Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sidekick

sidekick

Ok, in my life,I have been thaught 2 ways to do a sidekick.

Some say the supporting leg should be bent for more stability and other things...

Some say the supporting leg should be strait for more power...

Both seem to work well and give stability and strenght, I have been doing it the leg bent for one year then, I was told it had to be leg strait and did it for a year like that , and recently I have been told I should do it leg bent.

anyone knows whats the real way of doing it, or it doesnt really matter?

i've never seen any benefit to keeping the base leg straight, honestly.

speaking of confusing variations, i was taught one in which the base foot doesn't turn at all (so that the hips don't turn at all). that variation gave me fits. but it did lend itself to hand followups, which is precisely what that teacher had in mind.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

there was another side kick thread not too long ago - do a search. you may find something pertaining to this there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

thanks

range will determine which.

you can use either.

In Shaolin, the joints are never hyper extended, but they are quite straight.

The joint should always be ready to "spring" so locking it is often bad form.

use what is effective for you, not only in practice and demonstration, but in application.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I tend to agree with Kung, plus a few.

Range, whether you want power or speed, your position relative to your opponent, the flow of the fight, and how high you are kicking will determine how you do it. I tend to keep my supporting leg bent because most of my side kicks are low, fast snapping kicks. And Kenpo likes to keep a mobile but stable base.

thanks alot to all, Ill keep the knee bent,alway made a bit more sense to me.

To express power thru a side kick, or any other technique, one must be taught the proper use and how to of "Fa-Jing". The center of the Universe is the waist! "Fa" (Express, to put out) "Jing" (Energy Power). We have exercises to teach the whipping chain movement, and the use of pelvic, heel & shin. This takes a Teacher who knows of this, and time.

i have always had trouble understanding the side kick. i can do one against a heavybag, but i can never put it to use. i think its because i maintain a farely "frontal" stance.

10. Thumbs up

Keeping the supporting knee slightly bent should be good for many kicks.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

the straighter i had it the more i'd be worried that someone would break my leg.
    where's my beer?

12. Thumbs up

A good point you have there.
    Even a knee is pretty hard to snap if it is bent.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

kung lek,

what effect does a bent or straight supporting leg have on range? i'm not sure i'm picturing this properly.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

But would a kick without turning the suporting foot, not turning the hip at ALL even be considered a side-kick?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

The straight leg kick has a bit more range because , when bending the leg, you move the hips a little towards the back, so bent leg=less range

And for what Kristopher said, I think if you dont move the hips, its not a side kick.