Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A message to the world from the USA

I thought the link smacked of armchair liberalism. "We're AMERICANS, we're supposed to be the GOOD GUYS"

It's like they are promoting the same thing they are attacking. There are no "good guys," in an absolute sense, and our fellow "americans" includes paraguayans and sasketchewanese.
    Yes, the soldiers of the USA stepped in and saved the day during WWI and WWII, for Europe. But has the USA "saved" Asia, Africa, most of the world? I think not. Modernization has affected these countries greatly but the USA's involvement has no particular human morality attached to it, and if it did it would be a wash as to whether it was "good or bad". These armchair liberals are watching too many John Wayne movies and have seen "Star Wars" about 100 times. The link demonstrated pure propoganda.

I think "patrotism" is overblown and not actually beneficial to the world population, except in the sense of having a "side" to root for like it's some kind of sporting event. The real purpose of patriotism is internal to a country, and it is so that people will accept government more willingly. There is no real moral value one way or the other attached to it.

But don't listen to me, I'm just a computer program...

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    Ask yourself, where would the USA be if it shut itself off from the rest of the World?
    The city of Oceanside, CA and the Marines at Camp Pendleton have a sort of simbiotic relationship. Oceanside depends on a large percentage of the military pay being spent there. The Marines need an outlet, something not military, a contact point with the 'real world'. But every once in a while the good citizens of Oceanside complain a little too much about the trouble caused by some of the Marines, blaming the Corps in general and demanding something be done. So, every once in a while, the base CG will restrict liberty. Allways, before the next payday, the same good citizens are demanding that these rowdy, crude, evil jarheads be allowed to return to Oceanside despite their problems.

Where were we? Life wasn't nearly as much fun, and more than one club got trashed as some frustrations found an outlet in booze and brawls. But we were a lot better off than people looking at loosing businesses and jobs. Cops were actually ticketing them instead of us. And contact was cut off not just with the a-holes, who turned out to be the minority, but with the decent jar heads as well. The ones who volunteer, or who just help friends and even strangers, or are involved in community activities.

So, I say, let's try it. Stop all aid to anyone that condemns us. Don't help those who don't ally with us. Stop all military intervention where our interests aren't directly effected. And where they are effected, like with oil producing nations, make sure our aid has not just strings but tightly bound ropes. Want us to protect ypu from Sadam? We want discount oil, permanent bases, and the fullest cooperation in the War on Terror is a requirement. Free trade- stop trading with those countries who subsidize their industries with the purpose of undercutting ours within our own borders.

Let's see who breaks first. How long before you change your name from laughing cow to recalcitrant cow, or even begging cow.

Every government acts in its own interests and in most cases those interests involve money. I have no idea why the US is always singled out here.

The singling out has more to do with hypocrisy.

We in the US have from day one had this idea that we were to be the "City on the hill" - a shining example to the world of how everything should be done.

We have carried that over into crowing rather loudly about it. We speak loudly about human rights..but then have our CIA overthrow a South American regime or two because they are about to do land and economic reform that will endanger the US National Fruit Co. ...and put into power folks like Pinochet, Noriega, etc....

We talk about weapons of mass destruction...yet we hold more of them than all of the other countries in the world combined.

We talk about international cooperation and law...until the UN wants us to live up to our own words.

We hate it when anyone tries to tell us what to do, how to do it, or if any foreign government sticks their noses into our business (the China money scandal of recent years is a good example) yet we do covert and overt operations that do much worse to other countries.

As a person, you either get labeled as a BS hypocrite, stop talking the trash, or learn to walk the talk.

As a country, we are having the same thing done to us...and the louder you talk, the stronger the criticism will be.

dnc101 - I agree. I think people all over the world would be shocked to see what happens if we withdrew any activity in the rest of the world.
    Unfortunately every country needs the rest of the world to survive, we wouldn't be a world power without the rest of the world regardless of how self reliant we like to thnk we are. We might be able to do a better job of surviving then some places but it would get bad hear too, and I think Americans would be shocked just as much.

