Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hero <<Ying Xiong>>

Heros and the Oscars

Shame about the nomination last night. Somehow, I was really skeptical that Hero would get anything, again under the shadow of CTHD, but I was still hoping...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Originally posted by hakka mui
    The political aspect of it all left a bad taste in my mouth though - the unification of China through military force.
    Agreed!

Hasn't Zhang Yimou had kind of a reputation of being aginst the regime? This movie can only be interpreted the other way around. But, maybe it should not be interpreted.

Hero

This is why I think you DO need to know China's history - it's not about military might, it's about emperor Qin, the first emperor and China's founder. If you don't understand the context of Qin, you might interpret it all as military might. All the dynasties begin with a military overthrow, then collapse under the weight of their own opulence. Such is the history of China.

Anyways, we got Hero for you now, on DVD, for region 1 (USA & Canada DVD platform. Hero - $19.95 Get 'em while the last!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OTOH, it is quite possible to tell things about modern times without shouting them out too loudly, if you set your stories in ancient times. It was my impression that Zhang Yimou has done this a few times. But, maybe not in this one.

All the dynasties begin with a military overthrow, then collapse under the weight of their own opulence. Such is the history of China.
    Such is the history of the world.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hero revisted

I just saw Hero again - this time on DVD on a fat widscreen TV with the full on surround sound hook up (my initial viewing was off a bootleg VCD.) It was an extraordinary experience. Hero is becoming my pick for the most beautiful martial arts film of all time. Unfortunately, I still think it will go past most people. It doesn't have enough martial arts to satisfy fight scene junkies and it's a bit complex for the average viewer. But in terms of the over all message and the spectacle, it is beginning to rival The Seven Samurai as one of my all time favorite martial movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think Hero is alot better than CTHD. It has a better flow in the movie and it's story is more complex but really quite simple. Dare I say, more beautiful than CTHD? yeah I do
    The only thing that I liked better about CTHD was the music....
    Coco Lee - a love before time (chinese version)
    Musical poetry
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Re: Hero revisted

Originally posted by GeneChing
    I just saw Hero again - this time on DVD on a fat widscreen TV with the full on surround sound hook up (my initial viewing was off a bootleg VCD.) It was an extraordinary experience. Hero is becoming my pick for the most beautiful martial arts film of all time. Unfortunately, I still think it will go past most people. It doesn't have enough martial arts to satisfy fight scene junkies and it's a bit complex for the average viewer. But in terms of the over all message and the spectacle, it is beginning to rival The Seven Samurai as one of my all time favorite martial movies.
    *Gasp* Blasphemy! LOL
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

I said "becoming"

It's not there yet. Mind you, I've seen Seven Samurai on the big screen several times and I have yet to see Hero there. I'd have to see Hero a few dozen more times before it gets close to Seven Samurai, but I might do that.

Was that the blasphemy?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I thought it was a good flick. I didn't appreciate the political message, but putting that aside I really enjoyed the movie.

Dezhen - I'll burn you a copy when you are in town.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

hero politics

That's interesting. The political message has come up here before, but it didn't really bother me. Perhaps because I know something about the history of the first emperor, it all made sense. What bothered you so much about it exactly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips