Thread: Usawkf 2002

Usawkf 2002

Forgive me if someone already posted this, I haven't been online in a while. But... how many people here went to the Tat Wong USAWKF tournament Dec 8th? I did, it was alot of fun and I have to say there was some excellent kung-fu there.

Diu Sao

Unhappy Didn't sound so good at Raffi's

Go over to Raffi's website @ www.beijingwushuteam.com it sounded as if everyone from that discussion board that was in attendance walked away with a bad taste in their mouths!

Tat's

I was there. I enjoyed watching some of the fights. And of course, it was great to see everyone.

The facility was a little tight so a lot of Wushu people didn't have enough running room. But is was a fine day to be in SF, better spent outside at the park or on the Haight than in the musty old Kezar.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I positioned myself to watch the fights (not into the modern Wushu arts). And stood up to see work in rings across the room. But, it was hard to see and it was not comfortable to get around. Wound up walking the Haight in search of a pot of tea and window shopping for over an hour during the afternoon. Met up with old acquaintences and friends. As Gene said, a nice day to be in SF.

Cody

First, I was NOT there so take things with a bit of a grain of salt.

From the postings and what folks I know have told me...here are the following observations:

Turn out was good...but then again, any event in San Francisco has a built in group of competitors

The venue was poor. There were people on Raffi's site who were mentioning that they went across the street to go to the bathroom due to the quality of the facilities.

The area was crowded and the rings were set out VERY small.

The qualifications of many of the judges were questioned. Don't know about this but I DO know that training judges is a big issue regardless of which organization you support. A competition is only as good as the level and fairness of the judges.

The big issue on the rings size has to do with the fact that the USAWKF is THE organization that is recognized by the IWuF. The size of the rings has been spelled out in the USAWKF's rules - although they may have removed that or modified it.

However, the point is that NONE of the Contemporary Wushu events for a NATIONAL event should EVER be run in a ring that is NOT exactly the size specified by the IWuF rules. Judge number, placement, etc... are ALL spelled out by the IWuF.

If what you are doing is truly a national event and you are the body that selects the team to compete in the IWuF events, it truly ruins your credibility if you do anything but follow the international rules to the letter.

However, if this had been an event run by..say the USWU, my criticisms would have been identical.

When you have a rulebook - YOU FOLLOW IT.

When competitors are paying for a competition, you give them the best event and venue you can...don't cut corners on little things.

(Why was it the weekend it was...when so many who compete are college students....heard of FINALS?)

The competitions by any group should keep in mind that there are competitors who are consumers...