Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: wing lam learned hung from a girl

Originally posted by word
    [B]SUBTAI

If someone told you that your shaolin looks just like your hung then thta's a negative comment, because why is each style branced out in a different STYLE anywyas/ because they all have their own distinct flavor]
    That's a silly comment because Hung Gar is Shaolin. I know not all gong-fu styles are actually Shaolin but Hung gar is about as close to southern shaolin as your going to get.

Now if you mean your northern Shaolin looks just like your Hung gar, that's another story.

omar, that's what i meant, his hung looks like northern shaolin.

Word...in one word...NONSENSE!

GHD

deleting this thread...

When word first started posting here again, it was ironic to me. He trolled Wing Lam way back in the archives and got several of my martial brothers quite upset. That was before www.KungfuMagazine.com inherited this forum. So naturally, when he popped up again, they got upset again, and have contacted me about this.

Perhaps my perspective has changed after administering this forum so long, but I'm doubtful that I'll delete this thread. Sure, Wing Lam is my sifu, and I will fight to defend him. But at this point, word has yet to put together a significant argument worth defending AND everyone else on this thread supports my sifu. So in a way, it's a great endorsement. To me, it's kind of like if some sparring partner started talking smack but he was someone you could easliy defeat. You wouldn't kick him out of your school necessarily. You just keep beating him. It's fun and proves your point.

As for the crossfertilization of styles, I'll be the first to cop to that. Wing Lam's Hung Gar influences his Shaolin, his Tai Chi, etc. Of course it does. Just like a classically trained jazz guitarist might have influence from his prior training, he can still make music. Every martial artist should examine every other style and, to qoute Lee, "absorb what is useful." Purity is for petri dishes.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

oh well, it doesnt matter, making music or not, i give up. but i know there are those few people on here reading this that agree with me but choose not to come out and say it because it's of poor taste, thtas' why i keep my identity hidden . blah blah if you guys dont understand, then i dont konw, maybe you will some day, hopefully for the sake of kung fu.

It's fun and it proves your point...

This is kind of like someone who claims their technique is better and their technique is to strike your fist with their face. Please don't give up, dear word. You can continue to slam your face against my fist as long as you desire.

Let's look at your last statement:
    but i know there are those few people on here reading this that agree with me but choose not to come out and say it because it's of poor taste, thtas' why i keep my identity hidden .
    The part that I really enjoy is "poor taste." You're admitting your actions are in poor taste. That just slays me. Then you go on to say that this is why you are hidding your identity? Too much! My fist is getting sore from smashing your face. This is
    for the sake of kung fu

word, you're a gem. You do for Wing Lam critics what Quayle did for elected officials. Wing Lam needs more like you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gene i'm glad you're enjoyin it , no point in bringing up other stuff cause you guys dont even get what i'm saying in the the first place, wing lam's fighting applicaitons are horrible and his weapon applicaitons are even worse, not to mention he cannot fight, i heard once that he was teaching wc, and then one of his wc studetns went somehwere else to learn for liek 6 months and came back and had wing on the wall. , in the end he's empty. but oh well, no more of this post.

OMG!

Wow! I can't belive that word has returned to the forums! Of course, if you want real "old school" trolling from word, you have to look back even more, to when he would troll on the Wing Chun forum back before he even started trolling about Wing Lam. That must have been almost 3 years ago! And he's still trolling! Astounding!!!!!
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

yeah word's a classic, ain't he?

Now I'm just baiting him to see how many times he'll say,
    i give up.
    no point in bringing up other stuff cause you guys dont even get what i'm saying in the the first place
    &
    but oh well, no more of this post.
    It's boxed him in a corner since now everytime he posts, he sticks his foot in his mouth by invalidating his previous posts. He's great fun for me, esepcially since he's coming after my sifu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

a sifu's skill in transmission is not only how he does this with his martial skills but also how he teaches his students to conduct themselves.

when to speak, when to be quiet, when to fight and when to laugh.

reading this thead it is clear lam kwok wing does this well, it is not enough to look at a sifu, family is larger than this.

for what it is worth, to those students who are lam sifus' you have much to be proud off

take care

Talking Sorry to keep this going

Thanks for the kind words Bean Curd.

Si-Hing Gene,

Your forum-fu is BERY good. No can defend.

I wasn't going to post to this anymore but I couldn't resist the props. Everyone can go back to ignoring this thread....

hasayfu

Told ya so.

I love saying that to my little brothers....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up Influence

Dear Gene:
    I have rescued a great post from this thread. Of course, word didn't write it jajaja, you did.
    You said that every sifu that has studied several styles gets influenced in all his actions by the different styles he performs.
    Quite a real thing!! completely agreement here.
    Let's take Su Yu Chang. All his mantis movements look like Ba Ji, not because they are wrong, but because he has the Ba Ji power in the mantis movements. I dont see anything wrong here. Even Beishaolin might have been in some time, a mixture of different skills from someone who mastered other systems.
    My sifu Chan Kowk Wai (sorry I will say Kowk as he writes kowk ;-) knows shaolin , pa kwa, tai chi, hsing yi...obviously his skills he has got from that training are in everything he does.
    So what some say about Kwong Wing Lam (with the intention to discredit him) is something that happens all the time, and is perfectly normal!
    I have always thought that Kwong Wing Lam's strongest skills are the Hung Gar skills. I am not an expert in the subject but I have trained Hung Gar some years, and I have always got shocked by his Dragon Shape form, for example. And your performance of Ha say Fu in Jinan (I ve seen the video tape) is something excellent and has to come from a qualified teacher indeed.
    So DEAR WORD you can say anything you want from your annonimous personality, it is quite an easy thing to talk as you do, specially when the "target" of your comfortable virtual battle is someone who is completely exposed because has devoted his life to the nice job of spreading his arts.
    Take care
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo
    Asociacion Kai Men Kung Fu -Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Formal Student of GM Chan Kowk Wai
    http://www.kaimen.com.ar

I can agree with a little transference across styles in a sifu or student, but not to the extent that the southern becomes northern and vice versa. As having seen Lam sifu's tapes, IMHO (finally know what this acronym means now) there is a most distinct flavour separating Lam sifu's northern and southern sil lum (shaolin).

GHD

Cross training is always good

Undoubtalby there is a point where all of the cross training breaks off into something new entirely - JKD or BJJ, even Aikido is a fairly young style. I don't think Sifu Lam has reached that level. His northern and southern are still distinct, but I won't deny you can see influences. As long as those influences are positive, I don't see a problem.

You got to keep in mind, I'm here in CA where mixing flavors has created its own style, CA cuisine, and it's yummy.

This brings us back to the initial point of this thread. If memory serves, it was Sui Ying (a woman) who introduced Butterfly Palm (a northern set) into the Hung Gar curriculam. She was the one who passed away recently, that I mentioned earlier in the thread. I was told she introduced it to bring some northern tactics that she felt Hung Gar lacked. Now for many, it is an important introductory set for many Hung Gar practitioners, but it definatley retains a northern flavor, and rightly so. Now, is that southern or nothern?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips