View Poll Results: Do dogs experience emotions?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Happiness, affection, remorse, etc.

23 100.00%
  • No: Dogs basically exist to eat, breed, and sleep.

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: Do dogs experience emotions?

O/T: Do dogs experience emotions?

Most people have one of two beliefs.

1. Dogs spend most of their life in search of food. This is why they get all excited when you eat something... cuz you might drop something on the floor or break off a piece for them. They also know that if they do the tricks (sit, shake, lay down, etc.) you want, they'll get rewarded with food. So, it could be assumed that dogs pay attention to you and spend time with you because they think that increases their chances of getting food or treats, which is basically their main objective in life.

Similarly, if a dog does something that he thinks you will percieve as "bad" (like if he knocks something off a table), he will cower not because he feels remorse, but because he fears your wrath (yelling, scolding, hopefully not actually hitting, etc.).

2. Dogs experience emotions similar to those of humans, and actually spend time with you because they have fun and want to. If they do something bad, they feel bad, etc.

What do you think?

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-30-2002 at 12:15 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

they have emotions.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

dogs definately have emotions, theyre just way more overpowering than ours are.
    Travis

structure in motion

yeah i think they do.

no doubt in my mind they do.

Dogs, yes. Cats, no.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

They experience emotions.

A good friend of mine is an anthropologist, did a lot of research work with chimps who could do sign. She has a whole bunch of studies that suggest just about all animals have emotions of one sort or another. She's found no legitimate studies that suggest they do not. Make of that what you will.

This is from an anthropologist who has directly communicated with animals through a common language.

KC - I'm curious how far your friend's claims extend. I have a hunch that emotions are pretty much exclusive to mammals (people, dogs, ninjas) and maybe birds. Or put another way:

I have a hard time buying that turtles, tuna, termites or tarantulas have emotions.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Chang,

I believe the common held belief based on research and brain structure is that most social animals experience "emotions" to a varying degree. These emotions are part of the glue that binds their societies together.

As for tuna and turtles, very primitive parts of the brain regulate fear, agression, pleasure, etc. This means that in it's basest sense, all animals experience emotions.

The main question that plagues researchers today is how these animals experience the emotions. Are social animals like the chimp, wolf, etc self aware? Do they know they are an individual?

As for tuna and turtles, very primitive parts of the brain regulate fear, agression, pleasure, etc.
    Hence the reason Bill Parcells is likely to become the next coach of the dallas cowboys.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Hahaha, Oh my dear God. That will be a match make in heaven.
    Btw, What do you call a room full of millionaires watching the superbowl on television? The Dallas cowboys.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

What do you call a room full of millionaires watching the superbowl on television?
    Last year's superbowl teams.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

"As for tuna and turtles, very primitive parts of the brain regulate fear, agression, pleasure, etc. This means that in it's basest sense, all animals experience emotions."

This strikes me as merely begging the question. At what point do mere instinctive behaviors become complex enough to be called emotions? It may be simple anti-arthropod bigotry, but I don't think cockroaches can be said to be emotional creatures, even though they avoid pain, seek out food and sex, etc..

A dog, on the other hand, will demostrate recognizable playfulness, greed, remorse, hatred, protectiveness, they'll pine for absent loved ones (loneliness), hell, I'm pretty sure I've known neurotic and manic-depressive dogs.
    Crippled Avenger

Braden Guest
    Have you spent as much time cultivating relationships with ants as you have with dogs though?

If by 'cultivating relationships' you mean 'trying to keep them out of the god**** kitchen,' then yes.
    Crippled Avenger