Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know about Green Dragon Kung Fu Tapes???

falconer Guest
    Most of what we do is Shuai Chiao, Tai Chi and Hsing I. We do strength training. Stances and various internal Chinese exercises. Basics and stances are stressed a lot.

Pilgrim Guest

Training

What do you know of the history/lineage of the programs such as arm grabs, teet lohan chin chuan, stone warrior? A friend told me Master Ong concentrated on arm grabs and the body, and according to a tape Master Chicoine concentrates on the body and iron palm.How much do you feel herbs are necessary for success?

NineStep Guest

Power Programs

The Stone Warrior is Southern 5-Animal Shaolin as is the Teet Lohan Chin Chuan (Iron Buddha). The arm-grab you are refering to is called "Snake Turns Over" and comes from Choy Li Fut. It's a 100 day program designed for power and strength development.
    My Opinion on Green Dragon is basically that I don't have one. They have a large variety of empty-hand and weapons forms available and seem to be on the up-and-up. However most of what they have has been revamped and reworked by S 5-Animal Shaolin and so therefor has that same flavor.
    If you're interested oder a tape and decide for yourself if it's something you want to pursue. Be forewarned however it takes from 6-8 weeks to get your order (that has been my experience anyway).
    Hope this helps out.

NineStep
    Pak Mei Kung-Fu

falconer Guest
    I'm not a historian, so you'd have to ask Chicoine. If I recall correctly, Stone warrior is something Rick Allen came up with on his own.

Pilgrim Guest

Training

Thanks for the info. Curious about the real history. I've done the arm grabs for 100 days the I Nan Kuen and their version of Taming the Tiger. My routine consists of the body and arm grabs; I'm not dedicated since I miss about 20 days a year. Anyone do the Stone Warrior up to the 36 reps per set?

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Hey Falconer

Okay, what I'm going to propose is inviting your school to send competitors to an ACSCA event. I'll be sending rules over for your review.

I think David Lin will be responding to some of the comments about him. I spoke with him and he is a little annoyed at the rascist comment in IKF. I am too, as a caucasian who knows him and his students, it is a ridiculous claim.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

falconer Guest

Monkey Slap

I might just be a little out of the loop, What racist comment in IKF? Is this something recent or from years past?

I'm sure there will be a few of the younger guys who will want to compete and maybe a few of the "old timers" (note: if I suddenly disappear its because one of them read that comment and thoroughly beat me) who used to compete in the early 80's. I really can't say for sure how I think the idea will be accepted.

Since it is coming from Master Lin's group, I think more people will be accepting of it. Email me the info and I'll give it to Chicoine this weekend when I go home to get some training in.

[This message was edited by falconer on 02-05-01 at 01:23 PM.]

falconer Guest
    ok, this software officially hates me. grrrrrrrr

Valraven Guest
    Falconer, As a student of Grand Master Daniel Weng
    I would have to say that his skill is very high level. And he is always willing to show that to anyone who has a question about it.
    And for the record, Chicoine was introduced to GM Ch'ang by Master Weng. In fact, Chicoine started out as Weng's student.
    Chicoine's one time status as the Vice President of the International Shuai-chiao Association, (under GM Ch'ang) was administration position which was granted based on his financial stability, at the time (Most of GM Ch'ang's students were poor martial artists, putting themselves through school). Chicoine has always been junior in skill and rank to GM Weng.
    I have always heard what GM Ch'ang and other's thought of Chicoine's skill, but I have never personally seen it, and would never make coment to it on a public forum, as it certainly is not my place.
    I ask that you do the same, since GM Weng's proficiency and contribution to the art is quite apparent to those involved.
    The internal politics of Shuai-chiao and the various associations are not my concern. I train and I teach and I'm always willing to talk shop, but let us keep the tone respectful.

Monkeyslap, what is your e-mail address? I have a question for you

falconer Guest

Monkey Slap

Oh yea, almost forgot. I'll be leaving sometime friday afternoon, so I'll need the info by then. Just use the address in my profile.

falconer Guest
    I am well aware the Daniel Weng introduced Chicoine to Chang. As far as the skill and rank comment goes. Tell me exactly what rank did Daniel recieve from Chang?

I'm going to try to avoid a flame war here. Like I said before, I can't personally attest to Weng's skill. Most of what I know about him comes from others, specifically a former student of Matt Mollica. I've seen several of Daniel's students in action so to speak, one more than the others. And I must say, I wasn't impressed, nor were the untrained people in attended impressed, nor was one of my older kungfu brothers impressed with this person in the slightest.

Valraven Guest
    I don't know what student you are reffering to, but I don't really see how that matters.
    Being unimpressed by one student or students hardly reflects on the Master's skill.
    I'm sure not all of GM Chicoine's students are good. Secondly, let us both be realistic for a moment. You say what you say based on the stories told to you by your teacher. As do I.
    You are going to beleive him because he is your Sifu. I will believe GM Weng for the same reasons. Our conversations can still have a civil tone despite a difference of oppinion.
    There are tournaments in Ohio all the time. You can
    go to any of them and see first hand what his students are capable of

falconer Guest
    Ok, lets not let this go any further. Let the old men argue amongst themselves and lets stay out of it. If they really wanted to settle it, we could just lock em in the room for a half hour and see what happens.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Valraven

My eMail: MonkeySlap1@Home.com

Falconer - I'll try to pull it together by Friday. My take on much of the politics is that it is very unfortunate. I know my teacher very well, and he has always been a peacemaker, even when he is royally ticked at someone, and this is because he cares about the art more than himself. For him, the answers are on the mat.

I tend to think the solution is in doing things for the art and friendly competition.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

The rascist thing

In the latest IKF John Allen proclaimed that the reason Gene Chicoine does not take part in CMA events is because of a conspiracy by Chinese teachers and the 'media' to steal the spotlight.

I take the position that this is BS. I know many of these teachers. The problem may have more to do with Chicoine than with his fellow students of master Chang.

I think an important step for the future of our beloved art is for our generation to meet in friendly competition, as all Shuai Chiao students have throughout history.

After all, the truth is on the mat.