View Poll Results: How many of you guys have shoes?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have shoes.

9 60.00%
  • I don't have shoes but I want some.

0 0%
  • I don't really like shoes.

3 20.00%
  • I'll wear anything that's comfortable and doesn't smell too bad.

3 20.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Re: Can someone explain to me why...

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    ...people shell out money for "martial arts" shoes? What advantages do they have over cheap sneakers or crosstrainers?

Am I missing out on something?
    well… your standard kung fu slippers are even cheaper than cheap sneakers or crosstrainers…

Re: Can someone explain to me why...

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    ...people shell out money for "martial arts" shoes? What advantages do they have over cheap sneakers or crosstrainers?

Am I missing out on something?
    From personal experience, the shoes last about the same if I buy expensive or not.

I think the choice of shoes also depends on what type of footwork you practice.

For my style I found certain shoes more of a handicap than others.

Said that my Sifu has no recommendations for shoes and everybody uses what they are comfortable with. From cheap canvas shoes to expensive shoes, most(if not all) are low-cut below the ankle.
    Witty signature under construction.

i wear converse tennis shoes. they are light-weight canvas and very breathable.

Shoes

Asics Wrestling shoes. I like 'em for the ankle support. They're also light & comfy. Not to mention they match my non-traditional, patch riddled, embroidered, tied closed with a belt, gi very well. Black goes w/everything don't ya know. lol
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

I just wear my adidas shell toes. nice and flat.

Dunlop KT-26.

Lasted 2 years of training a minimum of an hour a day, average of about 3 hours. Kicking heavy bags, stepping, formwork, application, less sparring than I would have liked.

I don't know if they're available outside Aus though. Still have my last pair, which have lasted well but without as heinous a training regime.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

Wrestling shoes. Nike. I hate training barefoot in a group class.
    Regards

Cross trainers also tend to have a little too much grip and can stick to the mat, torque your knee.
    Wresting shoes have pivot points, made for movement ON MATS, but that does leave the outdoor training issue... Which I just wear my cross trainers for (Plan on buying some samba's or roma's as well...)

For class, it's the standard kung fu shoe, low-cut, lace-up (cheap tennies really) with thin flat sole. Some folks are buying Kwons (www.kwon.com ) because feiyues aren't allowed in class (no white shoes).

At home I practice in a $5 pair of tennies I picked up at the discount store, they're plastic & leather and I don't mind getting them muddy (been kind of rainy this year).

I used to practice on my lunch break in $75 running shoes and yes, GLW, the seams exploded.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

I wear Adidas Sambas, I think they are supreme @ss-kicking shoes for real life situations. Like a glove for your feet, but with a rubber sole. I don't even tie them and when I do kicks they never fly off.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

patch riddled, embroidered
    way to have a sense of humour...
    As far as the asics go, I never wear hightops, so I just never saw the use in training in them.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I was given a pair of Adidas Sambas last Christmas and I have to say they have held up very well and have a good balance.

Before I wore these I wore classic Vans. The sambas seem a bit more padded. One of my si-hings swore by a pair of black Vans Graphs and they looked pretty comfy and seemed to hold held up pretty well. Of course we are both ex-skaters so we both have a "soft spot" for Vans. When these Samba's wear out I might consider going back to Vans, I've worn them for over twenty years I can't immagine life without them

I got a pair of Feiyues after a mishap with a couple of beers and they are comfy, a bit wide for my narrow foot though. I wear more or less them as slippers inside now.

Shoes

Buy your shoes here! What can I say? Just this...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shoes

has anybody used these shoes

Re: Shoes

Originally posted by Jhapa

has anybody used these shoes
    I wear them for pracitice. IMO, they're the best practice shoes you can get.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.