Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wu Gong Yee vs. Chan Hak Fu

After watching this fight with an open mind I have concluded just one thing:
    I could choke both of these guys unconscious... At the same time!
    Last edited by Skummer; 01-05-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Type01, Please realize that if someone can not fight then they simply can not fight.

Try to use some common sense.
    Last edited by truewrestler; 01-05-2003 at 05:07 PM.

Type01, apprently you can't simply grasp the idea that the fight SUCKED....

I can tell you that his footwork is wrong because of how he stood and how he got hit! Please don't argue with me about Tibetan style footwork, trust me, I will win...

I have 10-15 guys in my school who would have killed these guys

You are grasping at straws trying to make a fight out of a slap fest

hmmm only a few comments to make.

firstly, i guess we are forced to make an assessment of a fighters capability from this one recorded fight match, something normally most ppl i'm assuming would be reluctant to do.

secondly, we are all using fight clips/fights etc we have seen of professional, amatuer fighters who train on a regular basis according to particular rules or NHB rules to fight in that type of arena as a standard of comparison. This standard is being used to compare with a fight that appears to have taken place between two fighters who as lkfmdc suggests had alot less sparring experience and i believe specific training for this kind of fight. i've seen the first NHB UFC tournament with no gloves. even tho' many of the fighters were apparently champions of their respective styles etc and appeared to have fighting experience they actually looked pretty awful in the ring.

my final point, regardless of what we all think of that skill level in that single recorded fight, Mr Chan has established a TWC school in Australia that has produced good fighters that has produced results in local full contact tournaments/ matches - particularly in the 70s-80s when this kind of fighting venue was more common. i know personally how a close friend of mine who studies in the school 2nd generation from Mr Chan was able to successfully defend himself against three muggers one of whom was armed with a weapon. i was surprised to hear from a hung gar man that one of Mr CHan's bai see students was seen throwing around with ease two robbers at his store (not my words).
    ...simply, Mr Chan is a master teacher, able to pass on his knowledge and skills effectively to his students.

gd training to u all

hmmm

wasnt very good, but the sound affects are cool!

lkfmdc,

do your guys fight kickboxing/thai more then kung fu oriented?

i've seen the first NHB UFC tournament with no gloves. even tho' many of the fighters were apparently champions of their respective styles etc and appeared to have fighting experience they actually looked pretty awful in the ring.
    you are exactly right, they sucked and these guys sucked.

Perhaps, consider this for a mere second, Chan Hak Fu learned the hard way that just practicing forms and basics doesn't make you a fighter and so he instituted sparring in his organization and encouraged his students to compete. Perhaps, I am SUGGESTINGM, maybe he studied a lot more western boxing and saw training methods that could be used to train fighters so they wouldn't look like crap like thier teacher had once upon a time. MAYBE I AM SUGGESTING SOMETHING

I train Chinese martial art in a modern method, ie we use equipment, protective gear and we spar. We drill the applications realisticly. Funny, because we can fight, some thing it isn't even Chinese martial art! I am 100% sure what I teach is Chinese martial art, it is in theory, in "ging" and in technique... and my guys would still have tossed those guys about, which is a sad thing for two so called "masters"

Stories of this and that abound in TCMA, but in this case we have a concrete fight to watch, and you have to look at it and be honest, it isn't some profound display of esoteric skill, it is two guys who flail about without much body control because their training did not prepare them for a real adrenaline fueled, high stress encounter

which points again to the same thing
    lack of training/sparring dedicated for fighting in that format

like my posts have said b4...some thigns i agree with u ppl on. anyway as i've always said theres a lesson to learn from the clip. for me at least.

i've noticed something i keep repeating myself lol
    anyway hey look! this thread has had like over 2000 views, quite a popular thread .

im with Friday and fiercest tiger

yes great sound effects!!!!!

i feel like im repeating myself, no one ever gives me a proper answer ppl just keep repeating them selves it was crap it was crap. Im sorry if im sounding like im arguing im trying to have a disscussion no ones disscussing it just it was crap i could do better, well maybe you can i dont care fuksticks!!! when ppl dont like something its for a reason, eg a movie it had great action, but acting was bad becos the lines were dry....etc

lkfmdc from your comments im assuming you prob. train in Tibetian White Crane style, if you couldnt spot a severly obivous defence techniques 'employed by Mr Chan and had to be told about it what makes you think your qualifed to judge his footwork and punches??

look i agree so things were not the greatest but it was a fight there are always stuff ups right?!

