Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: DRAGON STYLES

has anyone here heard of or do a form called white dragon pierces heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis9700 View Post
    I dont mean to hijack the thread but I wasnt sure where to ask. I was wondering if anyone here has trained with Master Lam/Lum on the west coast of florida?? What was your experience and opinion? I have practiced northern mantis for years and was thinking about cross training in another style. Thanx
    I've met him, been to visit his school in Sarasota once and met with his students in HK a few times. I'd go check it out, he's authentic! His student Andy Chung also teaches in Tampa if that's any closer.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Does anyone know of a Master who teaches Lung Ying in New York..besides GM Yip Wing Hong?

Someone mentioned his name before. I believe he teaches private lessons in a park(central park?).
    Chen Luk San. Columbia (or Columbus, sorry I forget) Park where all the kf guys gather.

Book

Anybody have this book:

Lung Ying Mork Kiu (Dragon Fist Rubbing Bridge) by Chow Fook

Recommended? I dont practice Southern Dragon but would like to learn more about it, even if just historical, etc.

Lymk

Lovely book by Master Chow Fook.

Mostly written in chinese but there is a short portion that is in english.

Can I ask why you are interested?? The form shown in this set is one that is oftern demo'd so you might get a feel for what is happening from watching others but the full movements are not completely obvious from just looking at the pictures. You certainly won't understand the methods of power generation in Lung Ying from just copying what is in the book.

FWIW

R

umm

Sorry re-reading your post I might add if it is history etc that you want you will probably find out as much from wikipedia or from looking at a few web pages as you would get from buying the book.

Still it is a nice little book for someone who already knows the set. Props to Sifu C.S. Tang for producing it.

Hope that helps.

R

Hey R,
    Thanks for the input. The main reason I wanted this book was just to familiarize myself with the style since there are basically NO other books out there on Southern Dragon. I like to have books on other gung fu styles than what I practice. The only place on the internet I found to buy the book is the authors website (Its currently unavailable on plumpub)

Thanks

familiarity

Well mate you best be off to YouTube and take a peek at what is on offer :' )

There are also some chinese sites about that show LY vids.

Honestly I don't think the book is worth your money if you don't understand what is being demonstrated. You might be ok if you train in another Hakka art or something similar but then again if you did I doubt you would be on here asking.

I would suggest that you take a look at the vids of Master Chen Luk San as a start.

R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPriM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPriM...eature=related

The author of the book in question...plum pub usually has it. Been out of stock for a few years at other carriers.
    By Peace or by Pieces.

You are a human being, not a human doing.
    J Bradshaw.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    Rumi

any clips of Master Chow Fook doing dragon? love the bak mei clips

Master CF LY

Don't think there are any about on the net. There are 2 clips of him doing Sup Baat Mor Kiu but they are truncated for demo purposes. The first is the one posted by Dr Rob.

Here is the second clip of SBMK in case you have not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLI6...eature=related

I understand that at this time he has a prosthetic leg so it seems pretty amazing that he can perform.

R

cheers always good to see good hakka stuff