• 4-5

8 28.57%
  • 6+

13 46.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: training your fists

Re: Re: Can You Tell What is Wing Chun?

Originally posted by YungChun

Easy there big guy! No one is/was touting this as good Wing Chun except perhaps the people who made the clip. Moreover I don't think anyone here is saying that you need to be able to punch a dozen times per second to have good kung-fu, and on and on.

Like I said: That clip always cracks me up.
    Well, the expressions on the two opponents' faces were certainly funny.

Don't overlook my other comments, although I think this thread is wrong-headed. I don't think you can separate "training your fists" proper from doing Wing Chun if one is going about it correctly.

I still enjoy your sig.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    YungChun, are you by chance a member of that school? I train under one of the 3 instructors mentioned on the website you posted (dallaswingtsun.com) and just was curious if you did too.
    Nope. Different lineage.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Re: Re: Re: Can You Tell What is Wing Chun?

Originally posted by Grendel

Well, the expressions on the two opponents' faces were certainly funny.
    Yes they are indeed.

Don't overlook my other comments, although I think this thread is wrong-headed. I don't think you can separate "training your fists" proper from doing Wing Chun if one is going about it correctly.
    I think I understand what your saying. To much importance on the superficial?

I am largely a tradionalist, but I do believe, and have been taught that most any/all elements in the system may be isolated and trained. Some of the best people I know have taken the whole system apart (their words) worked on each piece and put it all back together again. I think working Chain Punches is good so long one understands the context of the component(s).

I still enjoy your sig.
    Thanks! I just caught some flack for it a little while back in the main forum.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I can punch at least 6 times in a second - straight punches, change them to hammer fists, and Im sure I can do more. With 2 sticks, I am almost upto 12 strikes in 1 second, with a goal of 18 (1 set). Anyone can, its easy, but it has very little to do with fighting.

How about elbows?!
    strike!

It's no biggie. I was measured at an average of 8/sec over 5 secs to various heights of target (sectioned wall bag) after 2 years of training (haven't measured them since). Dunno how strong they were but they felt OK.

We were only measuring them out of interest... don't really see any relevance to good kungfu, unless you can get the power too. So I'd agree with Yung Chun and Grendel.

As for my elbows... man, I can knit a jumper with them in five minutes!

As for training punches specifically, I think Anerlich's hit it on the nail, but try not to concentrate overmuch on just punching, it's inseparable from the rest of your wing chun.

Yung Chun: what flak did you get?!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 12-14-2002 at 03:32 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan