes. So what would naming a successor do, just tell people that there is one teacher who is better than the others.

I think he should have created some sort of certificate that said this sifu has reached a high standard of W.C and is qualified to teach. Because your right the W.C world is a mess, and there should have been something left behind that says there is no successor or grandmaster, then there wouldnt be all these problems.

But anyway it sounds like he had a very casual approach to teaching which explains why every one has very different ways of doing it.

It is not about need. When there is no named successor...well, we all know what the result is, don't we? And it's hardly surprising.
    When Mas Oyama ( creator of Kyokushin karate ) named a successor in his style there was still a split. Would it really have made a difference?

Sadly, Sosai Mas Oyama died, of lung cancer (as a non-smoker), at the age of 70 in April 1994, leaving the then 5th dan Akiyoshi Matsui in charge of the organisation. This has had many political and economic ramifications throughout the Kyokushin world, which are still being resolved. In the end, the result may well be a splintering of Kyokushin, much like Shotokan now appears to have done, with each group claiming to be the one-and-only true heir of Mas Oyama's Kyokushin, either spiritually or even financially.

It has even been suggested, not entirely in jest, by one Kyokushin writer in Australia (Harry Rogers) that maybe Oyama created the turmoil on purpose, because he didn't want Kyokushin to survive without him! It is however reasonably certain that all Kyokushin groups, regardless of their ultimate allegiance, will still maintain the standards set by Mas Oyama.
    http://www.safesci.unsw.edu.au/KARATE/Oyama.htm
    Last edited by S.Teebas; 12-02-2002 at 10:55 PM.
    S.Teebas

Originally posted by S.Teebas
    It is however reasonably certain that all Kyokushin groups, regardless of their ultimate allegiance, will still maintain the standards set by Mas Oyama.
    I doubt that this statement is true about Kyokushin today. It certainly isn't the case in Shotokan or Wing Chun.

Thanks for the insights.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Originally posted by Grendel

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by S.Teebas
    It is however reasonably certain that all Kyokushin groups, regardless of their ultimate allegiance, will still maintain the standards set by Mas Oyama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt that this statement is true about Kyokushin today. It certainly isn't the case in Shotokan or Wing Chun.

Thanks for the insights.

Regards,
    Unless of course, this was a back-handed statement of the lack of standards that existed anyway.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

I'm a bit confused. Isn't everyone that practices Yip Man WCK a successor or inheritor of that lineage?

Terence

I'm not sure that anybody here is sufficiently familiar with what
    Yip Man was thinking in not naming a successor. He had his
    reasons for doing what he did or perhaps it didn't even occur to
    him to name one. I couldn't tell you.

It does seem that the Wing Chun world would have been better
    off if nobody worried about who was Yip Man's successor.

Because he was smarter than many give him credit for. After he passed away, anyone claiming it publically or privately could be ignored, and the people quietly going about do honor to his memory could be sought out.

RR