Thread: " Chain Striking "

Thumbs up " Chain Striking "

Hello everyone,

I was wondering something and thought i'd post it here at KFO.

How many of you are taught or use " Chain Striking " in your attacks? I notice that most martial artist tend to attack like boxers. Kinda jab or throw a punch or kick ,and wait for the other person to react. I also ask this because on one forum i visited a couple of the members were telling ppl to join a Krav Maga school because they teach you how to keep attacking.

Now i could be wrong here ,but i thought all martial arts taught that manner of attack?

The karate and kung fu schools i've attended all taught that you attack and keep attacking until the person is down or retreats.You don't just use a technique and wait for the guy to counter.My sifu stresses chain attack all the time.Whether it be punches,kicks,or a combo of both.

Am i the only person seeing this or do many of you see the samething?

jmd161
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Stacey Guest
    we've never heard of that.

You mean you only attack one time and not relentlessly? Hmmmm. I think you just invented something great.

Arrow Ok so what's your answer?

Originally posted by Stacey
    we've never heard of that.

You mean you only attack one time and not relentlessly? Hmmmm. I think you just invented something great.
    Stacey,

I was asking have you noticed this also that many martial artist fight this way ,but i guess you just chose to be sarcastic instead?

jmd161
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Stacey Guest
    no I was serious, I grew up studying karate and I still have the one punch one kill mentality.

Mostly I get beat up. Better go practice those twist punches.

attacks? I notice that most martial artist tend to attack like boxers. Kinda jab or throw a punch or kick ,and wait for the other person to react.
    The karate and kung fu schools i've attended all taught that you attack and keep attacking until the person is down or retreats.
    Here's a thought - maybe boxers actually fight enough to know that constant attack isn't necessarily a good idea.
    Just something to consider.

Lee Casebolt

A boxing/sparring match and a fight fall into two different fighting areas.

In a set match -- whether it's light contact, full contact, NHB, whatever -- the goal is to learn how to win. You're going up against an opponent in a controlled environment. The hesitation you see is (a) beginners saying, "you go first" "no, you go first"; or (b) opponents at all levels resting/pacing themselves since rounds can last several minutes.

In a real fight, the goal is to win. Period. If you can achieve that in one punch, well good on ya. If "chain punching" works, great. Hesitating and waiting for the other guy to move first is risky at best. Move in, strike, counter, and keep it up until the guy goes down or runs away, but don't give him time to think about his next move. A real fight may only last a couple of seconds, and it probably won't go for more than 30 seconds.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

In a real fight, you assume that you have the superior skill, unlike in a sportive match. Also your situation is more desperate. It is well to prepare yourself for the situation where you have already landed something substantial. Keep hitting him until he goes down. Once he is on the ground, not by choice but because you knocked him down, you have won the fight effectively. Now I'm sure that most pro boxers in a streetfight, would unleash a furry of punches and straight put the guy down fast, assuming they didn't break their hand on the other guys head or do something stupid.

jmd161:
    I used to have that "one-attack" mentality too. It came from several years of sport karate where all of our sparring was point fighting training. It took a year or two of kempo before I really got to where I could chain-strike, or make my techniques flow. If your instructor is teaching you to flow from kicking to stricking to trapping to the ground he is probably giving you good self defense training.

I have a one punch one kill mentality. But good fighters are like cats. You have to kill them again and again and again ANDAGAIN ANDAGAIN ! ! ! KEEP KILLING HIM UNTILL YOUR KNUCKLES BLEEEEEDDD |!! !

whew.

the problem with chain attacking is if they aren't landing - i.e. getting blocked, dodged or diverted - the longer you chain a series of attacks the easier it is for you opponent to pick up what is coming next - eventually a counter will nail you as it is pretty easy once you know the limited options left

if a boxer lands he will keep hitting - otherwise it tends to be three and out. i.e throw a combination of three and then get out

What I was taught and believe anyway....
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

I think there is a place for both methods, just learning when to pick at them and when to unload is the key.