Thread: when you were sold

when you were sold

I am curious to what experiences others have had taht made them choose WC. I myself decided to learn after watching a couple of coworkers demonstrating some moves. was your experience as corny as mine?

cornier maybe

my friend had been takeing WC for about two months, driveing to the other side of town 3 times a week (each way a full hours drive with no traffic) He tried to get several people to go and see this "kung fu" stuff so I finaly went.

My jaw dropped. I'd seen MA classes before, and did a bit (months) of TKD when I was much younger, but this was diiferent, it was kung fu! and everyone was doing it! some people were better than other of course, but no one was standing around, or in a line throwing punchs.

that was three and a half years ago.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

What sold me?

I had studied various styles of martial arts for about 14-15 years when I ran into Wing Chun or kung fu for that matter. Then I met a guy and we began talking about martial arts. He and I would train on the weekends, sharing our ideas, techniques and thoughts on martial arts. He began showing me Wing Chun movements and how they worked, but never showed me the forms. This went on for a long time, and I continued to train the movements even after he and I lost track of each other. Though, I must admit, I actually had no real concept of Wing Chun what-so-ever, I was merely micking the moves. But, I loved what I had learned and wanted more. Finally one day I went thumbing through the phone book and found a Wing Chun school. I called them up, got a free lesson and joined immediately. The ironic thing was my friend Hing who I had trained with initially, ended up being a student at this very same school.

Hope this wasn't too boring......lol

I tried the class for a summer just to get a very small taste of it. I liked what I tasted.

kung fu books

Talking bruce lee

I knew nothing about wing chun, all i knew is that it was bruce lee's original art. for my first few classes untill i knew what i wasw doing a little bit i was throwing high kick and doing the stuff i saw in the movies. lol. (i was 13 at the time). thats what made me stick with it untill i appriciated wing chun for itself. what got me hooked i think was the sparring and the way the techniques flowed and all worked togethers.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

Re: when you were sold

Originally posted by 45degree fist
    I am curious to what experiences others have had taht made them choose WC. I myself decided to learn after watching a couple of coworkers demonstrating some moves. was your experience as corny as mine?
    Was trying to figure out how to stop getting my ass kicked in the Karate school. Concluded there were serious flaws in my training and lots of holes. Did much reading and searching during which, Bruce became prominent. Looked back to his roots and found WCK. After some reasearch into WCK I visited a prominent master and was 'sold.' Also found that after each session of training I was even more sold.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I had always been interested in martial arts, almost took karate/tkd, but never did. Then one boring summer day I was watching some movie that made me want to be a ninja. So I started looking up ninja stuff online and also found kung fu stuff. I thought "Whoa! Kung Fu, I never even thought of that!" So for about 3 months I watched tons of movies and read lots of material on kung fu. Then one day, I was looking in the phone book for something, when I thought about looking to see if there was some kind of kung fu school around (I figured there wouldn't be) and there it was! I checked it out and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were all these people right in front of me learning kung fu! I then decided that wing chun was my style of choice, and I still can't get enough of it.
    "Why do something today, when you could put it off until tomorrow? Because if you do it today, and die tomorrow, you've done something for nothing."

When I first heard the song "Kung Fu Fighting"...
    those China men moved like lightning

...... it was indeed frightening.....<g>

joy chaudhuri

Everybody was kungfu fighting (HUUH!) (WHOO-HA!)
    Those cats were fast as lighting (HAAA!) (WHOO-CHOP!)
    And though it was a little bit frightening (HUUH!) (HOO-HOO!)
    But they fought with expert timing. (HAA!)

Sounds About Right. :D

Originally posted by yuanfen
    Everybody was kungfu fighting (HUUH!) (WHOO-HA!)
    Those cats were fast as lighting (HAAA!) (WHOO-CHOP!)
    And though it was a little bit frightening (HUUH!) (HOO-HOO!)
    But they fought with expert timing. (HAA!)
    Yuanfen,

You're scaring me. Huuh! Can you make the Bruce Lee catcall sound?

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Grendel asks:Yuanfen,

-----------------------------------------------------
    Yes!!!!
    With a sanskrit accent yes and adding a roaring rrrrr.
    joy chaudhuri

Originally posted by yuanfen
    Grendel asks:Yuanfen,

-----------------------------------------------------
    Yes!!!!
    With a sanskrit accent yes and adding a roaring rrrrr.
    joy chaudhuri
    When I show up on your doorstep, will you teach it to me?
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Well I was interested in taking Kung Fu in general, and found some schools in my *immediate* area. I found 2 Wing Tsun/Chun, 2 Mantis (7* and 8 step), and a Hung Gar. I was debating which one to take, and after trying the Wing Tsun class I figured I'd take it. I checked out the Hung Gar school and didn't like what I saw. The main reason why I chose Wing Tsun was it looked more street practical and easier to learn. I didn't want to spend 3 years in Hung Gar or Mantis to get as good as a Wing Tsun could in 1 year (not dissing other styles, I still would love to take Hung Gar and Mantis).
    I have a signature.

Grendel asks:When I show up on your doorstep, will you teach it to me?
    ---------------------------------------------
    I surely will- but you have to practice first-

Everybody was kungfu fighting (GRRRR) (WHOO-HA!)
    Those cats were fast as lighting (GRRA) (WHOO-CHOP!)
    And though it was a little bit frightening (GRRR!) (HOO-HOO!)
    But they fought with expert timing. (GRRA!)

Everything I had read or seen pointed to Wing Chun being one of the best martial arts. I went to a formal class and found out what I had suspected was true and as they say the rest is history
    Last edited by Ng Mui; 12-15-2002 at 12:57 PM.