Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Attn: Eulerfan

OT Attn: Eulerfan

I heard you were into physics? By your screen name maybe mathematics as well?

If so how is your understanding of particle physics and may I ask you a couple of questions on a concept I am having?

I am in math. I tutor physics. Trigonometry based Newtonian Mechanics. I have taken one class in Modern Physics. That had a few chapters on quantum mechanics. So, you know, I've solved the particle in the box and banged my head up against the Schrodinger equation. But I wouldn't call myself well versed.

Tell me what you're wondering about and I can think out loud. But it's going to be the musings of a mathematician.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Somewhere, on a forum devoted to high level physics, someone is asking someone else how to throw a proper sidekick.

LOL@ Fatherdog, sorry, this came up on a thread here yesterday and I am reading a book currently that has me pondering.

Here is my problem, while all the numbers and the math is great and all, I am trying to figure out just how atoms share electrons. I understand the theory behind it and I understand the math I think, but whta I dont get is how the electrons are actually interacting with each other. Does the shared electron choose to orbit Both nuclei similar to the P electron shell on an atom, a sort of barbell shape with each nuclei at one end? Is it more of a conceptual thing, meaning that the electrons are bonded but the electron doesn't necessarily go between the shells?
    My other question would be, if atoms form Molecules, is the idea of a "molecule" just a conceptual one as well? Obviously molecules are bundles of atoms but if you have ever seen "pictures" of atoms you see the nucleonic waves and you see dimples where there are missing atoms, but where did the molecules go?! The pictures I have seen are all of certain materials and I have never seen it stated that it is a picture of a molecule
    Am I making any sense here?

You need to get out more.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by red5angel
    LOL@ Fatherdog, sorry, this came up on a thread here yesterday and I am reading a book currently that has me pondering.

Here is my problem, while all the numbers and the math is great and all, I am trying to figure out just how atoms share electrons. I understand the theory behind it and I understand the math I think, but whta I dont get is how the electrons are actually interacting with each other. Does the shared electron choose to orbit Both nuclei similar to the P electron shell on an atom, a sort of barbell shape with each nuclei at one end? Is it more of a conceptual thing, meaning that the electrons are bonded but the electron doesn't necessarily go between the shells?
    My other question would be, if atoms form Molecules, is the idea of a "molecule" just a conceptual one as well? Obviously molecules are bundles of atoms but if you have ever seen "pictures" of atoms you see the nucleonic waves and you see dimples where there are missing atoms, but where did the molecules go?! The pictures I have seen are all of certain materials and I have never seen it stated that it is a picture of a molecule
    Am I making any sense here?
    I can't really figure out what you mean by the second question.

Your first question I think I understand. Don't take my word on this. I'm only attempting to answer because I think it will help clarify the question, if that makes sense to you. First, the shapes of the shells are conceptual. I don't think the electrons orbit in those paths. Those paths are spherical horses, as it were. In fact, I think the actual path of the P shell is really complex. They certainly don't stay in a plane. Shells affect each other and are affected by spin allingments of the electrons.

When atoms share electrons, those electrons orbit both nuclei. If the attraction of one nuclei is stronger, the electron will spend more time orbiting that nuclei.

An electron can only orbit a nuclei at a specific energy level. It jumps from one energy level to another, emitting or absorbing a 'quanta' of energy. There's no gradient. They don't even travel in between. They are at one level, then at another. That's what a "shell" is. So, in a covalent bond, it's not really going between shells. It's in both shells at the same time.

Now, I am neither a chemist nor a physicist. This is just what I remember from those classes. I hope this was some modicum of help.
    Last edited by eulerfan; 12-12-2002 at 07:41 PM.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Red face Hi Im Red5Angel

I havent had sex in a long time cause i spend all my time on my ass at this computer....and now that i found out that there is a woman on the forum i am going to try and score by asking her an off topic question......i tried the same line with Wushuchik but found out real quick that shes not having any.....so now i am going to prey on this screenname and maybe i will SCORE.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Thumbs up

good luck, i think u will need it

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

i would answer those quesitons, if i wasn't so stoned
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Isn't the 'shells' model of the atom just a simplification to help explain atomic structure? I thought that it was more like an electron cloud than a series of levels of electrons?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thumbs up

and i'm sitting here with a half shaven head. i need to shave the rest of the fuzz off my melon. then shower. then bed. i'll reply tomorrow if no one else has

makes a good OT thread though, better than the usual
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Re: Hi Im Red5Angel

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    I havent had sex in a long time cause i spend all my time on my ass at this computer....and now that i found out that there is a woman on the forum i am going to try and score by asking her an off topic question......i tried the same line with Wushuchik but found out real quick that shes not having any.....so now i am going to prey on this screenname and maybe i will SCORE.
    a) He is nowher near me.

b) I like the attention so BACK OFF!

Thumbs up

u go

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

but wont you make

CSN jealous, by consorting? Yup just like a woman,,,bein a playa.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Ok...everyone here who has recently (or is it will soon?) travel/travelled to Canada to hang out with a girl they met online please raise your hand?

*Looks at TWS*

Anyone?

*Looks at TWS*

ANYone?

Keep it simple, stupid.