Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Players

Guitar Players

What's up guitar players, do any of you know of any sites where you can download backing tracks that you can solo over? That'd be awesome.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

what type of backing tracks?

just was gonna suggest kazaa, they've got so many, but i expect you already have tried there .
    thats all I can think of , sorry

soul

learn to play rhythm, ya lazybones!

Seriously, do you have a four track? You can make your own backing tracks with one, and that also gives you experience composing and arranging for a band.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Agree with CSN. Kazaa is a good suggestion. I havent been able to find much on the net.
    strike!

Kazaa doesn't work for my anymore.

I use WinMX now.

Anyway, I found a site with a few Satriani and Vai backing midi files. I have an mp3 of Satriani's "War."

I was looking more for generic hard rock/metal backing tracks to solo over. Nothing in particular (as in like, real songs), but just random stuff.

I can make my own, but:

a) It sounds like crap when I record it with a sound program because I just the mic sitting in the open air (ie. no direct connect to my amp

b) It takes forever to make a midi the way I want it, and even then it sounds like a midi, which is better than nothing, but still.

Yeah.

Hey if you guys want I'll post the site with the Satch and Vai backing tracks. I think there were also some Dream Theater ones.

IronFist

Vai? Satriani?! DREAM THEATER??!!?

I wash my hands of you, sir!

My recommendation is to download some Thelonious Monk and James Brown and use that as your backing tracks. 'Cause, you know, that's more the style I like.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

I agree with csn's 1st post, making your own backings will be much more beneficial to you and its more fun!!!

CSN, to each his own

IronFist

Of course. I'm a very tolerant person of others' differences. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid or ignorant it is.
    Crippled Avenger

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    CSN

If you dont like metal, youre not my friend
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Metal is for wusses - if you want me to send you a burn of some really vicious jazz like The Acid Mothers Temple, The Die Like a Dog Quartet, or Last Exit, I'd be happy to show you what real noise and aggression is all about.
    Crippled Avenger

Forget bands, Chang Style Novice.

The economic pinnacle of guitar playing, as far as jazz goes, is unaccompanied jazz guitar!

I mean "economic" as far as getting gigs goes. As a jazz guitar player who gigs alone, I don't have to pay a band and get to collect ALL the money.

Johnny Smith and George Van Eps are my idols, with Joe Pass in second place. Each one of these guys can carry a tune with solo lines AND rhythm completely without assistance from bass or drums.

Even Steve Vai had his roots in unaccompanied jazz guitar. I know because my teacher taught him when he was a youngster from Carle Place in NY.

Huang -

Ever heard Charlie Hunter? He takes that approach to an extra level - he invented an instrument for himself that has three bass strings and five guitar strings on the same neck! This funked-up axe has seperate pickups and electronics for each, and one set of signals goes to a bass amp, the other to a guitar amp. To improve tone and playability, the frets are 'fanned', so the low strings have a longer scale than the high strings. He plays basslines, harmony chords, and solos all simultaneously. I've seen him live several times, once from very close, and (although I admit I can barely strum a I-IV-V progression) I have no idea how he does it. It's almost like he's playing a b-3 organ with the footpedals and everything, only it's a guitar(ish thing.)

Musically, he's not really innovative (although plenty listenable,) but technically he's the 8th Wonder.
    Crippled Avenger

Charlie Hunter is fucking ridiculous. To think I used to struggle with Clapton. Quite embarassing.

Anyway, Ironfist. All of the stuff I've seen on the net is wank. Best bet would be to get a Soundcard that can take a guitar lead and download or buy some software.

Trust me, you can have a right laugh messing around, and can even record your own ****.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Hey here something, you americans probly dont know, not really metal and not jazz and not music for background either

Look for mp3s from a band called Chico Science & Nação Zumbi, type just the name of the songs without the graphic accents such as ~ and others that you find it easier i think.
    Its in portuguese and the dude has a totally whack northeasterner brazilian accent, dunno if an american ear would dig it, but i think its sweet.

A few short instrumentals:
    Quilombo Groove
    Lixo do mangue
    Salustiano song
    Baião ambiental

Theres this one im addicted to now:
    Meu maracatu pesa uma tonelada (this after Chico died, so the band is called just Nação Zumbi)

Some cool from when Chico was still living:
    Manguetown
    Maracatu atômico
    A Cidade
    Da lama ao caos
    Samba de lado
    Um passeio no mundo livre
    Um satélite na cabeça
    Sobremesa
    Sangue de bairro
    Enquanto o mundo explode
    Interlude Zumbi