Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu Squats - who here has made it to 500?

Hindu Squats - who here has made it to 500?

Hey I've got a new favorite exercise. I'm currently doing about 100 a day (on a good day), hope to pump it up to 500 within a year. It's working my knees, but I think in a postive way.

So do you guys relax the calf muscles, or keep the ankles locked? I've been doing more locked, but I thing I've figured out that you're actually supposed to keep them relaxed.

www.mattfurey.com/exercises.html

I've never tried for 500. I'll try it tonight.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I do them with my Qi.

While watching TV.

And drinking beer.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

1. that's WAY too time consuming, and I'm not that patient.
    2. my back started hurting

I just got done. like I said, I'm not patient. I did 200 and stopped. my legs don't feel tired at all though, and now that I am sitting down, my back feels fine. I bet I can do at least 400, if not the whole 500. I'll have to work my patience and try for the whole thing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I used to do 500 and more rather often. Sevenstar is right though in that it gets boring. Sometimes I'd do them in front of the tv, but that gave me motion sickness. After you can do a base amount of say 200 or so, 500 is more of mental challenge than a physical one.

I used to do 500. 26-27 years ago.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

whoa, guohen is like, ancient!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

nah. guohuen was just doing hindu squats at the age of 3.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Seven* - I'll take that as a no. Thanks for trying, though.

You're supposed to be able to do 500 in 15 minutes - it shouldn't be that boring. And if your back was stressed, as mine is, I take that to mean that you don't have the muscular endurance in your back to complete the 500, that and your form probably needs improving. Sorry to be a hard-ass. I'm sure if you worked at it for a month, you'd get there. You certainly have leg strength in abundance, but there's more to it than that.

Ford - you said you f'd up your knee doing Hindu Squats due to bad form - what exactly were you doing wrong?

I crapped out at 80 this morning.

I think he meant that he's done 500 in 26-27 years. He paces himself.

i'm curious as to folks opinions about the knee going so far forward. for all leg exercises i've done, i've been told to keep my knee over my ankle and that letting it go forward of the ankle is a bad thing to do.

your folks' thoughts?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

hey Rub,

I've said it on here before, but you need to be careful doing hindu's. Not everybody is made to do them and the knee isn't a joint to mess with. The reason why I no longer do my hundu's is because I seriously strained a ligament in my knee one day doing them. I had done thousands upon thousands for months up to that point, then I must have just leaned weird because I was instantly floored.

The injury has caused me some serious inconvenience and sidelined me from training for fitness and martial arts for quite some time. I can't do any squatting without a brace and I've completely given up on hindu's because it's just asking for trouble now. A few times, it felt as if I was 100% again and a set of hindu's later I'm out for another month... I still think they have a bunch of benefits. Just be careful guys.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    i'm curious as to folks opinions about the knee going so far forward. for all leg exercises i've done, i've been told to keep my knee over my ankle and that letting it go forward of the ankle is a bad thing to do.

your folks' thoughts?
    I had thought about that too.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Seven* - I'll take that as a no. Thanks for trying, though.

You're supposed to be able to do 500 in 15 minutes - it shouldn't be that boring. And if your back was stressed, as mine is, I take that to mean that you don't have the muscular endurance in your back to complete the 500, that and your form probably needs improving. Sorry to be a hard-ass. I'm sure if you worked at it for a month, you'd get there. You certainly have leg strength in abundance, but there's more to it than that.

nah, it's due to a bad lower back. I used to frequent a chiro because of it, which worked wonders. 500 in fifteen minutes? It seems like the 200 took that long.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

.......499......500 Twenty seven years, not bad.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish