Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: sidekick

the itf tkd side kick hits then lifts. I have a peference for the punch and drive straight side kick I learned from my Kung Fu sifu.

For me, it has more juice because the leg is parallel to the floor while the itf tkd kick raise the leg more and this takes more energy to do, for me at least.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Re: counterjoking about!!!

Originally posted by Stumblefist
    Hi Machimurasan!
    Let me be among the first to wish you a warm welcome to KFO and to thank you for such an insightful posting. I am sure i speak for many of us humble plodders in thanking you to help us understand our insignificance in the great kungfu reality.
    I hope you will continue to post and share with us your valuable contributions.
    HEH HEH

perhaps you are joking, it's great to have fun!
    but of course i am just joking too!
    ---------------------------------
    Awaiting Yushan with breathless anticipation. I'm so impatient!
    Will he squander the benefit of doubts or does he speak the true?!!!
    Joking about the welcome? Cool. No need to welcome one who has been here all along, hahaha!

As for insight. Which perspective, which eyes and armed with what knowledge? All joking aside I feel like I'm watching a "Gilligan's Island" rerun. How long did it take before novelty helped them get off that ****ed island? Exactly.

Sidekicks can be delivered in the traditional, schoolboy karate robotic fashion. They can be done with a skip, a turn, a jump, a step-through, or a spin. The supporting leg is usually bent (extended knee is dangerous), and the supporting foot can be turned 45o, adding hip torque in the delivery. They can be done as a thrust (yoko-geri kekomi in Japanese) or as a snap (yoko-geri keage). They are most effective on the legs, but kicks to the mid-section can be good, especially for kumite (slap-tag).

Whipping side kicks, that utilize speed and low-line targets like the knees and various PPs on the anterior, medial, lateral and posterior areas of the legs, are most realistic. Thrusts are usually a no-no unless you are within close range. Stomping kicks to the legs (esp. knees) better defines the "side thrust kick" I am speaking of. Originally "side kicks" were executed like front whip kicks with no knee-up chamber, the leg almost kicking your own arse just before you whipped it towards the target. The leg is rotated in the hip socket, adding torque to the whip. No need to turn your body with this kick. Also, it's fast out and faster back (if that's possible). Sacred secrets!!! Oh, there are no secrets though. Uh-huh...

Enuff for now. There's a little bit of knowledge about sidekicking. You should never even see it coming. No telegraphing by bringing the knee up to waist level, and shooting it out while slightly leaning backwards or however 98% of martial artists traditional or otherwise do it. Thrust kicks are asking for ground time. Ask any GJJ, Judo guy, Shuai Jiao dude or wrestler.

You probably know this stuff though being a Crane stylist. Glad to be here. You guys are funny!
    Last edited by Machimurasan; 12-21-2002 at 02:15 AM.
    Don't mistake my kindness for weakness...

while you come accross as conceited i can't disagree with you ... even though i'd like to just for spite.

perhaps im reading too much into your post, but if not i'd have to say that you're a bit of a pr ick to patronize people for gaining knowlege you already possess. some people do come here to learn something and this is one of the few threads in which that might actually be possible. with all the political threads and all the nonsense (posted by fu cks like me), it's refreshing to see a thread about technique no matter how simple it might be.

while i don't agree with every post in this thread, no one said anything retarded or made a statement that deserves ridicule. except maybe this one.
    where's my beer?

ridicule vs. rid-a-cure

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    while you come accross as conceited i can't disagree with you ... even though i'd like to just for spite.

perhaps im reading too much into your post, but if not i'd have to say that you're a bit of a pr ick to patronize people for gaining knowlege you already possess. some people do come here to learn something and this is one of the few threads in which that might actually be possible. with all the political threads and all the nonsense (posted by fu cks like me), it's refreshing to see a thread about technique no matter how simple it might be.

while i don't agree with every post in this thread, no one said anything retarded or made a statement that deserves ridicule. except maybe this one.
    First off, the reason for all the political banter on these forums is that people will always get mired in the perpetual web of deceit and division. It's structured like that for control purposes. In this way the power structure can rest assured that the focus is NOT on the problem (cause), but the result (effect). Wake up!!! Heeheehee!

Wow, a *****. A big one or little one? I wanna be a big one. Hahaha! You have every right to disagree with my approach. I couldn't care less if you disregarded the logical. That would not be something new in the world. I think you are "objectifying" me based on a very cursory and superficial analysis of my words. I may not sugar coat things, but if you don't concur with my points, I would rather it be based upon some refutation of my theories or experiences. Don't be so shallow as to allow appearances, words or ideology conflict with the truth. I can "butter-up" a lie and give it to you with careful decorum, but that wouldn't make THOSE words any more beneficial than mine.

There were many good points made in this thread. Most folks gave patented answers, but they were honest attempts based on their knowledge of MAs. Sorry to come off as a dic k. I was half-joking, and half-yawning at the time. If you want to learn MAs techs then go train with a reputable instructor, and evaluate what works for you. When it comes to MAs technique, know-how and theory, the truth is that the "have-nots" far outnumber the "haves". Luck and objectivity should play a small, not large, role in the MAs learning process. We should take everyone's words on these forums with a grain of salt. It's all just funtime!!

Train diligently and smart...

Maligayang Pasko!
    Don't mistake my kindness for weakness...