Y A W N

People have explained in detail what is wrong with the fight, you simply aren't listening because you don't want to. Not to mention of course, it is so f-ing OBVIOUS how poor a "fight" this was.

We should start calling you Cleopatra, Queen of Denile Seriously though, if you want to get into a ****ing contest let me say I am the adopted disciple of one of the highest ranking Tibetan MA masters in the world, and have 17 years of experience in the art, including using it to FIGHT...

There is nothing subtle, no defense to observe, it is a very poor display, and the fact you can't even grasp this really calls into question what credentials you have vis-a-vie application of TCMA in FIGHTS

Originally posted by friday
    i've noticed something i keep repeating myself lol
    anyway hey look! this thread has had like over 2000 views, quite a popular thread .
    Yes and McDonald's sells billions of burgers...but its still crap. This thread is a waste of bandwidth.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

lkfmdc from your comments im assuming you prob. train in Tibetian White Crane style, if you couldnt spot a severly obivous defence techniques 'employed by Mr Chan and had to be told about it what makes you think your qualifed to judge his footwork and punches??
    LOL @ You Type01 because you have no idea who you are talking to. Simply put...he is qualified.

I will address some issues as to "why this sucked."

1. Fighters were knocked off balance and frequently. What this means is no experience in yielding or rooting. Watch a boxing match. Opponents are VERY infrequently knocked off balance when you compare shots that knock them off balance with shots that land and don't. Don't tell me I "don't understand." Being off balance is bad whether you are boxing or playing soccer. It's fundamental to forceful, useful movements.

2. The fighters were frequently thrown off balance by their own movements. What this means is--no experience in yielding or rooting AND bad footwork. It also has something to do with....

3. Rotational Movements were too large. I do not mean that twisting existed and it shouldn't have, or that rotational movements existed and that that concept is bad. What I mean is that the movements discribed a path that was too long about the axes. A large rotation is a slow rotation. A slow rotation has NO impact. Every rotational movement in a combat art/sport is small. And the better you get, the smaller those movements become, to a biomechanical limit. When wrestlers first learn to hip throw, they make a big slow clumsy step around and throw the partner. As they improve they make a very small foot change that is as clean as a pirouette called a backstep that allows them to move into the throw much more quickly. Another example is a boxer's hook. Everybody who starts learning this punch almost invariably throws a looper like a half-drunk frat boy. As you get better, the movement becomes tighter and tighter until it becomes sharp and has pop.

4. Pushed punches and kickes. Punches and kicks were pushed rather than fired and returned. The difference between pushing and striking a heavy bag is obvious. A pushed punch or kick makes the bag swing. A properly thrown punch or kick causes it to fold over. Don't tell me "internal/external." You want to hurt the other guy, not push him around. Maybe if you're doing some esoteric internal organ thing I've never seen, but these guys were just punching and kicking (sort of) Pushing does not hurt the other guy, leaves you open for too long, and has a tendency to overbalance causing you to make BAD corrective actions, like sticking your head out to over compensate for poor body structure.

5. Flustered when actually kind of hit by something that almost had enough pop to do something maybe. Inexperience shows.

This can all be summed up: Those of us who have actually fought and watched real fighters fight saw this and said "The biomechanics here were all wrong."

I don't care what style you do, you can't ignore that we're all built basically the same, so offbalance movement comes from IMPROPER movement, regardless what label you attach.

Bottom line was it was inexperience that made both these guys suck. Maybe they're great teachers. But they're Z class fighters. That's not anything to be ashamed of. I'm not knocking them. I'm knocking the people that think something mystical and esoteric is going on because they're masters, or that "it's SUPPOSED to look like this," because they're brainwashed.

If you find anything worthy of note in this fight other than:

1. At least they had the balls to step up.

And

2. Here's how NOT to look,

You need a reality check.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 01-07-2003 at 01:38 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli