Thread: Stance...

Stance...

Sorry if there's already been a 1001 posts on this already - this is my first visit to the JKD forum!

I've read that Bruce Lee employed a side-on stance in combat, favouring his strongest lead leg forward (like a fencer). Is this true? Is this stance encouraged within the various JKD denominations (as opposed to a neutral stance)?

Which, out of the two stances mentioned, do you favour and why?

Cheers..

Smile The Jeet Kune Do Bai Jong

Hello Monkey Man!

Here is a brief description of the JKD Bai Jong, or on guard position.

• Foot alignment should be angular (lead foot facing into centerline at a forty-five degree angle, rear foot turned away from the center line at forty-five degree angle or turned slightly more to the front in the case of preparation for the forward lunge).
    • Foot width should be medium (approximately 1 ˝ shoulder widths apart).
    • Centerline width should be approximately three to six inches, no more, no less (more than six inches of centerline width opens the groin as a target, less than three – poor balance).
    • Rear heel is raised slightly for greater mobility, increased torque capability, to spring load for forward lunge and a presentation of false distance to the opponent.
    • Weight distribution is 50-50 (varies depending on the task at hand).
    • Both knees should be slightly bent (rear slightly more than front due to the raised rear heel).
    • The upper body should be erect with the abdomen flexed and the shoulders aligned with the feet (no excessive tension in the lower back or abdominal region).
    • The elbows are in and down, with the lead elbow carried four to six inches in front of the body at all times (immovable elbow theory).
    • The hands are positioned on the centerline, with neither fully open or fully closed (the non-telegraphic hand). The rear hand is your primary defense hand, and is carried directly below the chin. The lead hand is your primary attack hand, and it tracks the opponent's nose (forearm lined up on the nose at all times).
    • The head is facing the opponent’s centerline, tilted slightly downward (just enough so that a full fist, either vertical or horizontal, cannot get in to the throat).
    • Using peripheral vision, the eyes take in everything from your lead foot to just above the top of the opponent’s head (use proper visual focus principles).
    • The body should be “alive,” in light, continuous motion to assist in non-telegraphic attack delivery preparation (what Bruce Lee referred to as “small phasic motion”).

This stance is not actually a "side on" facing stance, but uses angular alignment of the feet. This is to allow for full use of all tools, as well as improved balance in footwork, attack and defense! I hope you find this information helpful!
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"

I was going to post a question on this very thing! Can I get a better description of what this means?

"• The body should be “alive,” in light, continuous motion to assist in non-telegraphic attack delivery preparation (what Bruce Lee referred to as “small phasic motion”)."

Sifu Lamar Davis's description is correct and textbook. The most important part is that you are comfortable and always mobile. It is not a side-on stance, your hips are square to the opponent much like Wing Chun or boxing.

Red5: that literally means you should always be moving. That doesnt mean mindlessly hoping around, move with a purpose, in relation to your opponent. Your lead weapons should be 'floating' so the opponent doesnt know exactly where they are, what exactly your reach (range) is, and most importantly, when your going to attack. This helps your speed, because you are already in motion, hampers the reaction time of the opponent, and allows you the option of multiple angles without fundamentally changing your position.

Bruce Lee discusses this indept in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

You need to be comfortable in your 'basic on guard stance.' So either drill the bi jong until it is second nature, or find your own offensive-defensive mobile ready stance.
    strike!

Also of note is that not all styles of western fencing use a side-on stance. There are almost as many 'methods' of armed combat in the west as there is in the east, and many of them call themselves fencing.

Also worth mentioning is that the bi-jong is not static, ever. In combat it all depends on your opponent.
    strike!

hmmm, so your hips are square to the opponent but your feet are not? Similar to Wingchun?

as for your lead hand floating I was just reading an article on that as well. It sounds like you want to keep the elbow still while just floating the forearm and hand?

Also, when you say the bi jong is always in motion, can you tell me how you keep it in motion in regards to your opponent and his disposition?

red5: quick quide to JKD stance:

begin chum kil form. after the first turn (to the left...) stop. Raise your rear heel (the right...) stop. bend your arms at the elbows, front (the left...) down into low bong sau, the rear (the right...) in a sort of wu sau type thing in front of your face. Wallah (quote red5) JKD stance made easy by Yenhoi!

So yep, like wing chun. Carefull with my generalizations, the energy is not the same if you catch my drift. JKD is more like a wave coming at you, WCK is like a wedge of fire or some such. You also want to attempt at most times to carry your weight on the balls of your feet, keeps you light, and unlike what some "traditionalists" might say, you can root with this footing.

Also, when you say the bi jong is always in motion, can you tell me how you keep it in motion in regards to your opponent and his disposition?

No. There is no way I can theroize how the opponent will move. Try to punch him without being punched.

as for your lead hand floating I was just reading an article on that as well. It sounds like you want to keep the elbow still while just floating the forearm and hand?

Kinda. Most JKD has similar principles as WCK does regarding the lead elbow and the centerline. For starters, you can 'drift' the lead hand from low bong sau to tan sau, very slowly. Then introduce some circular motion. Eventually it does it on its own.
    strike!

Ok, it's starting to make a little more sense now.
    I need to do a lot of work on footwork, I am used to the fairly static position of wingchun....

by the way, I should kick you a$$ for the wallah thing but I like you too much...

WCK is not static. The way it is usually taught/trained, makes it seem so because of the order of operations (when ideas / principles / training methods are introduced.) IMO JKD is WCK, but Im nuts and do drugs.

Shadowbox, shadowbox, shadowbox. Cant do it enough.
    Concentrate on moving and evading/parrying the opponents attacks, do not do footwork drills. Once you get that sense of 'opponent' shadowboxing gets easier and funner.
    strike!