Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hero <<Ying Xiong>>

Hero <<Ying Xiong>>

Hi all,

I watched Hero last week at the cinema and compared to all the hype that China (its all over TV and cinema seats are always full house requiring purchase in advance) has given the film with big names such as Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Zhang Zi Yi ........ I found it to be more of the same.

Cinematography mimicked Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon(CTHD) from the camera angles in fights to even the flying around. Even the combat sounds and the drumming (that cool drumming from CTHD) is also in Hero.

Though it had interesting little action pieces the worst thing was the Story I mean even the name hero should be changed to Killing sword in Ten Steps not undertaken.

Anyway what did everyone else think.

Regards
    Wu Chan Long

thanks for the info

its not released here in the uk yet and i really hope it is soon. i also hope its worthwhile as it has had a lot of hype. I really wanna see something breathtaking from jet li, as i know he can do it and am fed up of the 'american' action - like tuxedo and the one... mediocre action at best

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Thanks for the advance SM!

I have 3 questions for you:
    1. Is it better or worse than CTHD?
    2. Did you like CTHD?
    3. Do you like Zhang Yimou?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, no spoilers from you all in asia

Just get us the copies asap! Thanks for the advanced reports.

The papers said there was a big crackdown on internet cafes in China after a big lethal fire at one. Did that affect any of you in-China members?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

walked into my local vcd rental place today and the owner was kind enough to point out hero. i may not have the scruples/willpower of others so i rented it (obvious pirate job).
    it started with that short trailer/advert spot that was mentioned so i was afraid it was just a "making of" thing that i saw mentioned on the li lian jie thread
    but it was all there (just the 90 or so minute version).
    video quality was good for a pirate vcd.

incidentally i had to pay 3 yuan rather than the usual 1 yuan to rent it and had to put 30 yuan on deposit rather than the usual 10 yuan...and they wanted it returned within two hours

all in all i really liked it. i'm not sure what more they're gonna put in the extra 30 minutes as it seemed pretty complete to me.

previously my favorite kung fu movies have been crouching tiger, taiji zhang san feng (tai chi master), and wu shi (the korean movie that i still havent seen in english), drunken master 2, and that shaolin movie with gordon liu where he has to go through all the training (was it 36 Chambers?).

so take this for what its worth but i thought it was as good or better than all of those. don't want to give any spoilers, so i won't comment on the fight scenes or the story, but i thought the story was well done.

the subtitles appeared to be incorporated into the film and varied very little from the chinese that i could understand, so all copies will probably have english in them.

wangsizhong
    Last edited by wangsizhong; 01-14-2003 at 02:59 AM.

Thumbs up

interesting - maybe the man gets a hot kiss after all?

i got some contacts in china so i think i will have to see what i can do about the VCD

as for miramax why do they htink those who go to see a kung fu movie dont wanna see so much kung fu?

dawood

Cool

Just got the DVD & the VCD, one sent from Hong Kong the other I picked up in Chinatown. Also just got Bullet Proof Monk (Chow Yuen Fat's latest), ironically they were reshooting the ending here in Vancouver.

Honestly I didn't enjoy Hero as much as CTHD. Although some of the action in Hero is executed a little better, I didn't feel filming of the action in Hero was a good as CTHD. As CHTD had a chemistry between the cast that helped drive the story that I didn't find in Hero.

Don't get me wrong I would still recommend Hero, it is a good film, well done (although even more over the top then CTHD) and definitely worth a watch if you are into the genre.

Thumbs up

cool, i like the fantasy/kung fu genre... "a man called hero" is one of my all time favourites, as well as the original Zu: warriors of magic mountain and samo's encounters of the spooky kind

dawood

Miramax has royally screwed up distribution 0f this and 0ther HK movies here in the states. They suck
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Question

Has the VCD been "released" on P2P?

I wouldn't mind paying $10 US for a copy (incl shipping), but the profiteers on eBay are asking $20-$30.
    Last edited by [Censored]; 01-27-2003 at 06:12 PM.

The "official" bbotleg has been recalled and the company is being sued. The official bootleg vcd is now off the shelves. But i still got my copy.

I may have misunderstood your meaning of "official". I thought the studio itself must have released a degraded copy.

How can ebay have something on dvd that is not yet released in North America in regular movie theaters?. And i take it that if they had it it would be the miramax verison.

No; it's easy to convert a VCD to DVD. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the bootleg; the English subs are covered up by the seat in front of the camera.

So they released a vcd, NOT DVD, (no matter how easy it is to do a DVD).

What I meant is that anyone who has the VCD can turn it into a DVD on their home PC. And re-sell it as a DVD on eBay, if they are so unscrupulous.

The VCD they did release was a superior copy of filmed-in theater in Hong Kong with english subtitles. Everything, including the subtitles were quite clear. I guess when you are say "covered up by the seat in front of the camera" , you are just imagining what it might be instead of what is. I don't think it is on e-bay, you were probably thinking of what might be, not what is. Is that correct?

No, I didn't imagine it, I saw it. So there must be more than one version floating around. I don't know which version they are selling online.

I've seen it on Ebay as well.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

better late then never

Finally got to see Hero in Malaysia this CNY.

Overall, I loved it. The music is reminiscint of CTHD. Other then that, very different.

The best fight seen was between Donnie Yen and Jet Li. Man, everytime those two fight on screen it's great.

CTHD seemed to have a more developed story but Hero wasn't bad. The filming was a bit artistic for my taste but it did lend to some epic scenes.

For all the people there, the fights were small scale. The arrows were cool.

Anyone know if the DVD is out yet? (real) I think it would worth getting. The story seemed a bit choppy.

Hero

We have a bootleg Taiwan VCD here where you can see the heads of people in the audience. I hear that the official VCDs and DVDs are to be released this month (FEB) so they should be surfacing pretty soon at your favorite chinatown shop or website.

U.S theatrical release was hinging on if it got nominated for an Oscar for international. I heard that it didn't. Anyone know for sure? I also heard that it was nominated for a Golden Globe but didn't win. Again, these are just rumors and I haven't gone to the trouble of validating them. Hopefully someone here can do that for us.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips