Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Players

Originally posted by Xebsball
    CSN

If you dont like metal, youre not my friend
    Have I mentioned that xebsball is the coolest guy I know?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    Even Steve Vai had his roots in unaccompanied jazz guitar. I know because my teacher taught him when he was a youngster from Carle Place in NY.
    Your teacher was Joe Satriani?

IronFist

Xebs, I'll check out some of those bands tomorrow.

Have you ever heard Michael Angelo Batio's solo stuff? He's the fastest guitar player I've ever heard. I don't think his ability to compose is on par with Vai's (anyone who can compose something as intricate as Fire Garden Suite has my respect), but technically he is incredible. He sweep picks more clearly than anyone I've ever heard before. And, I like the sound he has. Download "No Boundaries" (but not No Boundaries Part 2 cuz part 2 is stupid), "the Jam Game" is cool, too.

Now, while we're on the topic of guitarrists, Marty Friedman's solo stuff is amazing, too, if you're in to metal.

But my favorite guitar solo right now is the solo at the end of "Kissing the Shadows" by Children of Bodom. That solo owns me.

As for jazz, no offence to the jazz guys here, but I don't like it. Same with blues. It's funny because all the people I think are so awesome say they are influenced by jazz and blues, but I can't stand either one.

Now to really piss off the guitar fans here. I can't stand Jimi Hendrix's music, either. Again, most bands I listen to site him as an influence, but I can't stand his music. He can't sing, his guitar playing is nothing special... I guess he was revolutionary for his time, but still.

Alright, rant over.

IronFist

If you play jazz (which I guess you don't, but anyway...) then you can buy those Jamey Abersold Play Alongs, which are rhythm section tracks for hundreds of different tunes.

Iron, I really would recommend learning some jazz, it'll give you SO much shi.t to play in your other music that you wouldn't have known before. I'm mainly a rock and blues guitarist, but I'm a jazz sax player, and I've transferred some of my jazz lines to the guitar. Listening to people like Vai and Satriani, with a knowledge of jazz lines and chords, it's really amazing what you hear that you didn't before (I loved all that stuff before getting into jazz at all. I even, *shudder*, practiced a Yngwie tune or two). Well, after that Yngwie confession, I shall suffer eternally in the fires that burn but do not consume, so I better leave it at that.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Good lord, that's fuc.kin hilarious!!! Ah, Yngwie.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Buy magazines with cd's on the front - they often give backing tracks.

Also bought a tutoring set called 'total accuracy' which give you lessons (on tape and on paper) on how to play certain songs, and comes with cd's that have the backing tracks
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

I usually record my rythym, then play over top of it til I find what fits, then I record that too.

If you can't think up your own rythyms, and want to play other peoples music, try http://www.olga.net you can downlaod tab and chords there.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i've just started guitar, I havent got a teacher yet but thats because i figured i should try and get my coordination right by doing scales and learning simple chords (well a friend of mine said that this would save me on a few lessons that i could teach myself to a certain point).
    Its wierd to me because im used to drumming and my fingers are still quite clumsy.....
    so im gonna practise like this for a month or so i figured just so that i can save abit when it comes to the lessons (call me a cheapskate)
    i found one site that shows you the basics - how to hold a pick, holding the guitar, tuning, etc.....
    like i said im practicing scales to get better coodination.

can anyone recommend any good beginner books or sites to help me along?

any help would be most appreciated

soul

The best known beginner instrcutions (on this side of the pond) are Mel Bay's.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Smile

Courtesy of Delicate Sound.
    www.GuitarNoise.com
    BTW. Hendrix rules and Yngwie drools.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I gotta agree with CSN on the Mel bay guitar books. They are the best out there.

I still have my old Mel Bay books!

Oh yeah, finger strength and dexterity will take you about 18 months to get a handle on. That's the hard part, after that, tunes come like water.

kinda like kungfu really

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's the best, ain't it guohuen

Give me Clapton and Gilmour anyday.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

thnx guys

It's groovy D.S.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish