Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yang Jwing-Ming's Shaolin Long Fist?

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_Jedi View Post
    Is Yang Jwing-Ming's Shaolin Long Fist really Shaolin?

Coz I've seen his Shaolin book and the basic forms in there don't match the 10 basic forms or sets found in Bak Sil Lum or the Songshan Shaolin.

I am not sure if this addressed or not but YJM's Shaolin Long Fist has nothing to do with Northern Shaolin (aka Bak Sil Lum) they are different systems essentially.

I do believe there are many systems that can be lumped into the general term "Long Fist" and since I believe there is a saying that "all kung fu came from shaolin" I would safely assume most styles some how originated from Shaolin.

ULTIMATELY even within the Shaolin Temple there are many styles and systems.

So I guess in this case of YJM it's not the difference of players. interpretation, or lineage...they are simply not the same style.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    I am not sure if this addressed or not but YJM's Shaolin Long Fist has nothing to do with Northern Shaolin (aka Bak Sil Lum) they are different systems essentially.

I do believe there are many systems that can be lumped into the general term "Long Fist" and since I believe there is a saying that "all kung fu came from shaolin" I would safely assume most styles some how originated from Shaolin.

ULTIMATELY even within the Shaolin Temple there are many styles and systems.

So I guess in this case of YJM it's not the difference of players. interpretation, or lineage...they are simply not the same style.
    Long Fist is one of the northern Shaolin system. There are other northern Shaolin systems like Liu He(6 Harmony), Mei Hua (Plum Flower), Yian Qin, in northern China . In the past, CMA society simply divided CMA into northern and southern shoalin systems. People categorize systems in Yellow river area (Norhtern China) as Northern Shaolin, and systems around Yan-Tzi river and south of it (Southern China) as southern Shaolin. There are many northern Shaolin systems, so are southern Shaolin. It was the easiest way to identify what kind of system people practice.

"Shaolin" Long Fist

Nanjing Kou-Shu Institute had Two departments, a "Shaolin" department and a "Wudang" department, right?

Non Internal-Family Longfist was taught in the "Shaolin" department, so perhaps "Shaolin Longfist" is a reference to the Longfist curriculum decended from Nanjing's Kou-Shu Institute's "Shaolin" department.
    Train, Train, Train

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    What is this form?

tai zu pan long gun
    It's a dragon staff or pole form

----------------->Thank you
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Great thread. Good find for me since I just started LF.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.