Angry

I'm not really paying attention to this argument but it occurs to me (has done many times) that nobody ever mentions that this single superpower global policeman scenario was written into Revelations :-)

A step closer to the end of the world... and you're proud?

Without it, we'd be a step further away from said end of world. Why should we collect everything into one basket so we all live or die by the fetish of one lunatic (DUBYA ffs!). What kind of prospect is there if any avaricous **** can get into the wank seat?

Everyone thinks about issues but forgets the principles. It takes different strokes to rule the world...

-David

David, if I am understanding you right then your argument is inherently flawed. If you believe that what it says in revelations is God's word (and keep in mind I do not, I hold no religious beliefs), then it is inevitable and this is exactly what should be happening yes?

Actually, Revelations says something about a two-headed dragon, or two horned dragon - which some take to mean the US and Great Britain...

Anyway, the title of this thread should be "A message from armchair liberals in the USA to the rest of the world"

fa_jing, yeah from what I understand, but of course it could literally mean a two headed dragon too, the book is old so who knows.

the interpretation that rings the most true to me is that all of the descriptions of these beasts are referring to cruel regional rulers of the era, but hey, remember I'm just a opinionated computer program

Wink Two Things to Ponder

1) Richard Libertini http://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud...last=Libertini

2) Illuminati

Edit one more things 3) Bildebergers
    http://www.stuartwilde.com/SW_articles_NWO_collapse.htm
    Last edited by firepalm; 12-13-2002 at 02:18 PM.

Oh man, this thread still at it.

llaughing cow
    "The USA needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world needs the USA.
    That is a fact, accept it."

Rest of the world?
    Yep thats exactly what it would take.
    The REST Of The World Against Us.

Deforestization of Viet Nam
    Yeah, we messed up, but we learned never to use chemical weapons again.
    I know I know your country would have known better back then if it were a super power.

The UN is still trucking in aid relief to the afganies (I don't know who told you otherwise)

"Defractmenting mine bombs that are identical in color"
    Once we found out we changed it of corse
    At least we don't set up mines that look like childrens toys(USSR)

Reasons: communist and dictatorship aggression:

North Viet Nams communist agression into south Viet Nam (but we could have done this a better way I believe)
    communist north Korea into south Korea
    Dictatorship iraq into kuwate and 1 city in saudi arabia.

If a communist agresser invaded your country we would most likely help you to, even if you did talk smack about us.

we make mistakes and try to learn from them.You however have the golden opportunity to learn from ours also. Because who else has the balls and sticks their necks out for freedom as we do.

MAN, I'm getting really tired of this.
    Lets talk about Kung Fu.

I won't diss your country,and you don't diss mine.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

'Communist aggressors'??

'Communist aggressors'

sorry I wont comment on the rest of the thread as I need to read back and catch up

I dont think its fair to label anyone communist aggressors, as I do not feel anyone on the planet has succeeded in implementing true communism (barring, to a certain extent- castro)
    All we have seen in the past century is dictator interpretations of communism, which in principle missed the point completely.
    maoism, stalinism....etc

Just something I wanted to point out, that communism cannot be judged in this way as it has never really worked (or has not been given a chance to) and has never truly been witnessed.

Sorry if I'm ranting, if you didnt mean it in that way, but just to generalise it.

soul
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Originally posted by logic
    You however have the golden opportunity to learn from ours also.
    Agreed,

Because who else has the balls and sticks their necks out for freedom as we do.
    Make that YOUR idea of what freedom should be and I can agree.
    Problem is that the USA and many of it's citizens think that they got the asnwer to all problems.

US solutions will not work for many areas like the middle-east.

Muslims got their own religion and way of handling things, forcing freedom and democracy on them is not the solution.
    Neither is trying to judge them according to YOUR values and beliefs.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

Ask yourself this. Where would MY country be if the U.S. dropped all humanitarian aid, left the U.N., closed the borders and became completely isolationist?
    My country,Germany, would rule the world
    Karate kicks ass!!!