Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wing lam learned hung from a girl

wing lam learned hung from a girl

You guys can verify this if you want. DUring the very short time that wing lam was with Lum Jo's school he learned most of his Hung from his wife , who was at the school longer, now is his exwife, but he claims today to learn from lum jo but if you go ask lum jo's sons at the school they have the same questions we do, the son asked if wing lam learned his hung from yc wong, but wing denies it and keeps claiming to learn from lum jo heheh, wing's hung isnt' good anwyays, no hung expression and no foundation...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Yim Wing-Chun/Fong Wing-Chun was a girl, Fong Chin-yang was a girl, Mok Gwai-Lan was a girl, I would be proud to learn from any one of them, Ngoh Mei P'ai is handed down from Mother to Daughter. so...um, what's yer point?

I think the title is miss leadingly sexists.

I main issue was that there was potential fraud and misrepresentation.

But I have no idea what the truth is...

there is alot of fraud out there, not just this issue.

skill is skill nomatter where you learned it. lying is always stupid. plain and simple.

my point is that he is a liar and only cares about his wallet, which is why he refuses to admit that he learned from the girl, yc wong, wong jack man, and all of that stuff, no honor, and hey he teaches northern shaolin, hung gar, hsing i, pa kua, wing chun, tai chi now too,

It's ugly to talk bad of a person.

word returns

I find this statement particularly ironic since 1. Wing Lam is my Sifu and I administrate this forum and 2. One of Hung Gar's great female masters, Shui Ying, just passed away (see our Jan/Feb 2003 issue for an obituary.)

word trolled Wing Lam a long time ago but did it enough that many of my martial brothers remember him and relly wanted some retribution. Now I'm in the position to ban him, but I'm not going to at this time, since I firmly believe everyone here has the right to voice criticism, even if it is unfounded. This is sort of that old strategy of giving someone enough rope. So bring it on, word, bring it on.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Very well said Gene, and I have to commend you for taking the higher approach and simply ignoring a useless troll. Like the poem says, "if nothing is done, then all will be well". Ignorant people usually fade away when they are ignored for long enough. By the way, Wing Lam is my kwoon's SiGung and although I have not had the honor of meeting him or seeing him in action, if my Sifu and SiHing's knowledge and skill is any reflection of his teachings, I would definitely say that this troll's comments are totally unfounded.
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

:p

Is his Kung Fu Good?
    Is wot he Teaches Good?

If so... who gives a *hit if he learnt from man, woman or martian ... Lam Jo or Lam Jo's gardiner ...

Tell me more about Hung Gar Kung Fu ...

1. Respect others no matter what art they practice.
    2. Never condemn anyone.
    3. Every art has something good.

BearBear

Post Whatever

I'm with Gene. I ignore him because he has no basis for his statements.

Wing Lam is my sifu and his reputation stands long and strong so word requires no response.

I am concerned,however, that many of the new folks may believe his rantings and cast a shadow on his reputation.

First, he says ask his sons. Have you asked them? I admit that I haven't but why should I? I've visited Si-Gung Lum Jo and seen the registration picture from the records he keeps. Kinda of stupid to ask if he studied there. Si-Gung recognizes him. Lam Chun Fai came and visited Lam Kwoon and calls him a peer.

For YC Wong, it is true that when sifu first came to the US he searched out his kung fu elder brother YC Wong and they trained together. But if you claim his time with Si-Gung was short, then his time with YC was even shorter. Fact is, he was not living in Chinatown and it was easier for him to train near his work. That's how he eventually got into teaching.

Sifu has been very open about his instructors. No Fraud or misrepresentation.

Bottom line, his Kung Fu is good. Many have learned and benefitted from his 35 years of contribution to the MA community.

I've never understood word's unfounded hatred towards Sifu. I won't even try to convince him otherwise. For all the others, you can decide for yourself.

Oh, and before word rehashes the tired mantra that Sifu made up Ha Say Fu Hung Gar, buy the iron palm book. You'll see the pictures of Sifu Training with Leung Wah Chew.

:P

wow 2 posts were made while i was typing this..

geneching sums it up well :P

Gene- Sifu Wing Lam is too big a figure to be affected by trolling.
    Anonymity and hiding behind a key board brings out all kinds of trolling. I wouldnt give it a second thought- I know it rankles-
    understandable.

But regarding "I firmly believe everyone here has the right to voice criticism, ".....

any chance of unbanning Whipping Hand and issuing an invitation to return? Lots ot worse stuff on the forum than WH's posts.

I recently had the honour of training with Sifu Wing Lam in the UK.

All I can say that if it was a woman who taught Wing Lam then she must have been amazing and it would be a privelige to train under her. Sifu Lam's kung fu is fantastic.

I am only interested in advancing my own kung fu - not denigrating others.
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Actually I welcome the criticism...

...intelligent criticism is always appreciated. And Wing Lam is human, just like any other master, so he possesses human flaws like the rest of us. So I challenge word to voice an intelligent criticism. You can search the archives on his prior comments - as hasayfu mentions, they are all pretty weak.

It reminds me of a person (who will remain unnamed) that I used to compete against regularly. We faced off several times in forms and even once in sparring, and I had this guy's number. I could slam him at will. At that time, his skill was no where near mine. I tried to be nice about it, but he took it real personal like, and constantly said bad things about me. I took it in stride becuase when it came right down to it, I bested him. I won. Anything he wanted to say was just sour grapes. Same goes for word. I don't see his students/books/videos/store/etc.

So word, bring it on. Let's see what you got, boy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart