Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes TJQ so hard to master?

What makes TJQ so hard to master?

Time to get some TJQ threads going again.

As the thread title sez:
    "What makes TC so hard to master."

For me it is primarily two things, keeping everything rounded, moving and relaxed.

Plus, another thing "bao" (sp?) Teacher always sez that all our movements need to have this type of "fullness".

My current Chen TJQ style does not have a prescribed speed or timeframe that the forms needs to be done in, which I really prefer over my previous style.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

hmmm

For me its the whole gammuty of internal developmetn and keeping the jionts open so as to facilitate smooth harmonious unimpinged movement whilst being sung.

But then maybe I'm nit picking!!?!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

TJQ hard to master

For me, amongst many things it is trying not to fall back on old habits and allow tnsion to creep into movements. I find this especially difficult in any type of sparring situation, (too much Karate as a kid according to my teacher).

I'm a beginner, and what makes it so hard for me is the listening.

I've always done styles which didn't involve so much subtle reaction to what the opponent is doing.

Relaxing facial muscles, keeping proper alignment, concentration, and many others!
    Bless you

Hmmm

Why facial muscles?????

I was taught that the face is a reflection of the spirit, and that if the face shows tension, the spirit (and hence parts of the body) are also tense.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

Soong, and moving from the center

If you can get the mechanics right, and the principles of movement, and internal movement.

internal:
    sinking qi into the dan tein and bone marrow
    external:

1)moving from the center-(which is the backbone and the KD1 line leading down to the center of your feet below the ball) also the waist(dan tein)
    2) 3 external connections- hands to feet, elbows knees, shoulder to hips/waist(hips and waist are not the same thing though).
    When feet go up hands go up, at least slighty
    3) leading-, moving the body at the extremities one as if in a punch, the body is divide into a thousand pieces you move one by one, so the peices of the fist pull the wrist which pulls the arms, etc, tell the pull the center. but in actually when doing this the center IS MOVING AT SAME COORDINATION, at the SAME time. its just that for coordination of Yi and Qi you keep in mind your extermities.
    4) Uses the Earths forces- again in moving from the Center which is but probably to exclusive to the Dantien, Center of your back, and the line going down you the ball point of your feet KD1. But even though your hands lead the attack pulling your body, in a chain at the same time naturally you feet press off the ground, pushing ground qi, from the earth to the center (up your back to your fist.

Internal;
    1) Fajing, and reserve breathing.
    2) 3 commbitnations; Shen leads Yi lead Qi,
    3) of course let QI move the movement. not Li.

Shen is something I would like to work on.

If you can get the mechanics right, and the principles of movement, and internal movement.

internal:
    external:

1)moving from the center-(which is the backbone and the KD1 line leading down to the center of your feet below the ball) also the waist(dan tein)
    2) 3 external connections- hands to feet, elbows knees, shoulder to hips/waist(hips and waist are not the same thing though).
    3) leading-, moving the body at the extremities one as if in a punch, the body is divide into a thousand pieces you move one by one, so the peices of the fist pull the wrist which pulls the arms, etc, tell the pull the center. but in actually when doing this the center IS MOVING AT SAME COORDINATION, at the SAME time. its just that for coordination of Yi and Qi you keep in mind your extermities.
    4) Uses the Earths forces- again in moving from the Center which is but probably to exclusive to the Dantien, Center of your back, and the line going down you the ball point of your feet KD1. But even though your hands lead the attack pulling your body, in a chain at the same time naturally you feet press off the ground, pushing ground qi, from the earth to the center (up your back to your fist.

Internal;

internal:
    external:

Internal;

Walter Joyce

From A chinese perspective it is only the eyes which the spirit manifests through. The rest of the face is not connected with the spirit, however I suppose that a different reason why the face should be relaxed is that ant head/face level tension will probably result in too much Qi being held high in the body and it could detract from sinking down to the Dan Tien.

Silly me, I was thinking from a human perspective.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

To Walter

lol, that was funny.
    Silly me, I was thinking from a human perspective.

Right now, just remembering the **** form.

Its ****ing long.

strike!

What is your goal for mastery?

Why have a goal at all?

Isn't doing it all that's important?

Isn't good practice immediately rewarding?

Won't good practice continue to be immediately rewarding?

Hard? No, easy!

Then every moment of good practice, from your first day to your fiftieth year will be your own mastery; your goal complete.

The only question, then, is how often you'll spend exploring your mastery.
    Last edited by Christopher M; 08-06-2003 at 12:47 PM.