View Poll Results: How many of you guys have shoes?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have shoes.

9 60.00%
  • I don't have shoes but I want some.

0 0%
  • I don't really like shoes.

3 20.00%
  • I'll wear anything that's comfortable and doesn't smell too bad.

3 20.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes

I'd never heard of the feiyuen shoe before.
    And you guys call yourselfs shaolin sheesh j/k
    We train on carpet... and I'm gellin' like a fellin' in those feiyues too.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

The Gel is awesome for walking, feels awesome if you put em in the fridge for a bit as well...

Would be worried about high impact gellin however, as it may explode the blue goodness into your shoes...

your so not gellin'...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Nah, I had a pair... dunno what happened to em tho. Will buy some more soon, they work great.

They have a whole store here in Denver dedicated to In-soles. I think its a little much, considering their most expensive in-sole runs $150. a little steep.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

like a f*ckin cloud, man.

I like the Feivues myself. There's also this really awesome shoe that I got in China... they were called new McMasters and I bought them from some old guy in an alley... he had one pair left that was exactly my size. Best martial arts shoe I ever had

How many times do we have to hear bullshlt stories about someone getting great shoes from a little old Chinese guy in an alley? Really, all you are doing is dragging down the art of shoe shopping. Join the 21st century and shop like you train.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

LOL!!!

$150, thats not too bad... You should see the process for my old ski racing boots... insoles and full custom foam memory for the bladder.... that was awsome.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

ski boots are a pretty penny by themselves. I'd think that anything having to do with ski boots are expensive as hell.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

All together my last gs setup cost ~$2500 (boots, bindings, skis, gs suit, etc..) good thing I've had family in the industry for 35 years. Kung fu, as expensive as it can get is actually one of my cheaper endevours into sport/fitness/etc.
    practice wu de

Kung Fu can be cheap for those who like to cut corners, but it always ends up catching up to you in the end when you buy cheap equipment. But thats true with anything....
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Can someone explain to me why...

...people shell out money for "martial arts" shoes? What advantages do they have over cheap sneakers or crosstrainers?

Am I missing out on something?
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Running shoes - a REALLY BAD idea. Running shoes are made for forward and backward stress (mainly forward). they also have a triangular sole with higher heel than toe. This shifts your weight forward and tends to place you up on an unstable pedestal.

Martial Arts requires all around balance, stability, and the ability to do movement in all directions.

So, the running shoe works against you in the stability and balance area but REALLY fails in the movement area. In fact, I have had students who came in with VERY expensive New Balance running shoes...and after less than 6 months, the seams were popping out from the lateral movement.

Running shoes simply are NOT made for that type of stress.

Basketball shoes...aimed at support and jumping...but not flexible enough.

Racquetball, Badminton, and volleyball shoes (typically only available in Asia) are great.

The Feiyues and other shoes made for martial arts (Discipline are nice but pricey) Otomix (but only one tie for the top) are great. They may need more innersoles, tend to run wide, and may not be available in larger sizes. You also may need to know your international size and not use the US size.

Wrestling shoes...basically good but not for outdoor practice..the soles wear out too fast. They have limited support, no innersole, and often a split sole. That takes a bit of getting used to. The high tops ARE hot...and hard to cover up for a demo uniform like silks.

However, if you pick a good shoe that is made for lateral movement...and then spend extra for Sorbothane innersoles ($20 or so US) with arch support, you get everything you need.

I actually spend more on my innersoles than I do on my shoes.

Size 12-13 runs as a 46-47 or 48 in international sizes. They are one for one down...so you do the math to figure your size.