Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does wong shun leung wc use...

Hi Jim,

Jim Roselando wrote:

The Foo Ngon is part of WC. JR

I agree. And by WC, I mean the kuen faat, not some particular lineage (one person's approach to teaching the art). TN

While a lot of people may not find much use for the Foo Ngon that does not mean the founders didn't! If it was there then it was there for a reason. JR

Good point. And so it behooves each of us to find that reason. TN

Terence

Jim- the phoenix eye is alive and well...rumours of its passing are greatly exaggerated.But gain, but the fist and the delivery are
    inter-related. Most beginners will be foolish to try it. Fundamentals first. The exotic later. Without the first-the rest doesnt work.

The phoenix eye fist is used for pressure points. It puts all the power and energy of your punch in one point, while a fist would spread the power /impact among 3 knuckles.

If you use the phoenix eye fist for other areas such as the forhead, you will break your finger. It's only used for soft pressure point spots which is why you see southern mantis and other southern styles use them.

cha kuen:

If you use the phoenix eye fist for other areas such as the forhead, you will break your finger.
    -----------------------------------
    aint necessarily so- depends on level of development.
    joy

Originally posted by S.Teebas
    While we are on the topic of the Phoenix Eye fist I have a question.

Why does almost all WC advocate the force from a punch travels through the bottom three knuckles....if the Phoenix Eyes shape is different in only the top knuckle? i.e., if no force is USUALLY or in theory anyway, supposed to travel through that knuckle, then why alter the structure of that joint in the first place?

Were there two types of punching, one for beginners like we all commonly practice now. And one for advanced where all the force travels totally out the Phoenix eye?
    What do you think?
    It is a matter of application. Although the vertical fist delivers most power through the bottom 3 knuckes, the Phoenex punch is not necessarily about striking hard, it is about precision. It is taught in aplication for striking soft targets such as the throat. In this case the strength of the punch concentrated on the top knuckle is more than enough to render an effective strike to this target.
    FCF: So, who will you be facing at the next PRIDE event?

'It doesn't matter who the opponent is, I expect to win by knockout'

-Vanderlai Silva