Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DRAGON STYLES

Lung Ying Guest

Really well said. I am always anxious to see how other schools interprete Dragon, I'm sure we would be surprised how much insight it can give us. One school may excel in a certain aspect where the other school lacks, and vice versa. Sharing can be a wonderful thing if we allow it to be.

Back to the topic. I'd love to find out exactly how Lung Ying relates to the other Dragon systems, this would be a great topic of research. mantis108, Do you believe that it all originates with the Dragon in the Shaolin animal fists? It would seem to make sense but I'm only speculating.

Peace to all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

meltdawn Guest
    Hot topic, eh gang?

LUNG YING:
    Lung, I hope Mantis clarified my reaction for you, I meant NO disrespect. We in Dragon must remain strong brethren. Due to the scarcity of our fellow practitioners in this country, we must also strive to hold true to its traditions and history.

I must make two more mentions to further clarify the discussion of the book.

"I also have Chow Fook's book on Lung Ying. His book was criticized by my Si Gong's (who studied under Master Lam) because he only studied under Master Lam for a couple years, and isn't considered to be an authority on the system."
    In 1945, Chow Fook operated 16 gyms in China. in 1962 he established a REGISTERED Dragon Fist school. This means the Lam family approved AND authorized. I only say this to give face to a great teacher so that others who may read this post gain further insight.

"Si Gong's (who studied under Master Lam
    ..." "Since he studied directly under Lam Yu Kwai"
    It is my understanding that Yip studied under Cho Sam who studied under Lam Yew Kwai. Do you study directly under Yip? So was it Cho Sam who had the opinion? I met and had lunch with Yip's top student and now a master of his own school, sifu Joe Cheung (I hope I got his last name correct!) and his class in Chinatown after the Asian Festival in May. They are a GREAT group of guys!!! I hope to visit their school when I come back up in October.

FIREWALK
    Here are my thoughts on the Dragon schools:
    Wu Tang and Omei were temples like Shao Lin. I would hazard a guess that these styles came out of each temple's five animals studies. As lung ying became a system unto itself, so must have these other temple's dragon forms. Buuut, I don't know! I study some shaolin five animals, and the dragon is different than lung ying.

BILLY PILGRIM:
    I'm about an hour south of Tampa. I'm sorry, but I have no website to pass on. My teacher does not have a school nor teach openly at this time. As far as other sites go, there are Yip's, CSTang's, Steve Martin's and then there's a Green Dragon school and lung shou pai.

Kevin Barkman Guest
    Hello all,

Mantis 108 and Meltdawn, thanks for the gentle rebuke - I apologize if I seemed a bit cross there. I learned the hard way (and am still trying to hammerfist it into my brain) not to make public my own teacher's comments and opinions, but to limit my public comments to what I have experienced myself and know to be true.

Anyway, I think an excellent body of work has been emerging from the Dragon community, starting with Sifu Martin's articles, then Sifu Yip's videos (I am really looking forward to the "advanced" video should he ever decide to make one), then on to CS Tang's releases (and Sifu Ma Gok Fai's VCD). Same kudos to Sifu Luo Han Zhong for his efforts!

There are also a few other articles posted on Dragon (from Tai Yuk Lineage), including mention from Jane Hallander, David Chow and Richard Spangler, and most recently Simon Lailey who did an article on Master Cheung Kwok Tai of the HK Dragon Sign Athletic Association. I had the priviledge of training with Mr. Lailey in HK - he was in the process of writing several articles, not only on LY, but Bak Mei and Jook Lum as well.

By the way, if there are any students from Sifu Yip Wing Hong's school on here, I would really appreciate learning what the current school's address is. Sifu Yip did me a great favour several years back, and wanted some information, but the two letters I have sent were returned - I guess he moved from his old location?

Cheers! Kevin

meltdawn Guest
    Kevin,
    I think we can all learn something from your opening paragraph. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I checked the espy site, but I doubt something sent to them would make it to Yip. I'll ask my sifu in NYC for his address. I know they are on good terms, so he should have it. Otherwise, Lung Ying should definitely know it.

I would love to have the links or possobly copies of the articles you mention. I am very fortunate to have a teacher who is not only very forthcoming with information but receptive to other views. Also, his input on the background of other lung ying masters gives me a good perspective of the style.

I have a notebook in which I am keeping all info and correspondence relating to lung ying. It is also a journal. I showed this to my teacher the first time with great trepidation. His reaction was positive; he encouraged me to dig deeper and record all my experiences along this journey so that maybe one day I can write a book. Wow...

Would you correspond with me via e-mail? Robert can vouch for my validity... no, wait! Don't ask him, he'll only say what a pest I am!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Kevin Barkman Guest
    Hi Meltdawn - please email me anytime!

Kevin Barkman hkbark@escape.ca

cheers - Kevin

FIRE HAWK Guest
    Hi Kevin Barkman i have found a strange BAI MEI,BAK MAI,WHITE EYEBROW WEBSITE.HERE it is if you have not all ready seen this website.http://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/baimei.htm and http://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/emei.htm also htt://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/tfe.htm THIS website talks about BAK MAI and his history and a form that he created called the three form eagle claw qin na and talks about the EMEI mountain school kung fu. FIRE HAWK

billy_pilgrim Guest
    meltdawn,

Thanks for the info. I live in the Tampa area and would love to study Lung Ying. My email is:
    dpr3223@hotmail.com
    Please let me know if your teacher decides to open his doors or at least accept an additional student. Thanks.

Lung Ying Guest
    Hi All,

Meltdawn-
    Again, I too, meant no disrespect to you or your schools heritage. We all must keep strong, after all there's alot we can learn from eachother!
    We have 2 Si Gong's who come to our school on Sunday's to make corrections and us give guidance. They were classmates of Si Gong Cho Sam, who also studied under Master Lam Yu Kwai, so I guess we should really be calling them both Si Bak Gong (please correct me if I'm wrong about the Chinese title for a Si Gong's classmate). I'm sure there is alot of truth to your post about Chow Fook and I always keep a very open mind, and I Thank you for your feedback. Your intention to preserve the good name and integrity of your lineage is an admirable thing and I support your views. Si Gong Cho Sam passed away a few years ago, so I was unfortunate to have never met him. So it's very lucky to have the other Si Gong's around to still give us a feel for the old world though. I fully agree with Kevin's first paragraph about what comments should be made openly. I'm sure if comments were made about my teacher, school or lineage I would feel very offended as well. Speak to you soon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Barkman:
    Hello all,

By the way, if there are any students from Sifu Yip Wing Hong's school on here, I would really appreciate learning what the current school's address is. Sifu Yip did me a great favour several years back, and wanted some information, but the two letters I have sent were returned - I guess he moved from his old location?

Cheers! Kevin
    [/quote]

Hi Kevin,
    Really great last post, and very true. I study with Sifu Yip, and I would be more than happy to help. The school was moved twice in the last few years so I'm not surprised that your letters were returned, I'm sure he would have written you back. I'll find out if it's better to mail it to the school or at home to ensure that he gets it. If you would rather, you can e-mail me your note at dnavarria@bankofny.com and I will give it to him. I have met alot of nice people on this forum who have been very kind , so if I can help I would be more than happy.

Let me know

Thanks and Peace to all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

meltdawn Guest
    Awesome info coming out here!

LUNG YING:
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I still don't get the relationship of Yip to you. Is your sifu one of his students therefore Yip is your sigung? Or are two of Cho Sam's kung fu brothers visitors? Or does Yip have a kung fu brother whom also visits the school? How fortunate you are to have the benefit of two masters!

Just to clarify my lineage, Chow Fook is not my teacher. My teacher studied directly under several members of the Lam family. He is in the HK Dragon Sign AA and an Honorary Life President of the HKCMAA. He was also invited to be honor board director of Guanzhou Hua Lin Temples and was selected to be in the Chinese National Skills Roster, books 2 and 3.

BILLY:
    All you need to do is drive down and eat at his restaurant a few times a week for a year, never saying a word, LOL! Seriously, email me about yourself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

KEVIN:
    When you speak of Ma Gok Fai's video, would he be Ma Chai's son? If so, hee hee, I've already seen it!

FIRE HAWK Guest
    Hi here is 2 Lam Yui Kwai Dragon style websites they are in a Spanish or Latin American language http://directorio.trompo.com/categor..._y_Boxeo.phtml Scroll down to these words and click on them this should take you to these websites these are the words ESCUELA el Puno del Dragon Loong Chuan Wushu Centro de Formacion Nacional Internacional de Kung Fu Tradicional and also LOS ORIGENES DEL ESTILO DEL DRAGON if you scroll down you should find these word click on them and they should take you to the dragon websites.If this link does not work i will have to think of an other way for you to see them. FIRE HAWK

Lung Ying Guest

Hi Meltdown-

Yes, I study directly under Sifu Yip, who still teaches in Chinatown. The two Masters in our school were classmates of our Si Gong, Cho Sam. Sifu has been teaching a very long time (over thirty years) so he does have students of his teaching in their own schools around NY. Your Sifu has great credentials, if you don't mind me asking, what's his name? Is that the Hong Kong Dragon Athletic Association? It's great that you have an authentic teacher in Florida, I know Lung Ying is pretty rare style in North America.

FIREHAWK-
    Pretty cool website. There is alot of info on Lung Ying on the Dragon website directly off the first page, unfortunately I can't believe how bad my Spanish has become! When I went to Otros sitios I found a site called Estilo del Dragon and when I clicked it I found it was our Sifu's school here in NY!-pretty funny.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

billy_pilgrim Guest
    meltdawn,

I'd love to chat...what's your email?
    dpr3223@hotmail.com

meltdawn Guest
    Lum, Chi Ping.

Thanks, now I understand your school! Sorry, sometimes words confuse me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My teacher knows of one of your sigungs who lives in NY. What are their names? I think YOU are the lucky one. These guys must be pretty old by now. And they still teach? Awesome!

Billy, email coming your way.

For anyone interested, my email's meltdawn2@aol.com

FIRE HAWK Guest
    Hi would anybody on this board know anthing about a book called PHOENIX EYE FIST A SHOALIN FIGHTING ART OF SOUTH CHINA by authors CHEONG CHENG LEONG and DON F DRAEGER i posted this awhile back and a person named Kung Lek said that this was a hakka dragon style this style also goes by the name of CHUKA SHOALIN chuka would be a name for one of the southern mantis styles a guy on the Alma website told me that this book is southern mantis mixed with BOK MAI WHITE EYEBROW and EMEI kung fu does anybody know what this style might be.Also does anybody know of any LUNG YING DRAGON STYLE or BOK MAI WHITE EYEBROW SIFU s or teachers in the DAYTON OHIO AREA. FIRE HAWK

Jeffrey Guest
    I don't believe there are any Dragon Style sifus in Ohio.