Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shape shifting yin and yang

Shape shifting yin and yang

Body shapes in your system, changing from yin to yang, i find that ykm keeps the yin covered and shows the yang shell.

At times yes, our guard changes so it will show the yin then to close up again.

any comments?

FT

Clever topic FT & one hand lies. Hakka Tong Long shows nothing & this means no prepositioned hands & no posture & reveals no intent. From outside it looks like deep & calm water & what's underneath is hidden & flows swift & powerful. We give no bridge
    & what looks to be given is in truth taken & it is not the mind that is beaten but the physical person that is destroyed. No matter how strong the will the body destroyed can't obey the desire to continue. Just my opinion & not fact.

Thumbs up D.T

As we have spoken about yin and yang before, i thought this would be a good topic! Yin and Yang is in every movement be it, hands, legs steping etc

I have told my guys there isnt any real set on guard position, some of the bak mei people here may disagree, YC in the past has! what im saying is constant shifting and lying as you call it is what im trying to say.

each posture yin or yang has its set ups and defenses and attacks!

cheers
    Garry FT

Yes agreed FT & can't we say that one measure of skill is how well a person shifts shape? We say that you wear us like skin & speaks to how well we match up in each moment & movement much more like compliment to the foe than resistence. Better to lie & cooperate than show honest & dictate. Not fact & just opinion so I don't argue if YC says different.

Shifting between

It is true. Shifting from Yin to Yang quickly takes time and training. In the begining you have to tell yourself to relax before contacting again, but given correct practice and patence the practitioner can shift between hard and soft instantly. It is a skill that is required for the use of the SPM "Shock" power.

last master

Correct, but there is yin strikes and yang strikes!!

D.T,

Yes agreed FT & can't we say that one measure of skill is how well a person shifts shape?

A. I think so, especially when 2 are fighting, using the persons energy, coutering with shapes takes a certain skill, training lots of energy work with each other.

I wasnt saying YC is wrong he was the only one that came to my mind when bringing up this topic. SORRY YUMMY!! What can i say u bring out the best in me.hehehe

cheers
    FT

Very sly of you FT & I don't think many will pickup on what you've said & I don't want to spoil it for you if you want people to dig inside to find an answer they can live with so I leave this alone for a day or so, okay? If noone answers then I point out what you have written & most will say oh, I get it now & that's good & even better if someone else just says it but they should let people think a bit.

Wink D.T

hahahaha, yeah i was waiting for you! I was hoping someone was going to pick up on what i wrote.

FT

Originally posted by Diamond Talons
    Clever topic FT & one hand lies. Hakka Tong Long shows nothing & this means no prepositioned hands & no posture & reveals no intent. From outside it looks like deep & calm water & what's underneath is hidden & flows swift & powerful. We give no bridge
    & what looks to be given is in truth taken & it is not the mind that is beaten but the physical person that is destroyed. No matter how strong the will the body destroyed can't obey the desire to continue. Just my opinion & not fact.
    Very well put DT!

Although no intent is shown in Mantis, I still think the stance and guard has a very stern "don't f*ck with me" attitude about it.

Speaking yin and yang - I was in a park yesterday watching some other martial artists practice their wares. At one stage they did some punching defence. Basically, one guy attacked with a flurry of punches and with every punch the defender yielded. It was a case of yin, yin, yin, yin.... and the attackers was becoming more yang with every step. The entire approach was was fundamentally flawed.

Yang and Yin must be used in concert with each other. A simple practice so often overlooked or misunderstood.

Thoughts?
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

TAOBOY

Thats why the mindset must be drilled into students and use overkill, as having the defensive mindset wont help you, offensive mindset is what must be taugt.

Also your attack is your defense so straight away soon as someone moved your in and striking.

thats my thoughts
    FT

Offensive - Defensive

Teaching the student to be on the offensive will probably work, as in most southern kung fu systems attack and defence are integrated in single devistating techniques with fearsome power behind them. Again both Yin and Yang come into play.

En Garde

Hi Guys,
    Yes, FT was party to an exploration I went through, looking for the essential en-garde stance. This was and to some extent is still one of my little pet queries, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a Pak Mei Pai issue.

DT very eloquently sort of puts it in a nutshell, and there is nothing there that any sensible player might disagree with, however I feel more inclined to agree with FT in the attitude presented, beyond any particular posture or lack thereof.

From my own exploration into the topic, I will say though that in real-world, on initial confrontation, I present a neutral demeanor, non-agressive (yin from that Point of view) posture and invite the antagonist into a trap.

My belief is that the defender has the advantage. One of the hardest things to train is to wait... then you use their own folly against them in a brutal and efficient manner.

However, in sparring encounters, I use a couple of stances within the ebb and flow, and I have looked for the best ones that allow me to use Pak Mei as opposed to Kickboxing. I have my conclusions, but they really only apply to games. And Sifu kinda asked me to quit playing games...<sigh>

As Sifu says, in a real confrontation, there is no need for the en-garde stance, as the initial clash tells the tale, and there is no need to re-gather.

So, have I restored the integrity of my pai worldwide with my explanation of my own shortcomming? <snicker> Didn't I see a pic of FT in a "ready" stance on his website...? Where does that come from?

"We give no bridge & what looks to be given is in truth taken" Certainly applies to YKM, as well as PM and SPM, if the level of the player is high enough? The whole shroud of mystery is partly so the other guy has no idea what to expect anyhow!

"The measure of one's skill is their ability to shift shape" I'll pay that as well, it addresses the yang and yin issues as well as anything else. Shifting is good, shifting in the right way is better... Forcing the other to shift is perhaps best...

Too bad we can't play these esoteric games on-line....<grin> It would make the time so much more interesting...

Beyond technique, we are moving into the spiritual attitude towards combat here as well, "shen?"

"Sifu teaches the tiger and leopard, but the essence of Pak Mei comes from the Imortals" Where did I hear that again?

DT,
    Are you a fan of Mushashi? Are you familiar with the terms "domination" and "crease". I have found some interesting parallels between the way of the sword in Japanese culture and our style's philosophy of engagement.

Yum Cha

Hi,

hahaha yes, en guard or any guard is ok if you have time and both people are squaring up to fight. like put up ur dukes!!

what i was showing in the pics which i have a few of them, are different positions that leave the gates open or closed, high and low , but again this changes and never stagnats!!

I dont believe that the defender has the upper hand as you dont know how good or strong your foe is, so agrression is the key. Even moving backwards i am still using offensive mindset, i dont wait for the guy to move always, and i will attack 1st in most and some cases.

merry xmas to you
    FT

Re: Yum Cha

Originally posted by fiercest tiger
    Hi,

hahaha yes, en guard or any guard is ok if you have time and both people are squaring up to fight. like put up ur dukes!!

what i was showing in the pics which i have a few of them, are different positions that leave the gates open or closed, high and low , but again this changes and never stagnats!!

Certainly, solid material too.

One could even also say there are natural "starting points" for combinations that require some form of "shaping up" before committment, or situations that you find yourself shaped up into that automatically lead into other executions.

I dont believe that the defender has the upper hand as you dont know how good or strong your foe is, so agrression is the key. Even moving backwards i am still using offensive mindset, i dont wait for the guy to move always, and i will attack 1st in most and some cases.

I know that <wink>. Big yang boy. Just wait young fellah...see, I'm too old and fat to chase people around, I just let them come to me. It solved a lot of technical problems...<grin> Agression certainly has its place, but there are many "keys." Ferocity is the term I like to use.

merry xmas to you

Thank you, right back at ya matey. BTW I got a copy of warriors way and read your articles....It was the best of the magazine...kudos.

FT [/B]

Yum Cha

KOOL, the mag isnt bad except for the wingchun dummy that took up half the **** mag. Also i didnt get to have my technique work shop in there, maybe next time. Im doing an iron palm article for next issue, basic conditioning mediations, herbs etc stay tunned!!

Too Fat and too Old, old wise one......remember if your in my space you cope a whollop! hehehe no need to chase just enter my circle.

later
    FT