Thread: Hip Flexors

Hip Flexors

Need help. I'm not very flexible as is but I'm having a real problem with my hip flexors. They are extremely tight and are the limiting factor when trying waist height round kicks and any side kicks (which I've never tried to perfect but am looking more into them now). Most of the time, you would think you would need more groin stretching but instead its the outside of my hips that hurt.

I've done a lot of full power muay thai kicks in the past and think I might have overworked that part of my body. Was never really into stretching but realize I have to make it more of my routine.

I've started to try to strech this are by sitting in chairs with one leg crossed over the other (like ordinary people do) and that is very difficult for me. Is there anything else I can do to to stretch that area or does it sound more like a joint issue, not connective tissue. Thanks.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Surely when you side kick that area is contracted? Therfore it sounds more like you need to practice side kicks and holding your leg out in that position to make the muscles stronger so it no longer hurts.

ghthomason - I feel exactly the same way. Even when stretching, the limiting factor is the outside hip, not the groin. Was hoping someone had already made that trip to the doctor and had some advice. I've looked into Glucosamine and other "joint suppliments" but haven't really tried any of them as of yet. Might have to make an appointment also. Doesn't limit me in everyday life though so its hard to get motivated to see a doc about it.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

if it's tight, stretch it.

if it's really tight, stretch it more often.

if it's super tight, ... you get the idea.

try any of these, or, better yet, try them all:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/toc_4.cfm
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 12-20-2002 at 02:34 PM.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA